PDA

View Full Version : When horror...?

Lamoreux
07-25-2005, 09:34 AM
Newbie here... with only three or four days of lurking under my belt, so please forgive the intrusion. So far I've read threads on gay marriage, the meaning of life, what y'all like to eat, and what you'd like to do to Michael Bay. Fascinating. I do have one question, however, what day do you discuss "horror"?

Doug

Haphazard
07-25-2005, 09:40 AM
I think you should just worry about that little thing lurking under your belt.

http://vecherka.ykt.ru/html/pic/0531/fuck_you.jpg

EXTR3MIST
07-25-2005, 09:44 AM
Horror Movie Discussion forum, any day, any time.

novakru
07-25-2005, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Haphazard

http://vecherka.ykt.ru/html/pic/0531/fuck_you.jpg

LMAO!

Marroe
07-25-2005, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Lamoreux
Newbie here... with only three or four days of lurking under my belt, so please forgive the intrusion. So far I've read threads on gay marriage, the meaning of life, what y'all like to eat, and what you'd like to do to Michael Bay. Fascinating. I do have one question, however, what day do you discuss "horror"?

Doug Try exiting the GENERAL FORUM

Lamoreux
07-25-2005, 09:58 AM

Oh, I wasn't worried. I never begrudge anyone their form(s) of therapy. The pic you posted of my old girlfriend, for instance. I'm sure that did us both some good. (You got a thrill; I revisited an old memory.) But you didn't answer my question.

Horror anyone?

Doug

EXTR3MIST
07-25-2005, 10:00 AM
Go on then - fire away.

Marroe
07-25-2005, 10:02 AM
Oh, I wasn't worried. I never begrudge anyone their form(s) of therapy. The pic you posted of my old girlfriend, for instance. I'm sure that did us both some good. (You got a thrill; I revisited an old memory.) But you didn't answer my question.

Horror anyone?

Doug did you miss a few posts there? This is the GENERAL forum.....do we know the meaning of that word here?

Haphazard
07-25-2005, 10:05 AM
Yeah...listen bro.

GENERAL (as in Patton, Lee, Herpes (wait...no...you know what I mean).

Anyway, GENERAL means that we can and will discuss anything our wretched hearts desire. Sooo, as clearly pointed out by a few other people, get your fingers a tappin' over in the MOVIE sections and the like.

Lamoreux
07-25-2005, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Marroe
did you miss a few posts there? This is the GENERAL forum.....do we know the meaning of that word here?

It's entirely likely I've missed a lot of posts. As I said, I've been a member for less than a week.

I'm in no position to address what "we" know. I was just curious why, on the GENERAL FORUM of Horror.com, where I'm sure we both agree that members can discuss anything they like, nobody discusses horror.

Doug

novakru
07-25-2005, 10:10 AM

Horror anyone?

Doug

LMAO!

Touche`!!!

Marroe
07-25-2005, 10:11 AM
It's entirely likely I've missed a lot of posts. As I said, I've been a member for less than a week.

I'm in no position to address what "we" know. I was just curious why, on the GENERAL FORUM of Horror.com, where I'm sure we both agree that members can discuss anything they like, nobody discusses horror.

Doug Ok...you're pretty dumb then. Did you miss under the title of ths forum that it says "talk about ANYTHING here"? And there are horror threads......and by missing posts I meant in THIS thread, being YOURS, people usually read all of the posts in their threads when they're asking questions...even stupid ones.

newb
07-25-2005, 10:11 AM
http://www.prisonflicks.com/images/CHLCaptain.jpg

What we have here.....is a failure to communicate.

urgeok
07-25-2005, 10:12 AM

Doug

have you been on the planet less than a week ?

this is the GENERAL forum...

g e n e r a l

cant type it any slower.

filmmaker2
07-25-2005, 10:15 AM
This is where I like to talk about popular foods and also cats, rats, lizards and bunnies.

EXTR3MIST
07-25-2005, 10:16 AM
g e n e r a l

Lamoreux
07-25-2005, 10:16 AM
Yeah...listen bro. ...

Anyway, GENERAL means that we can and will discuss anything our wretched hearts desire. Sooo, as clearly pointed out by a few other people, get your fingers a tappin' over in the MOVIE sections and the like.

I'm not your bro. I already agreed you ought to discuss anything you wanted. And I haven't said a word about movies.

Apparently GENERAL means everything except horror as a number of you have invited me to get off the forum for posing a question about it.

Doug

Marroe
07-25-2005, 10:19 AM
There's no use...this Doug is either that dense, or just here to try and get everyone heated...either way he's pretty dumb.

newb
07-25-2005, 10:21 AM

Apparently GENERAL means everything except horror as a number of you have invited me to get off the forum for posing a question about it.

Doug

Yeah...thats it.....now please leave.

Marroe
07-25-2005, 10:21 AM
I'm not your bro. I already agreed you ought to discuss anything you wanted. And I haven't said a word about movies.

Doug and no...I think what we've said was high tail it over to the movie forums....There's a whole section dedicated to nothing but HORROR MOVIES

newb
07-25-2005, 10:23 AM
Now back to the important topics......When wiping your ass, do you reach around or go between the leggs?

EXTR3MIST
07-25-2005, 10:24 AM
Sometimes, on occasion, folk may discuss horror within the General Forum.

However, these types may become subject to harsh sexual assaults - particularly down there, round the back.

novakru

Horror anyone?

Doug

I know he is new,but that was good!!That was too funny.

......please don't hit me.....lol

Haunted
And he's maintaining that annoying habit of signing his name...like...I don't know....HIGH PRIEST WISE

Look, sometimes we do discuss horror here. We've got all of those other forums for really in depth discussions. I guess you missed Creeper's post on werewolves. Patience is a fucking virtue, and also, if you don't like the way we captain our ship, go sail your own

EXTR3MIST
Hmmm, these last 2 posts are oddly similar.

Lamoreux
07-25-2005, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Marroe
There's no use...this Doug is either that dense, or just here to try and get everyone heated...

I knew you'd get it eventually.

More interesting than "Hi, I'm new. Please welcome me."

Doug

Haunted
07-25-2005, 10:26 AM
What are you talking about?:confused: :confused: I was talking to Extr3mist

EXTR3MIST
07-25-2005, 10:26 AM
Dontcha just dig Doug?

Haunted
07-25-2005, 10:27 AM
Dig Doug!!! Yes!! I used to love that game when I was a kid!

Haphazard
07-25-2005, 10:27 AM

Doug

Ok...here's the thing, dicksnot.

You don't come onto a fucking forum with your first post being a sarcastic way of asking if we talk about horror at all.

If you REALLY wanted some advice or guidence -- instead of just trying to get attention -- than your post would've looked something like this:

"Hi. I am Doug. I am from Jackson Hole, Wyoming and I like to discuss the topic of horror. Can some of you kind people tell me where this takes place?"

Haphazard
07-25-2005, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by newb
Now back to the important topics......When wiping your ass, do you reach around or go between the leggs?

I get someone else to wipe my ass.

Haunted
07-25-2005, 10:29 AM
Okay, Hap, you know better. That would have gotten him flamed so much that his asshole would burn next time he took a dump.

Gee, there seems to be a "butt" theme running in this thread.

EXTR3MIST
07-25-2005, 10:29 AM
You don't come onto a fucking forum

In a Fucking Forum, Doug would likely want to talk about Horror.

urgeok
07-25-2005, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by novakru

i didnt think it was even remotely funny ...

but maybe thats just me.

personally i think the guy is a wanker ..

unfunny, uninteresting, and not clever enough to cause shit of any significance.

ho hum

Haunted
07-25-2005, 10:32 AM
TRXY- Okay, DOM, I'm wipping you!
Doug- I really liked Seed of Chucky!

Lamoreux
07-25-2005, 10:34 AM
Ok...here's the thing, dicksnot.

You don't come onto a fucking forum with your first post being a sarcastic way of asking if we talk about horror at all.

If you REALLY wanted some advice or guidence

I ddin't come to horror.com for advice or guidance. And, considering the number of names you've called me in just the last few minutes, you'll understand if it doesn't bother me too terribly much that your feelings appear to be hurt.

Haphazard
07-25-2005, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Haunted
Okay, Hap, you know better. That would have gotten him flamed so much that his asshole would burn next time he took a dump.

Gee, there seems to be a "butt" theme running in this thread.

Yeah, butt...butt...I was just making a funny. I really do wipe my own ass.

Originally posted by EXTR3MIST
In a Fucking Forum, Doug would likely want to talk about Horror.

Hahahahahahahaha!

Lamoreux
07-25-2005, 10:38 AM
TRXY- Okay, DOM, I'm wipping you!
Doug- I really liked Seed of Chucky!

Touche'

Haunted
07-25-2005, 10:38 AM
Are you going to sit here and argue with the members of this forum all day? I mean if you're trying to have this intellectual one-upmanship with us, it won't work. Many of us are either out of your intellectual league or so damn funny and carefree it wouldn't matter.

Let me speak plainly, Dougie, cut your losses and get the hell out. You're wasting space. Thank you.

Haphazard
07-25-2005, 10:39 AM
I ddin't come to horror.com for advice or guidance. And, considering the number of names you've called me in just the last few minutes, you'll understand if it doesn't bother me too terribly much that your feelings appear to be hurt.

*pats good ol' Dougie on the head*

Ahhh, Doug...don't worry. Although may feelings are a bit hurt from your idiotic posts...there have been way more moronic newbs than you.

That's a compliment, by the way.

Lamoreux
07-25-2005, 10:41 AM
*pats good ol' Dougie on the head*

Ahhh, Doug...don't worry. Although may feelings are a bit hurt from your idiotic posts...there have been way more moronic newbs than you.

That's a compliment, by the way.

And I appreciate it :-)

jenna26
07-25-2005, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by urgeok
unfunny, uninteresting, and not clever enough to cause shit of any significance.

Yep, pretty much my thoughts on the issue as well.

Haunted
07-25-2005, 10:44 AM
Sorry to dig up rotting corpses, everyone, but I wanted to briefly mention Darth Maul as the funniest idiot we've had.

Remember how he used to post as if he were part of cast of Hellraiser? He called me a whore and told me that my pain would be legendary. Oh that guy...:D

Haphazard
07-25-2005, 10:46 AM
Sorry to dig up rotting corpses, everyone, but I wanted to briefly mention Darth Maul as the funniest idiot we've had.

Remember how he used to post as if he were part of cast of Hellraiser? He called me a whore and told me that my pain would be legendary. Oh that guy...:D

Wait...you're NOT a whore?

*leaves forum*

:D :p ;)

Haphazard
07-25-2005, 10:48 AM
And I appreciate it :-)

You got it. ;)

But seriously man...if you'd like to seriously discuss some horror-related topics, head over to the other sections before too many other people catch wind of this post and totally shut you out.

Haunted
07-25-2005, 10:49 AM
Hey, you could even start a discussion in this forum. Please make it a good one, though.

Lamoreux
07-25-2005, 10:50 AM
You got it. ;)

But seriously man...if you'd like to seriously discuss some horror-related topics, head over to the other sections before too many other people catch wind of this post and totally shut you out.

Thanks.

Haunted
07-25-2005, 10:54 AM
Okay, people, all clear! Nothing to see here! Everything's fine. Please remain behind the yellow line. Nothing to see here!

urgeok
07-25-2005, 10:55 AM
Okay, people, all clear! Nothing to see here! Everything's fine. Please remain behind the yellow line. Nothing to see here!

i said that to a belwildered group of people in a art gallery once ...
(to the embarrasment of my companions)

fannyface
07-25-2005, 10:57 AM
I enjoy a bit of horror too ;)

Lamoreux
07-25-2005, 10:58 AM
Hey, you could even start a discussion in this forum. Please make it a good one, though.

Thank you. I'll try.

What is it about horror; movies, fiction... whatever, that draws people in? The old "people like to be thrilled" comparison to the roller coaster, et al, seems lame and unable to cover it. There's something deeper and darker in us - isn't there?

I'd say, "Or am I full of crap?" but I think we've covered that already :-)

I dated a paramedic who loved going to accidents. (yeah) Wasn't remotely bothered by the sight of blood. But couldn't watch a horror film.

Does horror attract us on an instinctive level?

Haphazard
07-25-2005, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by fannyface
I enjoy a bit of horror too ;)

Aahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

I am literally laughing out loud regarding pretty much EVERYTHING about your post!!!

From the fucking avatar...right on down to the mummy card!

Hilarious shit.

zwoti
07-25-2005, 11:01 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/zwoti/scans/Thread-Crap-Forget.jpg

Haphazard
07-25-2005, 11:03 AM
Thank you. I'll try.

What is it about horror; movies, fiction... whatever, that draws people in? The old "people like to be thrilled" comparison to the roller coaster, et al, seems lame and unable to cover it. There's something deeper and darker in us - isn't there?

I dated a paramedic who loved going to accidents. (yeah) Wasn't remotely bothered by the sight of blood. But couldn't watch a horror film.

I knew you had it in you, dougie boy!!

Great post!

Not that I have anything really profound to say in response to it...but again, great topic.

Sure, it has been discussed many times over before...but you obviously wouldn't be aware of that. But I do like the angle that you're taking by thinking that we all may have a "dark" persona within ourselves.

I'll let the intellectuals take it from here...

Haphazard
07-25-2005, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by zwoti
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/zwoti/scans/Thread-Crap-Forget.jpg

LOL! Did you make that...or was it googled?

novakru
07-25-2005, 11:07 AM
Thank you. I'll try.

We are born be bad....look how hard it is to train and teach a child to live by the rules and be polite.....or look how easy it is to get a bad kid(just take a stroll in Walmart on Sunday and you can see what I mean...)

I think it is easy to be evil,it takes work to be a good-but as we work,thank god,there are horror movies.

zwoti
07-25-2005, 11:08 AM
LOL! Did you make that...or was it googled?

i'll never tell

novakru
07-25-2005, 11:09 AM
Wait...you're NOT a whore?

*leaves forum*

:D :p ;)

Lamoreux
07-25-2005, 11:22 AM
We are born be bad....look how hard it is to train and teach a child to live by the rules and be polite.....or look how easy it is to get a bad kid(just take a stroll in Walmart on Sunday and you can see what I mean...)

I think it is easy to be evil,it takes work to be a good-but as we work,thank god,there are horror movies.

I get these elements confused often when considering this topic. Good/evil, Right/wrong, Fear/and whatever the hell is the opposite of fear. I've loved horror films and fiction forever, but have never really been able to figure out why.

We love being scared in a theatre; hate being scared when our little brother jumps out of the dark unexpectedly. But love to jump out of the dark at someone else.

jenna26
07-25-2005, 11:34 AM

I don't think we are born to be bad exactly. There is a difference between thoughtlessness and selfishness and bad. Children are selfish, they don't really have a concept of how things affect anyone but themselves.

But I do believe that everyone has a dark side and is drawn to or fascinated by evil in some way. And the ones that acknowledge it are much healthier in my opinion.

Haphazard
07-25-2005, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by jenna26

But I do believe that everyone has a dark side and is drawn to or fascinated by evil in some way. And the ones that acknowledge it are much healthier in my opinion.

Agreed.

Eric
07-25-2005, 11:40 AM
No its not

Lamoreux
07-25-2005, 11:45 AM
... But I do believe that everyone has a dark side and is drawn to or fascinated by evil in some way. And the ones that acknowledge it are much healthier in my opinion.

I agree.

I've talked to a lot of people who thought that if you were into horror, you were also into horrible things. But I think the true monsters in society, your Jeffrey Dahmers, etc, have acted on the evil within without ever having acknowledged it.

While those that are into horror as an entertainment, acknowledge our dark sides without necessarily acting on them.

Haphazard
07-25-2005, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Eric
No its not

Umm, what's "not?"

Haphazard
07-25-2005, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by hellboy
I believe he means it's not healthy to have an evil streak.

Gotcha.

Well, I don't necessarily think it is "healthy" to be evil...or to act out in a demonic manner.

I just think a person is more in tune with themselves if they do acknowledge that they have a fascination with evil and the unknown.

I mean...there is not one bone in my body that has any urges to do things that real killers do. But I am however interested in that type of story and the ongoing study of what makes them tick.

jenna26
07-25-2005, 11:53 AM
I agree.

I've talked to a lot of people who thought that if you were into horror, you were also into horrible things. But I think the true monsters in society, your Jeffrey Dahmers, etc, have acted on the evil within without ever having acknowledged it.

While those that are into horror as an entertainment, acknowledge our dark sides without necessarily acting on them.

Oh I know.....some people automatically seem to assume you are sick in some way if you are a true horror fan. I won't even watch anything real myself(Faces of Death for example), because I can't detach myself from it and I don't really want to. But there are those that assume that I do from the start just because of the films that I enjoy. Yes, I am drawn to violent films and literature, but I know the difference between fantasy and reality. And I have never hurt anyone in my life.

jenna26
07-25-2005, 12:00 PM
Gotcha.

Well, I don't necessarily think it is "healthy" to be evil...or to act out in a demonic manner.

I just think a person is more in tune with themselves if they do acknowledge that they have a fascination with evil and the unknown.

I mean...there is not one bone in my body that has any urges to do things that real killers do. But I am however interested in that type of story and the ongoing study of what makes them tick.

No, it isn't healthy to be evil. But every single person has a morbid streak. It is why the news is full of all the terrible things that happen and none of the good. It is the reason why many people will say they can't look away from a train wreck. It is the reason why there are so many books and studies on the mind of a serial killer. It is why all of us here watch movies or read books that are full of evil and death. Evil appeals to people because I think so few understand it. And the unknown is fascinating, like you say.

Lamoreux
07-25-2005, 12:09 PM
... I won't even watch anything real myself(Faces of Death for example)...

Exactly. I saw the TWILIGHT ZONE footage of Vic Morrow's death (and the two young children, obviously) and was absolutely mortified by it.

novakru
Yes,I agree that children are selfish.But..
To allow a child to continue to be selfish(which alot of parents are doing these days) is a sure fire way to grow an anti-social personality,which could and I do not mean the Rule,but could,potientally turn into sociopathic behavior. To leave a child unchecked is tapping into the"evil" of our nature.

jenna26
Originally posted by hellboy
Beat me baby. BEAT ME NOW!!!!!!!:p

LMAO!!!! Um, if you insist.....:rolleyes: ;)

jenna26
07-25-2005, 12:19 PM
Yes,I agree that children are selfish.But..
To allow a child to continue to be selfish(which alot of parents are doing these days) is a sure fire way to grow an anti-social personality,which could and I do not mean the Rule,but could,potientally turn into sociopathic behavior. To leave a child unchecked is tapping into the"evil" of our nature.

Exactly, potentially. But I also know plenty of folks whose selfishness was allowed to thrive unchecked by their parents and they are just spoiled brats used to getting their own way. Not violent or without empathy, just self-centered. So I don't believe that means we are born to be bad. It just means that sometimes we are influenced to turn bad based on what we see or a lack of guidance.

novakru
07-25-2005, 12:31 PM
Exactly, potentially. But I also know plenty of folks whose selfishness was allowed to thrive unchecked by their parents and they are just spoiled brats used to getting their own way. Not violent or without empathy, just self-centered. So I don't believe that means we are born to be bad. It just means that sometimes we are influenced to turn bad based on what we see or a lack of guidance.

I see your point.

nurture over nature or however that saying goes....

but continue the thread.....wouldn't it be more likely that a self-centered person would do MORE harm? What would they Not do to get what they Think they deserve.etc etcblahblah-I bored with this already.
Debate club would lose with me on the team.

Haunted
07-25-2005, 03:54 PM
I, however, love being evil. I have a great agent, and and a wonderful publicist. No one is safe from my wrath nor my whims.

Don't worry about me. I just have the girlies.

alkytrio666
07-25-2005, 04:59 PM

Who in the name of fuck ARE YOU?! All your posts sound like you've been here for sometime and are all buddy-buddy with everyone. What do you mean "I know he's new"? You're about as new as he is.

P.S. It wasn't funny at all.

novakru
07-26-2005, 06:00 AM
I think all mothers will understand this.
There is that time in your child's life when they leave babyhood for good.It seems to happen overnight,and then you are sitting there sorting toys and clothes that they seemed to like for Years,that are now obsolete.You put the special things aside,maybe to be stored in a Special Box,maybe just because You can not part with it yet.
So there leaves all these toys in bags to donate.

If you would care for any of them alkytrio666-you are more than welcome to them:)

urgeok
07-26-2005, 06:32 AM
i collect toys .. i'll take 'em.

filmmaker2
07-26-2005, 07:13 AM
Why is that poor kitty passed out over his Cheerios like that???

alkytrio666
07-26-2005, 10:19 AM
I think all mothers will understand this.
There is that time in your child's life when they leave babyhood for good.It seems to happen overnight,and then you are sitting there sorting toys and clothes that they seemed to like for Years,that are now obsolete.You put the special things aside,maybe to be stored in a Special Box,maybe just because You can not part with it yet.
So there leaves all these toys in bags to donate.

If you would care for any of them alkytrio666-you are more than welcome to them:)

There comes a time when people try so hard to make insults intelligent that they lose all power and become meaningless.

If you would care for an example, novakru, view your last post.

novakru
07-26-2005, 10:41 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by alkytrio666
[B]Who in the name of fuck ARE YOU?!

mmmmm,so intelligent........

alkytrio666
07-26-2005, 10:59 AM
I wasn't trying to be intelligent. I was serious. You're all like "Oh guys, this newbies pretty good!"

You ARE a newbie!

novakru
07-26-2005, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by alkytrio666
I wasn't trying to be intelligent. I was serious. You're all like "Oh guys, this newbies pretty good!"

You ARE a newbie!

My comment about Lamoreux being new didn't have anything to with the fact that I am new also.
It had to do with how he handled the crap that was dished out to him.

Zero
07-27-2005, 01:55 PM
I, however, love being evil. I have a great agent, and and a wonderful publicist. No one is safe from my wrath nor my whims.

Don't worry about me. I just have the girlies.

Its true - I've personally received two-feet worth of ass-kicking at the hands (er, feet?) of Haunted and still bear the mental and physical scars (as well as a strange sense of longing. . . )

Tat2
07-28-2005, 07:08 PM
IMO, we all (we, as in society) have an evil streak. It is as old as mans' existance. Most of us don't act out on our evil side because of our sense of morals and values that we had driven into our heads from the time of our conception. I'm sure that we all think evil thought from time to time...things such as "If that fucker says one more thing to me, I'm shoving my knife into his fuckin' chest!" (or could it be just me), anyway, Our ability to judge the morals and values as well as concidering the consequences of our actions keeps most of use from being the next Son of Sam. I do believe, however, that given the right circumstances, even the Pope himself will pull a trigger when it comes right down to it.

Horror movies, for me anyway, is a way to escape reality for a while and ingross myself into something that far surpasses Societies norms. It is shear enjoyment for me to watch something which can occupy my mind and the stresses of my everyday life don't override it.

And besides that...Horror movies are just plain, ol' fashioned fun!

EXTR3MIST
07-29-2005, 05:13 AM
Of course everyone has a deathlust - anybody who says they don't is lying.

Speaking of The Pope, I bet he tells people he doesn't even wank - but of course he'd be lying too, or he'd have the biggest balls in Italy.

Wonder how he copes with wet dreams?

urgeok
07-29-2005, 05:14 AM
Of course everyone has a deathlust - anybody who says they don't is lying.

Speaking of The Pope, I bet he tells people he doesn't even wank - but of course he'd be lying too, or he'd have the biggest balls in Italy.

Wonder how he copes with wet dreams?

where do you think holy water comes from ?

Zero
07-29-2005, 05:37 AM
OK - at the risk of being flamed mercilessly and (again) being accused of being condescending . . .

Over the years of reading horror and lots about horror I've come across a bunch of theories about "why horror?" - the one that most people have suggested here is the "dark side" theory - which is kind of along the lines of Carl Jung and the whole "shadow self" but also similar to Freud and the idea of repression (so the monster is a kind of expression of the desires we've repressed oozing out of our subconcious - so movies and books are kind of like our personal nightmares).

But there are lots of others:
1) Adrenaline rush - horror shocks create a biological pleasure;
2) Rites of passage - I read somewhere this theory that horror movies are popular as "rites of passage" for teenagers (which always kind of made sense to me since I remember first going to horror movies as a pre-teen and it was always with a group and we were all egging each other on).
3) Social Anxiety - we go to horror films/read horror novels as expressions of broader cultural anxieties and problems Andrew Tudor has a great book about this called Monsters and Mad Scientists - also a book by Kendall Phillips called Projected Fears.
4) I read a cool but confusing book by Noel Carroll about how we like horror because its an intellectual puzzle to make sense of monsters - but I'm not sure I entirely understood it.
and, 5) there's also the subculture theory that says people define themselves as "horror fans" and then are attracted to horror stuff because of their self-identification (hmm, sounds familiar?!?!)

So, there are some additional theories - personally I'm not sure why I like horror films - but its an interesting question.

EXTR3MIST
07-29-2005, 05:40 AM
Sure - catharsis.

Zero
07-29-2005, 05:43 AM
yeah - catharsis

that really hurts when they stick it in - ouchyyyy

EXTR3MIST
07-29-2005, 05:48 AM
Saves you getting up to go for a piss, though.

:cool:

Zero
07-29-2005, 05:54 AM
Saves you getting up to go for a piss, though.

:cool:

ahhh - the freedom. . . . :o