PDA

View Full Version : Shopping...

Spallalala
05-09-2005, 04:20 PM
What do you generally buy if you do the household shopping..

I'm always buying pasta, rice frozen vege and tinned stuff. I think that if you have this lot your ok for food.
If we hit up the asian store we get pre done sauces and stuff like that. Something you can just mix into fried rice.. Simple shit.

We always buy fresh herbs and stock up on spices.

I get the usual stuff for my mum , bread , butter, milk, tea and sugar. As long as we got that my mum is very happy haha..

Cheebs.. help me out here. I forgetting heaps.

Im just curious since we are all spread out in this world we would have strange purchases.

taylorsmommy
05-09-2005, 04:26 PM
The usual is break, milk, eggs, butter. Every 2-3 weeks it's meats, sides, veggies, fruit, iced tea, snacks, cereal or oatmeal, bagels and cream cheese, lunchmeat

*can't think of anything else*

Spallalala
05-09-2005, 04:29 PM
Lunch meat? as in thin slices of meat yeah?

urgeok
05-09-2005, 04:36 PM
fresh veggies and fruit .. lunch meat and cheese for lunches ..
lots of cereal because not only do i eat it every morning .. its also the only thing i can eat before playing v-ball or baseball ...so i'll have it for dinner on game nights.

pasta too .. and rice ..

taylorsmommy
05-09-2005, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Spallalala
Lunch meat? as in thin slices of meat yeah?

Yup!

DraculaInDallas
05-09-2005, 04:45 PM
Pork ( chops & ribs ), beef ( brisket & t-bone steaks ), sausages ( andouille & italian spicy ), lettuce & veggies for salad, cereal, non fat milk, potato's ( mostly sweet ), rice, top ramen noodles, lunch meat, bread, original coke, water and some candy, usually Reeses peanut butter cups or Nestles Crunch.

urgeok
05-09-2005, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by DraculaInDallas
and some candy, usually Reeses peanut butter cups or Nestles Crunch.

just to get that unhealthy balance :D

DraculaInDallas
05-09-2005, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by urgeok
just to get that unhealthy balance :D

Exactly!!!! :D

virus five
05-09-2005, 05:36 PM
I have had quite the addiction to hummus and pita bread lately.

I like fresh vegetables, couscous, and tofu. I seem to buy a lot of these things.

newb
05-09-2005, 06:37 PM
beer

Hate_Breeder
05-09-2005, 07:04 PM
Lighters, Soda, Video Games, and Hand jobs from the homeless people on the corner :p

ChEEbA
05-09-2005, 07:38 PM
hummus and pita bread lately.

You GOTTA try making it from scratch sometime, the hoummous, that is...it's really on another level...if you want a recipe, hit me up.

Yeah, as Spal said, all that stuff...FRESH herbs and spices are a BIG thing when you do this cooking thing...so yeah, some frozen stuff, alotta asian brand noodles, stir-thru's, soup bases...etc, fresh veg, asian veg, rice, uh....on the more boring side, yeah, there's stuff like bread, cheese, pizza bases, eggs, the occasional pack of mince-meat pies, a lot of the time we'll have pastry, junk-food (too fucking much), Not a great deal of meat, but yeah, chicken & lamb usually, sometimes kangaroo (which is all kinds of awesome), we bbq when we can, and we're trying to get more fish happening too.
Coconut milk = ALWAYS, crazy-versatile in cooking.

I'm sure I'm forgetting plenty too, but thats a start.

Gren the cake
05-09-2005, 07:39 PM
i generally like to buy everything all at once, except htat veggies need to be bought every week, which is annoying. so i usually get bell peppers, mushrooms of sorts, lettuce of some kind, avocado. potatoes, onions, garlic.. yuo can get an they last a wihle at least.

i buy bread of some sort, usually whole wheat type stuff. im really good at reading nutrition index as wel as ingredients list. i get tomato sauces and pastes to make pasta shit, i use non fat milk and i make my bechamel with them (white sauce, for alfredo... or mac n cheese even!)

i always have veggies with my pasta, whether artichokes, peas, mushrooms.... whatever.

then i get ben and jerries.. cherry garcia and lately dublin mudslide. the nice thing abou CG is its lowfat frozen yogurt, the whole thing only has 12 grams of fat! w00000000t

IDrinkYourBlood
05-09-2005, 07:44 PM
whenever I go to buy groceries I usually end up buying DVD's and video games. And then Junk food to go along with that. So my gf has to do the grocery shopping.

virus five
05-09-2005, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by ChEEbA
You GOTTA try making it from scratch sometime, the hoummous, that is...it's really on another level...if you want a recipe, hit me up.

I know you're in the culinary gig, and that's uber-cool. I work in food management for a healthcare contract company, and my girlfriend does the same, and is a J&W graduate.

However, if you have a good recipe you'd like to share, I'd be happy to receive!

urgeok
05-09-2005, 08:24 PM
i make my own from scratch as well..

ChEEbA
05-09-2005, 08:28 PM
Well, I didn't really have my own personal recipe, just saying that home-made, it's best...but yeah, here's one from cooks.com, a generally pretty handy site that I frequent:

HUMMOUS (CHICK PEA DIP)

2 1/4 c. whole chick peas
1 tsp. bicarbonate of soda
1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
Salt
1/4 c. plus 2 tbsp. tahini (sesame seed paste)
1 1/2-2 lemons
4 tbsp. olive oil
A pinch of paprika
Finely chopped parsley

Soak the chick peas in plenty of cold water overnight. Drain, add the bicarbonate of soda and cover with water. In a pressure-cooker, steam for about 20 minutes, or simmer for 1 1/2 hours in a pan. Drain the chick peas, reserving the liquid, then set aside a few peas for garnish.
Using a little of the cooking liquid, reduce the rest of the chick peas to a puree in a blender or processor. Add the garlic, salt and tahini, and blend together thoroughly. Lastly pour in the lemon juice, by which time the hummus should have a rich, creamy consistency.

Pour into a shallow, concave dish (about the size of a salad plate), pour the oil in the center, and garnish with the whole chick peas. Sprinkle the paprika and a little chopped parsley as a decoration around the edges.

Serves about 6.

On site, I'd back that one...all the right stuff there, just be careful with the salt, because when it's too salty, it's fucked.

- B

urgeok
05-09-2005, 08:39 PM
no cilantro ?

ChEEbA
05-09-2005, 08:49 PM
Haha, chances are, my PERSONAL version would have all kindsa other things in it, including that...but this is just a cut n paste job - it's the basic.
However, I always say, add what u like yknow...

ChEEbA
05-09-2005, 08:52 PM
Another thing we ALWAYS buy, red birdseye chillies.
Use them SO damn much. 90% of the food I prepare is spicy.

Oh, and I ALWAYS gotta have fresh cracked pepper...I get pissed off without it.

Marroe
05-09-2005, 08:59 PM
I buy chicken pot pies, spicy beef ramen noodles, and tea

Hate_Breeder
05-09-2005, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Marroe
[B]I buy chicken pot pies

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

MMMM Marie Calendar's pot pies

The honey roasted chicken kind are the best

barbra
05-09-2005, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Hate_Breeder
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

MMMM Marie Calendar's pot pies

The honey roasted chicken kind are the best peperage farms pot pies are the best ;) things I buy vary according to whatever season we're in. always got to have cerial, peanut butter, apples and tomatos.

Marroe
05-09-2005, 09:51 PM
pfft....I just get the 29cent banquet ones

barbra
05-09-2005, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Marroe
pfft....I just get the 29cent banquet ones banquet is the shit

Marroe
05-09-2005, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by barbra
banquet is the shit Yupz...hella cheap

Gren the cake
05-09-2005, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by ChEEbA
1 tsp. bicarbonate of soda[/B]
lol, i like that one. crazy foreigners

anyway.. my hummus never turned out right cuz i cant find that fuckin tahini anywhere. well, not that ive ever really tried, but still. the little foreign stores around here dont take credit, at least, not in the amount that i need (probably one of those $15 minimum things, when all i fuckin need is one little jar of fuckin SESAME SEED PASTE and NOTHING else.)

barbra
05-09-2005, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Gren the cake
lol, i like that one. crazy foreigners

anyway.. my hummus never turned out right cuz i cant find that fuckin tahini anywhere. well, not that ive ever really tried, but still. the little foreign stores around here dont take credit, at least, not in the amount that i need (probably one of those $15 minimum things, when all i fuckin need is one little jar of fuckin SESAME SEED PASTE and NOTHING else.) I can never find tahinni either, you can use seaseme seed oil as a substitute, its not the same, but its close on flavor, just be sure to cut down on the olive oil during the emulsification process. I like to mix half chick peas and half black eyed peas and I use cilantro/ parsley

Gren the cake
05-09-2005, 11:49 PM
that is an excellent idea, except that the only sesame seed oil i have is spicy sesame seed oil

not that i dont like spicy, but in this case its just totally not what im going for..

how about the roasted pepper/roasted tomato types? i remember trying to finda recipe and not finding any really.. then again, that was a while ago and i mightve been typing in th wrong phrase or something......?

i think i went through like 6 cans of chickpeas before i finally gave up. LOL, i hate wasting food :/

barbra
05-09-2005, 11:54 PM
that is an excellent idea, except that the only sesame seed oil i have is spicy sesame seed oil

not that i dont like spicy, but in this case its just totally not what im going for..

how about the roasted pepper/roasted tomato types? i remember trying to finda recipe and not finding any really.. then again, that was a while ago and i mightve been typing in th wrong phrase or something......?

i think i went through like 6 cans of chickpeas before i finally gave up. LOL, i hate wasting food :/ I like everything spicy, but thats me ;) as far as the roasted veggies go, you can buy them already roasted in a can or if you have gas you can roast them on the stove or grill. Maybe Cheeba knows another way, but you're gonna need fire or an oven at 500 degrees. Just lay the peppers over the fire/right on the rack/on the grill, wait for them to turn dark, you'll have to turn them, and then stick them in ice cold water to shock the skin off them, peel them and add them to whatever it is you want them in. they will add a lot of liquid to whatever you are putting them in. for every pepper cut back on the liquid 1/4 cup and eye the consistancy from there. I never measure anything so you could up it to a 1/3 if you like.

Gren the cake
05-09-2005, 11:58 PM
oh yeh. im all on that. but im talking, like example, in the case of roasted tomato, it seems in the stuff i buy they put some kinda spices in it?

with that said, i fuckin LOVE Easy Mac Tombstone flavor... but its fucjking annoying buying the little packets. So i know they put in oregano, some onion and garilc powder.. but what else? it made me soooo sad cuz i can kinda get it to taste like it.. but not really :(. id much prefer to make it on my own, not only cost and convenince wise but this way i can make real sauce with real cheese rather than powder and fuckin water. but ya, again.. its the spices i cant figure out!

barbra
05-10-2005, 12:08 AM
oh yeh. im all on that. but im talking, like example, in the case of roasted tomato, it seems in the stuff i buy they put some kinda spices in it?

with that said, i fuckin LOVE Easy Mac Tombstone flavor... but its fucjking annoying buying the little packets. So i know they put in oregano, some onion and garilc powder.. but what else? it made me soooo sad cuz i can kinda get it to taste like it.. but not really :(. id much prefer to make it on my own, not only cost and convenince wise but this way i can make real sauce with real cheese rather than powder and fuckin water. but ya, again.. its the spices i cant figure out! basil? thyme? you know how to make a béchamel? they might add seasonings to the canned tomatos, read the label. :confused:

Gren the cake
05-10-2005, 12:17 AM
let me rephrase... maybe its not necesssarily WHAT spices, but the quantity. know what im sayin? i can generally taste spices but when it comes to how much of what.. im lost

and yeh, i can definitely rock the bechamel.

barbra
05-10-2005, 12:23 AM
let me rephrase... maybe its not necesssarily WHAT spices, but the quantity. know what im sayin? i can generally taste spices but when it comes to how much of what.. im lost

and yeh, i can definitely rock the bechamel. awesome, you got 1/5 of the mothers sauces down and mac and cheese is just a sauce pan away for you. McCormic rocks, they make a decent curry and jerk thats dried spices. Dried spices go in in the begining and you use less, fresh spices go in at the end and you can use a little more. I would say, if you are new to a spice keep a spoon handy and taste until you know you got it right. you could just add like a table spoon of italian flavored tomato paste and be done with it. its going to be trial and error, then again maybe someone here can give you the proper measures. I really don't measure a thing, unless Im baking bread.

Gren the cake
05-10-2005, 02:27 PM
its going to be trial and error, then again maybe someone here can give you the proper measures.
exactly. im pretty good at spicing stuff but when you get to depth like that its just wayyy too much. ill be trial and erroring forever. god damn kraft and their secrets. why cant tey just hook me up??

:(

barbra
05-10-2005, 03:36 PM
exactly. im pretty good at spicing stuff but when you get to depth like that its just wayyy too much. ill be trial and erroring forever. god damn kraft and their secrets. why cant tey just hook me up??

:( it doesn't take long. Cooking is the easiest thing you'll do in a day.

Gren the cake
05-10-2005, 03:46 PM
i been cooking pretty much my whole life.. and i dont really measure either (except, like u, with baking).

but as for the spices thing, i dunno.. its hard. id literally hafto sit there with a bowl of easy mac, and my experiment, writing all the measurements down. taste the mac, then the experiment, adjust... repeat.. :( ugh.

then of course, if i go TOO far with someth ing, ill need to make sure i have a big enough batch of the experiment to start over.... just SOOOO much work :(. not to mention that everything will constantly be getting cold, ill start mixing spoons, the phone will ring and ill lose my concentration etc...

im waiting for that todd wilbur fellow to come up with the recipe, maybe i should email him!!

todd wilbur: http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/

barbra
05-10-2005, 04:05 PM
ah, dried spices. you can lightly cook them in some white wine to release more flavor and add that to your bechemel

Gren the cake
05-10-2005, 04:10 PM
i used to have an herb garden but damn bunnies and slugs kept eating them

:( they also ate my tulips. we're building an extention to the house, so the plan is to keep a little herb garden type thing in there.

barbra
05-10-2005, 04:16 PM
i used to have an herb garden but damn bunnies and slugs kept eating them

:( they also ate my tulips. we're building an extention to the house, so the plan is to keep a little herb garden type thing in there. I have a problem with pest as well, they always get in my plants. for slugs you can spray your plants with diluted alcohol on the damaged areas. the alcohol will make the slugs dry up and wont change your soil ph

can you tell Im southern?

DraculaInDallas
05-10-2005, 04:19 PM
can you tell Im southern?

Yes Ma'am I can :)

Spallalala
05-11-2005, 02:47 PM
Marroe.. Lemme get this right. You buy only 3 things when shopping.. Silly Girl. Get some ides from these people. We all like our food thats for sure hahah...

I dont have to worry about slugs and bunnys getting to my herbgarden ( which really isn't going anywhere yet. Stupid weather ). I grow all my stuff on the balcony haha.

Im glad this thread gots you guys talking about good stuff haha. Shame I missed most of it. I dont get on the net much and when I am horror dont work arrrgghhh..

I saw a wicked vego recipe the other day. It was baby spinach nutmeg canned tomatos chick peas and some garamasala. Looked so damm nice.
I love vego food. Im trying to eat more veg and fish and less meat and shit haha..

So if anyone has some wicked ass vegetarian recipes that have been tried throw em at me.

Thankya..

ItsAlive75
05-11-2005, 09:14 PM
Beer, toilet paper...

I think that's everything.

barbra
05-12-2005, 12:21 PM
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 eggplant, cubed
3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
4 Yukon Gold potatoes, cubed
3 tomatoes, diced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

In a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat, heat oil with curry powder and cumin until aromatic. Stir in eggplant, jalapenos, potatoes, tomatoes, salt, chili powder and turmeric. Cover and cook 30 to 45 minutes, adding water if necessary to maintain a stew-like consistency.

sprinkle with cilantro when you're ready to grub out.

barbra
05-12-2005, 12:23 PM
3 tablespoons canola oil
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger root
1 lime
1 tablespoon tamari, or to taste
2 pounds firm tofu

Heat oil in a wok or skillet over medium heat. Stir in garlic and ginger, and cook for 1 minute. Add tofu to the pan with tamari, and stir to coat. Cover, and continue cooking for 20 to 30 minutes.
Lime it down when you're done

barbra
05-12-2005, 12:25 PM
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 onions, minced
1 1/2 cups uncooked white rice
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons dried currants
2 tablespoons pine nuts
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon dried mint
1 tablespoon dried dill weed
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 (8 ounce) jar grape leaves, drained and rinsed

Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Saute onions until tender. Stir in rice and hot water to cover. Cover and simmer until rice is half cooked, about 10 minutes.

Remove from heat and stir in tomato paste, currants, pine nuts, cinnamon, mint leaves, dill weed, allspice and cumin. Let mixture cool.

Prepare a large pot by placing an inverted plate on the bottom; this protects the dolmas from direct heat when steaming.

Rinse grape leaves in warm water; drain and cut off any stems. Place about 1 teaspoon of the cooled rice mixture in the center of a leaf. Fold in the sides and then roll into a cigar shape. Place in prepared pot. Repeat with remaining ingredients

Pour in just enough warm water to reach the bottom of the first layer of dolmas. Cover and simmer over low heat for 30 to 45 minutes, or until rice is totally cooked. Check the water level often and add more as necessary.

barbra
05-13-2005, 12:23 AM
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley leaves
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon cayenne, to taste
3 tablespoons vegetable oil

just mix it

barbra
05-13-2005, 12:24 AM
1/2 tablespoon paprika
1/2 small dried red chili, crushed or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
4 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/3 cup fruity olive oil
salt and black pepper

just mix

Spallalala
05-13-2005, 03:34 AM
Holy Shit..

Thats so cool. Thankya

Gren the cake
05-13-2005, 03:38 AM
YUM!

barbra
05-13-2005, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Spallalala
Holy Shit..

Thats so cool. Thankya I hear you kids eat a lot of asian inspired food, so I thought you could use some moroccan/greek grub for a change ;)

Marroe
05-13-2005, 02:29 PM
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 eggplant, cubed
3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
4 Yukon Gold potatoes, cubed
3 tomatoes, diced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

In a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat, heat oil with curry powder and cumin until aromatic. Stir in eggplant, jalapenos, potatoes, tomatoes, salt, chili powder and turmeric. Cover and cook 30 to 45 minutes, adding water if necessary to maintain a stew-like consistency.

sprinkle with cilantro when you're ready to grub out. Gonna have to try that one....sounds good n' simple