Old 05-22-2010, 11:28 PM
Little Boo

Unhappy What Happened To The Movies?

I want to know what happened to the horror movies ? call me old or behind the times,but i just watched the new nightmare on elm street,and... well all i can say is boo!hiss! boo! i watched the original and Freddy was not a pedophile,he was a child murder,they jumped and reached way out of the original story and made it something not nightmarish just to reality based (certainly not why i go to a movie theater).the idea is to prey on the fantastical horror things that could never happen but scare you anyway.the masters of horror Stephen King ,Clive Barker,Wes Craven,John Carpenter,Romero.now these guys knew how to take you to a point of sheer horror slowly boiling your scenes before scaring the snot out of you. they could take a glance a smile and make you wish you really could run from the theater screaming.and adding a sick humor that opened your brain and twisted it ,without the shock and awe that the current junk seems to dole out all up front .There's nothing left to the imagination,and any good horror writer or film maker knows its the things you don't see happening that scare you the most because our imaginations are the best of our fright centers.can someone please explain what happened. I'm sad that the new movies are soooo not so scary.:eek:
Old 05-22-2010, 11:41 PM
Undead Cavalier

Send a message via AIM to fiend_skull Send a message via MSN to fiend_skull
I'm sorry to say this post seems a bit over zealous, because I've never really felt the need to actually scream or yell while watching an older horror movie (unless I was yelling AT it). The thing is there are HUNDRED upon HUNDRED of horror movies made in the last decade, and I can't stress it enough when I say that a couple of remakes does not define an entire decade. Nothing happened besides the patience of the audience in question.

By the by, a lot of the directors you listed have been known to actually show the action. The thing is, you need to realize that there is a distinct difference between what is being produced in hollywood compared to everywhere else in the united states or even in the world. I have made this point in several cases...if you look, you might find something you like.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:05 AM
Cranky

Indeed, there are interesting and un-typical horror movies being made, as well as there are typical, by the numbers, uncreative horror movies being made.
You can say the same about romantic comedies, action movies, dramas, family movies, whatever.
Look beyond the local multi-plex surface.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 05-23-2010, 03:01 AM
Whip In My Valise

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Indeed, there are interesting and un-typical horror movies being made, as well as there are typical, by the numbers, uncreative horror movies being made.
You can say the same about romantic comedies, action movies, dramas, family movies, whatever.
Look beyond the local multi-plex surface.
Absolutely, this can't be stressed enough. There are many web-sites (including this one) that can guide you toward the hidden gems.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:22 AM
That fucking Guy...

What can I say that hasn't been already here...
Get a little less mainstream with the horror - if anything this is the one genre where this is most vital. Sure, some MS horror is ok, but generally it's bottom of the barrel forgettable stuff these days.
At the (you call them) multiplex, you get crowds, popcorn, and popcorn. ;)
Though if you want to increase your odds of seeing better horror, your best best is to step back in time and check out what's there already. Be selective on the new stuff, the extra effort will ay off and have you feeling not quite so disillusioned.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:57 AM
Banned

I like Chinese sword fighting films. Not the wacky ones, where they jump 100 feet in the air. but the more realistic ones.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:49 AM
That fucking Guy...

Quote:
I like Chinese sword fighting films. Not the wacky ones, where they jump 100 feet in the air. but the more realistic ones.
and do you like Young Einstein?
Old 05-23-2010, 06:08 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to milktoaste
The local universities have always been a good source to find and watch good movies. A bunch of friends used to watch anime at UWO every Saturday, (4 movies for $2 is tough to beat) and UWFV where I now attend just hosted an indie fest for local producers, there were some amazing short films there ($8 for an all day event).

So yeah, if you want different, you just have to go to where different is. And keep reading, HDC members always share when we find a good one.
"The physical body is acknowledged as dust, the personal drama as delusion. It is as if the world we perceive through our senses, that whole gorgeous and terrible pageant, were the breath-thin surface of a bubble, and everything else, inside and outside, is pure radiance. Both suffering and joy come then like a brief reflection, and death like a pin" Stephen Mitchell
Old 05-23-2010, 10:46 AM
BuyTheTicket, TakeTheRide

HDC.com+Netflix=Happiness
P.S. you find a better website for finding the kinda movies your obviously looking for.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Inquisitor Generalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyMyers View Post
HDC.com+Netflix=Happiness
P.S. you find a better website for finding the kinda movies your obviously looking for.
Obviously what? Mainstream?

"The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it."