Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-10-2010, 11:20 PM
Undead

Best apocalypse supernatural movies?

Which are your fave apocalypse movies? And let me limit this so that "2012" and "Meteor" don't creep into the thread. What I'm being specific about is "end of the world" movies with supernatural/religious themes.

For example, I watched "Legion" on PPV tonite and it was I guess worth the 5 bucks, barely. Glad I didn't shell out more for a theater.

I really like the Greg Widen film "The Prophecy" with Chris Walken and one of my fave actors, Elias Koteas. I especially liked this movie because of its very literate script and a fairly accurate depiction of a Navajo hand trembler and a healing ceremony. The nasty dead general was also good, and Walken's role was a peach, of course.

What are your fave apocalypse-type movies, and why?

Caliber .45. Works against zombies and most everything else.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:30 AM
Undead

How about Left Behind though the books were better Also Dawn of The Dead was pretty good
Old 09-11-2010, 04:42 AM
Undead

Left Behind genre is a bit evangelistic for me, okay for folks who believe in the Rapture but otherwise left me cold. If you don't accept the premise it sort of falls flat. My opinion only of course.

Dawn of Dead is fine, although Shawn of the Dead is tops.

Caliber .45. Works against zombies and most everything else.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:08 PM
Undead

The Book of Eli was really good.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Fresh Blood

apocalyptic movie - I like The Quiet Earth (classic, thought provoking)
more dystopian - Soylent Green Another classic, liked the concept and I can actually see this happening.
Also Red Dawn - a bunch of rogue teens form a resistance and hides out in the mountains, calling themselves the Wolverines, what's not to like?

I also created and run http://www.apocalypsehub.com
Your #1 source for apocalyptic-related news and entertainment. Also includes alternative news.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:31 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSaint View Post
apocalyptic movie - I like The Quiet Earth (classic, thought provoking)
I was just coming here to post that one...must-see for sure.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:40 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanIdiot View Post
The Book of Eli was really good.
bahahaha - Really?

I just can't get over the fact that the movie wants us to believe that, amongst all of the surviving species... Are hairless cats.

Also - Our "hero" hunts and kills one. I just can't emphasize with someone who would kill one of these majestic creatures.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 09-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Misanthrope

I think The Quiet Earth is more appreciated by overseas audiences.

Bit of a shame really... definitely one of my favorite NZ flicks.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katdad View Post
Which are your fave apocalypse movies? And let me limit this so that "2012" and "Meteor" don't creep into the thread. What I'm being specific about is "end of the world" movies with supernatural/religious themes.

For example, I watched "Legion" on PPV tonite and it was I guess worth the 5 bucks, barely. Glad I didn't shell out more for a theater.

I really like the Greg Widen film "The Prophecy" with Chris Walken and one of my fave actors, Elias Koteas. I especially liked this movie because of its very literate script and a fairly accurate depiction of a Navajo hand trembler and a healing ceremony. The nasty dead general was also good, and Walken's role was a peach, of course.

What are your fave apocalypse-type movies, and why?
Legion us not a supernatural film. It's a man made virus, that causes all the trouble. Hardly anything supernatural about it. Even dawn of the dead, is thata supernatural film. Since noone knows the cause, it might be i suppose. If you're a atheist , it could be put down to , too many tainted lattes from paris inspired coffee shops.and all the faggotry of atheististness. Or if you're religious, it could be the work of the debul. Who knows ooO00OO0OOoo0o0oO0o0o0o0o0o0o
Old 09-13-2010, 05:06 PM
Undead Cavalier

Send a message via AIM to fiend_skull Send a message via MSN to fiend_skull
Quote:
Originally Posted by wufongtan. View Post
Legion us not a supernatural film. It's a man made virus, that causes all the trouble. Hardly anything supernatural about it. Even dawn of the dead, is thata supernatural film. Since noone knows the cause, it might be i suppose. If you're a atheist , it could be put down to , too many tainted lattes from paris inspired coffee shops.and all the faggotry of atheististness. Or if you're religious, it could be the work of the debul. Who knows ooO00OO0OOoo0o0oO0o0o0o0o0o0o
I don't believe you are thinking of the right film. I think this person is referring to the 2010 "Legion" which deals with God sending angels to end the world.

The general idea of "Zombies" in the Romero style is a "supernatural" concept, so it could definitely be included in this thread, in my personal opinion. Well even the "White Zombie" and "Serpent and the Rainbow" styled Zombies could even tie into this thread because of their connection with Voodoo.
---
As for me, I personally love the John Carpenter films "In the Mouth of Madness" and "Prince of Darkness". Very dark fils with completely seperate atmospheres. "In The Mouth of Madness" drawing very strong inspiration from Lovecraft (I believe) really does the concept justice while offering a very original storyline and intelligent execution.

The "Prince of Darkness" takes a somewhat gothic take on the end of the world, but pitting the properties of faith and science against the growing dark forces who seemingly have home field advantage. Also, I felt that the soundtrack was altogether perfect for the film and really kept you in "horror movie" mode even when nothing was really happening, a sort of "creeping suspicion". Not to mention that video-camera "transmission" still sends chills down my spine.