Old 03-06-2007, 09:35 PM
Evil Puppy

Best Sequels

I'm sure this has been done before (even in a tournament) but since there's a new thread for worst sequels and because I was inspired by the all time greatest movie thread I decided to open the discussion again. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is one of the all time greatest sequels and probably my favorite sequel to a movie.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:55 PM
For Vendetta

Technically, the Good, the Bad and the Ugly cant be considered to be a sequel. Simply because A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More are entirely different stories. Leone refers to em as his western trilogy, but apart from them being westerns and Eastwood in all of em as The Man with No Name, there's nothing linking all 3 stories even remotely.

(remember Lee Van Cleef played a good guy in For A Few Dollars More, but was the Bad guy in The Good, The Bad and the Ugly)

I d say the best horror sequel I ve seen would be a toss-up between Halloween II and Aliens. Although, being a Halloween fan, I d lean towards Halloween II.

Overall, my all time fav sequel is The Empire Strikes Back. That is one movie which was actually miles ahead than the original.

Matrix Reloaded was awesome to watch too.
Terminator 2: Judgement Day is another great movie.

Nice thread Des. I m sure I ll think of more later on...
Old 03-06-2007, 10:10 PM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
Technically, the Good, the Bad and the Ugly cant be considered to be a sequel. Simply because A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More are entirely different stories. Leone refers to em as his western trilogy, but apart from them being westerns and Eastwood in all of em as The Man with No Name, there's nothing linking all 3 stories even remotely.

You're right but they're done in such a similar style... I'll consider them a trilogy until the day I'm buried in the dirt (maybe even after that) lol. It's one case where the sequel really benefits from being a different story but I digress, tha validity of my choice is easy to argue. :)

Ok, here's an overlooked one I think: The Road Warrior
Old 03-06-2007, 10:14 PM
Dripping of Brain Matter

Halloween 2
Scary Movie 2 (the scene where one of the Wayans brothers drags the clown under the bed with a streched penis makes it worth it)
Stars Wars Ep 5 Empire Strikes Back
Old 03-06-2007, 10:20 PM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despare View Post
You're right but they're done in such a similar style... I'll consider them a trilogy until the day I'm buried in the dirt (maybe even after that) lol. It's one case where the sequel really benefits from being a different story but I digress, tha validity of my choice is easy to argue. :)
One can think of them as sequels if the character of Man with No Name is taken as the common factor. Maybe he rode into the town near the Mexican border in Fistful, then became a bounty hunter in More, and finally rode into the story of TG, TB & TU. Same person, 3 stories.

Eastwood himself had said in an interview that he considered the character of Preacher in Pale Rider as "The Man With No Name coming out of self-retirement", although he dressed differently as Preacher.

I never saw Pale Rider as an extension of the Leone Trilogy though.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:23 PM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
One can think of them as sequels if the character of Man with No Name is taken as the common factor. Maybe he rode into the town near the Mexican border in Fistful, then became a bounty hunter in More, and finally rode into the story of TG, TB & TU. Same person, 3 stories.

Eastwood himself had said in an interview that he considered the character of Preacher in Pale Rider as "The Man With No Name coming out of self-retirement", although he dressed differently as Preacher.

I never saw Pale Rider as an extension of the Leone Trilogy though.
You can't see it but I'm nodding.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:32 PM
For Vendetta

OOPS...I overlooked 2 of my all time fav horror movies...Dawn of the Dead & Evil Dead 2. Between them and Halloween II & Aliens, I d choose ED2, then Dawn a close 2nd, Halloween II, then Aliens.

Puppet Master II was kinda better than the original. Ginger Snaps 2 was good too.

More recently, POTC2: Dead Man's Chest was kinda good too. Rocky III was the best in the entire Rocky series IMO.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:33 PM
For Vendetta

Batman Returns is another.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:37 PM
No charge for awesomeness

Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead
Halloween 2
Friday the 13th 2
Evil Dead 2 (Even though it's more of a remake than a sequel)
Army of Darkness
Old 03-06-2007, 11:43 PM
Evil Puppy

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust