PDA

View Full Version : Horror video game

Eddy Gein
10-13-2005, 10:04 PM
I would love to play a WELL MADE horror movie game. like a jason fredy or leatherface something along thoes lines. for the most part any game based of a movie sucks and if its a horror move forget it. but id realy love to see a well made friday the 13th game or something like that.

noctuary
10-14-2005, 05:34 AM
Well, the Evil Dead games weren't that bad. Okay, the first one was a little bad, but it could've been worse. I don't think it's a problem with games based on horror movies in particular, but games based on any movie tend to be forgettable at best. Yet, somehow, they keep selling.

1beastieibe
10-14-2005, 12:13 PM
That sounds awesome Im surprised nothing like this has ever been made

crazy raplh
10-14-2005, 07:29 PM
a 3rd person jason would be cool.

ChEEbA
10-15-2005, 04:21 PM
See...if you'd just said "horror game" or "horror themed game", I could've helped out with suggestions, as could many of the gamers on this forum....as for movie based, well, the options are rather slimmer. There's some VERY scary games out there, and not many at all are based on movie franchises.

*The upcoming Land of the Dead game looks pretty decent, but personally, I'm looking out for the "other" game that romero's supposedly more heavily involved with...I don't have the name right now, but I'm sure it will become apparent closer to the games release date....
*From dusk til dawn, the third person action/shooter "sequel to the movie" kinda game was alright, fairly decent action, not too bad a storyline, simple to play...my copy was a little glitchy, but then again, it WAS pirated after all. Not THAT great, but better than a few movie tie-ins I've seen.
*The thing, I thought was a great game...true, I got pissed off with it at a point and uninstalled it, but, if you're looking for "well made" horror movie based games, this one was it. Very atmospheric, made you super paranoid in some parts, good use of music. Nice visuals and cutscenes, the storyline was like an extension on the first film, taking place ?during? and after the movie.
*Evil dead: fistfull of boomstick was quite fun, good combat system, chunky action. Forget "hail to the king", it was total shit by comparison, it was like a chore to play.
I haven't played the third one ?RESSURECTION? yet, but it looks good, quite like fistfull of boomstick did.

I know there's more, but those come to mind.
Like I said, you'd be better off looking for a horror/horror based game, your selection would be much greater.

Cynner
10-15-2005, 04:48 PM
If you can get past the fact that you have no true choice in completing the game, then Doom3 was excellent. Nice use of atmosphere, especially sound and you're never sure when something is going to jump out.

Cynner

The STE
10-15-2005, 05:34 PM
like a jason fredy or leatherface something along thoes lines.
http://www.nesfiles.com/NES/Friday_the_13th/Friday_the_13th_boxfront.jpg
http://www.atariguide.com/c4/469.jpg
http://www.atariguide.com/4/469i1p01-varSm.htm (instruction book for TCM game)
http://www.playersc.com/nightmare.JPG

ChEEbA
10-15-2005, 05:50 PM
The NOES one (for its time, and style of game) was actually pretty good...there was an even earlier version than the one showed, THAT one sucked. The nes version was fine.

The F13 one was weird...not altogether unplayable, but I didn't "get" it.

The TCM...played it on an emulator a few weeks ago...completely stupid and pointless, but kinda funny.

I'd say the NOES one you posted was the only one in the series that could come close to "well made".

The STE
10-15-2005, 05:55 PM
I'm with you on the F13 game thing, although at the time I don't think they had the capabilities to do up a proper game for it. If it'd been like Clocktower or something then it would've been pretty good.

crazy raplh
10-16-2005, 12:36 PM
they should just modernize the horror movie games.

thepsychicfetus
10-16-2005, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by ChEEbA
The NOES one (for its time, and style of game) was actually pretty good...there was an even earlier version than the one showed, THAT one sucked. The nes version was fine.

The F13 one was weird...not altogether unplayable, but I didn't "get" it.

The TCM...played it on an emulator a few weeks ago...completely stupid and pointless, but kinda funny.

I'd say the NOES one you posted was the only one in the series that could come close to "well made".

the F13 game on NES makes absolutely no sense. im still trying to figure out how to beat it to this day. you walk around, getting attacked by wolves and other creatures of the night and then you go into a cabin and fight with jason then he disappears until he finds you in another cabin. the NOES game was pretty sweet way back when. i enjoyed it.

p.s. for the gamers of horror.com: i was in a game store in montreal(the name slips my mind) and found a mint condition still in the box Nintendo Powerglove. i was amazed. it was a terrible contraption that did nothing but piss you off due to its intolerable controls, but nonetheless, it exists.

BH14
10-17-2005, 04:27 PM
House of the Dead is a good game as for the movie,.... IT RULES!!!! haha

Anyways, that new resident evil game looks pretty good. The Suffering is ok. I saw Silent Hill 4 for real cheap on PS2. It suppose to be good.

AmericanManiac
10-18-2005, 04:18 PM
I've played the land of the dead I have it on a demo disk I thought it was pretty good but you can carry many weapons I don't like that. I like the ones where your limited its more life like.