#36401  
Old 02-09-2012, 10:34 AM
Elvis_Christ's Avatar
Elvis_Christ Elvis_Christ is offline
Vinyl Fiend

 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 15,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posher778 View Post
That demon was awesome. At least someone was bold enough to personify a nightmare-esque demon than just make someone's possessed eyes roll back and talk funny.
It was cool they showed a demon yes. But the fact it's Darth Maul with lame CGI hooves makes it laughably SHIT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
Love that one!
Reply With Quote
  #36402  
Old 02-09-2012, 12:21 PM
ChronoGrl's Avatar
ChronoGrl ChronoGrl is offline
HDC Idol

 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maynard, MA, USA
Posts: 8,185
Chillerama (2011)





I would say that this is 1/2 an incredibly enjoyable movie... I thought that the Wadzilla and I Was a Teenage Wearbear segments were utterly spectacular (the latter being my favorite, while the former was my boyfriend's favorite)... I thought that The Diary of Anne Frankenstein was really a missed opportunity and a disappointment and Zom-B-Movie was an OK way to tie them all together...

Regardless, all and all, I had a fun time - If you watch the trailer and it appeals to you, then you'll like it; the trailer gives you exactly what to expect (though the movie itself is definitely more gross).

Recommended... If you liked the trailer. ;)

3/5.


...


The Machinist (2004)





Really strong direction, writing and acting... Christian Bale was a colossally brilliant train wreck to watch... I still can't believe the commitment he put into the role; I was almost distracted at how disgusting he looked.


Ewwwwwww

It's really a great psychological drama that takes a few pages from Lynch's book... It's been a while since I've seen a nice absurd "thriller," so I was really taken in by this one... However, unfortunately, while I applaud it for being original, I was disappointed at how neatly it wrapped itself up in the end... There's a point where absurd psychological "twists" simply become cliche, and if you've already seen and enjoyed the likes of Memento, Insomnia, and Spider, then The Machinist is a little predictable and disappointing in that predictability... To be honest, I was hoping that it would go in an entirely absurd dreamscape direction (a la Mulholland Drive), so I was disappointed at the neatly packaged end.

Brilliant performance from Bale - Just wish that director Brad Anderson had challenged his audience a little more on this one...


...


Spoorloos ("The Vanishing") (1988)





This was my first time seeing this Dutch classic; it's a really gripping, slow-burning character piece about a man who pursues his wife who disappeared three years prior, and the sociopath who committed the crime.

What shocked me about this movie was how truly matter-of-fact it was... It didn't use mood music to build tension; all of your emotions, be it fear, frustration, or anger, were truly derived from the writing or the artful acting of our thespians. This was one of those rare films that I just couldn't stop watching because I had to know what happened (very much like our protagonist). Bravo, George Sluizer; you have inextricably bound me to our main character. Doesn't happen very often.

Recommended if you want a true character piece.

4/5.
__________________


You're Invited to ChronoGrl's Seven Week Horror Movie Marathon!

Week 1: Frankenstein's Monster - What's your favorite Frankenstein Movie?

Week 2: Werewolves (There Wolves!)

On Chrono's Watch List:
  • Sunday, September 21st, 5:00p.m. EST: The Wolf Man (1941)
  • Tuesday, September 23rd, 8:00p.m. EST: An American Werewolf in London (1981)
  • Thursday, September 25th, 8:00p.m. EST: Ginger Snaps (2000)
Reply With Quote
  #36403  
Old 02-10-2012, 09:05 AM
_____V_____'s Avatar
_____V_____ _____V_____ is offline
Quoth the Raven...

 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: LV-426
Posts: 31,335


Classic B-movie 80s stuff. And the cast - Bruce Campbell, Tom Atkins, Richard Roundtree, Robert Z'Dar - fans like me getting a geekgasm! Add to all of it, the experience of watching it on superbly sharp grainy VHS. No words can suffice.

After watching Women in Black a couple nights back and Maniac Cop just now, I have a confession to make - I feel right at home when I pop in an 80s film, specially if it's an 80s horror. It's like I have arrived back home after a tour of an unknown city far, far away. The background music, the cinematography of the city the film is based in (specially at night), the 80s fashions, and the whole feel-good feeling...oh yes!

Apologies to all fans of contemporary horror, but I love my 80s films to bits. Your films might be brilliant, but mine are...nostalgic. Simply put, I love them.

And they are my home.

Now to catch up on the sequel. :)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #36404  
Old 02-10-2012, 02:12 PM
Angra's Avatar
Angra Angra is offline
No, fuck YOU

 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Right behind you!!!
Posts: 13,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post


Classic B-movie 80s stuff. And the cast - Bruce Campbell, Tom Atkins, Richard Roundtree, Robert Z'Dar - fans like me getting a geekgasm! Add to all of it, the experience of watching it on superbly sharp grainy VHS. No words can suffice.

After watching Women in Black a couple nights back and Maniac Cop just now, I have a confession to make - I feel right at home when I pop in an 80s film, specially if it's an 80s horror. It's like I have arrived back home after a tour of an unknown city far, far away. The background music, the cinematography of the city the film is based in (specially at night), the 80s fashions, and the whole feel-good feeling...oh yes!

Apologies to all fans of contemporary horror, but I love my 80s films to bits. Your films might be brilliant, but mine are...nostalgic. Simply put, I love them.

And they are my home.

Now to catch up on the sequel. :)
My dear V, you're a fucking nerd. And i think you're drunk. Again.

Sir Campbells role in that movie was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too little concidering he was actually the hero and especially especially because his character was by far the most interesting in that movie. I personally watched it again a couple of nights ago and i actually ended up swithing over to something else about 15 minutes before the end. I frankly thought the storyline just went worse and worse.

I remember the sequal being better tho. And more Campbell. :)
__________________
I'm right. It's the rest of the world that's wrong.





Cowabunga motherfucka..

Last edited by Angra; 02-10-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #36405  
Old 02-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Elvis_Christ's Avatar
Elvis_Christ Elvis_Christ is offline
Vinyl Fiend

 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 15,305
Well put ____V____ you know I definitely back that man :)

Maniac Cop is a classic and one of the best from the era.


------------------

Savage Dawn



Long lost 80s biker trash with Lance Henriksen goes head to head with William Forsythe. Pretty good watch that was definitely made by the cast which included Karen Black, Richard Lynch and George Kennedy. Dug how it was action the whole way though with no dragged out filler bits. Could've done with a better soundtrack however... the Casio keyboard sounding original score was terrible.

The Tower Heist



A bit muddled really in it's balance between being a robbery and a comedy flick. Not overly funny or edge of your seat excitement but entertaining enough if your in the mood for something lightweight and fun. Alan Alda was great.
Reply With Quote
  #36406  
Old 02-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Angra's Avatar
Angra Angra is offline
No, fuck YOU

 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Right behind you!!!
Posts: 13,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post

The Tower Heist



A bit muddled really in it's balance between being a robbery and a comedy flick. Not overly funny or edge of your seat excitement but entertaining enough if your in the mood for something lightweight and fun. Alan Alda was great.

I'm not in the mood. Thanks, i'm skipping it.

Alan Alda?? Is he still alive?
__________________
I'm right. It's the rest of the world that's wrong.





Cowabunga motherfucka..
Reply With Quote
  #36407  
Old 02-10-2012, 02:45 PM
The Villain's Avatar
The Villain The Villain is offline
Evil is Better

 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Your Nightmares
Posts: 5,759
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close


This was awful. The kid was the most annoying little bastard i've ever seen and it made me really hard to care at all about what he was doing. There was absolutely no connection between him and his father and the whole mystery with the key didnt feel like a journey for him to deal with his father's death. It just seemed like the kid was obsessive compulsive and needed to know where it went.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #36408  
Old 02-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Elvis_Christ's Avatar
Elvis_Christ Elvis_Christ is offline
Vinyl Fiend

 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 15,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
Alan Alda?? Is he still alive?
He's the same age as you! So yes, yes he is.
Reply With Quote
  #36409  
Old 02-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Angra's Avatar
Angra Angra is offline
No, fuck YOU

 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Right behind you!!!
Posts: 13,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
He's the same age as you! So yes, yes he is.
LMAO

Hey fuck YOU, old man. :p
__________________
I'm right. It's the rest of the world that's wrong.





Cowabunga motherfucka..
Reply With Quote
  #36410  
Old 02-10-2012, 03:15 PM
hammerfan's Avatar
hammerfan hammerfan is offline
HDC's old chick

 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In my rocking chair
Posts: 9,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close


This was awful. The kid was the most annoying little bastard i've ever seen and it made me really hard to care at all about what he was doing. There was absolutely no connection between him and his father and the whole mystery with the key didnt feel like a journey for him to deal with his father's death. It just seemed like the kid was obsessive compulsive and needed to know where it went.
You do know that the kid is supposed to be autistic, right?
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:12 PM.