Old 10-14-2015, 09:55 AM
Hellraiser

Halloween vs. Scream

I never thought about comparing these two as when Scream came out Halloween was already a classic. But I just watched Scream for the first time in close to fifteen years, and I have to say the first one has held up surprisingly well (the sequels were much harder to get through).

I never hear much talk about whether or not it is comparable to Halloween, but since most of the final act of Scream is cleverly scored by John Carpenter, I wonder if it is worth debating. Which is the more effective horror movie? Is Scream even a horror movie (I have friends who say no, but I disagree, it is extremely intense and scary at times)?

If you want my opinion, I have to say Halloween. I would say Scream's biggest fault is its reliance on Halloween at the end--it made me yearn for the superior film in Scream's final act. Though Scream had better developed characters overall, you will never find slasher film that matches the on screen persona of Donald Pleasance. Let alone Michael Myers. His creeping around the background is phenomenally scary throughout the film.

Halloween does suffer a bit at times from its low budget, but I still find it more effective. Thoughts? Am I way off on my comparison here?
Old 10-14-2015, 09:59 AM
Evil Dead

For plot I say Scream, but Halloween is scarier.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:18 AM
Banned

Scream does have a more complex and detailed story but in a way is a satire of horror films and is still able to be a horror film itself. It broke the fourth wall of all the horror film clichés which is what gives it it's lasting power and makes it stand out.

Halloween though is a cultural phenomenon and compared to Scream isn't near as story driven, but Michael Myers is a irresistible force and in my opinion is the obvious victor in this.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:18 AM
Evil Dead

Scream was bad. I don't see how people think so highly of it. It was dull, kinda predictable, and boring. I didn't care what was happening in it at all. Halloween had much better dread and atmosphere. This atmosphere around the story drove my interest and enjoyment regardless of the quality of the story, which was decent enough. There was also ambiguity as to if Michael Myers was just a psycho or touched by some sort of supernatural power. This gave him a more eerie and mysterious quality than he normally would have which I think worked a lot better than a 'real' person.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:20 PM
No Tears Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBossInTheWall View Post
Scream was bad. I don't see how people think so highly of it. It was dull, kinda predictable, and boring. I didn't care what was happening in it at all. Halloween had much better dread and atmosphere. This atmosphere around the story drove my interest and enjoyment regardless of the quality of the story, which was decent enough. There was also ambiguity as to if Michael Myers was just a psycho or touched by some sort of supernatural power. This gave him a more eerie and mysterious quality than he normally would have which I think worked a lot better than a 'real' person.
-----^^^^ This...

The People (short story) ---- http://www.inkitt.com/stories/10686

Trapped (Short Story) ---- https://www.inkitt.com/stories/horror/624905

The End : A Short Glimpse (Flash Fiction) --- https://www.inkitt.com/stories/horror/624912

Fear Awakens (novel) ----- Recently Restarted
Old 10-14-2015, 01:20 PM
Hellraiser

Yeah, Scream is pretty plot heavy, which is probably one of Halloween's best features--that there isn't much there (even referenced in Scream).

Morningriser, I was going to disagree and say Scream was a cultural phenomenon too, but then I thought--despite how easy it is to get a ghostface mask (and a good one) on Halloween, I bought a good Michael Myers mask (my son loves it when I trick or treat) and I get the best reactions from that. Definitely hit the public unconscious on a deeper level,I have to agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBossInTheWall View Post
It may have been when I saw it, but I couldn't predict it at all. I found the reveal shocking (but watching it last night or the night before, my marathon is blending together) the killers are SO obvious.

Michael Myers is great, and I'm with you Boss, like I said, just having it on in the final act of Scream made me realize Scream was inferior, but I do know people who say Scream is the better made film. I'm not a Wes Craven guy though, John Carpenter all the way.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:29 PM
HDC's werewolf enthusiast

I feel like part of the small minority that likes Scream (and its sequels). Halloween is what really brought me to the horror franchise so of course I love it too. I'll agree Halloween was scarier. But for climatic reveal, Scream had the upper hand in that in my opinion. Wouldn't the most terrifying thing be not that your long lost insane brother is trying kill you, but that someone you thought you knew and loved to the point of sacrificing values too turns out to be a serial killer? That was delightfully messed up.

Supposed to be happy, but I'm only getting colder. Wear a smile on my face, but there's a demon inside.
Free to use signature images and avatars!
Old 10-14-2015, 03:14 PM
Banned

Scream came out when I was a freshman in high school and the opening scene made me feel a little uneasy. The acting in it was mediocre but I liked the idea of a horror film that specifically focused on the typical clichés. As for part 2-4... 2 and 3 were pretty much the same and 4 was almost like a rehashed version of the first. I am not a big fan of sequels unless I feel it necessary to have one. Scream didn't need one. Halloween on the other hand ended in a way where it was a good idea to do it and I am glad they did. Halloween 2 is one of my favorite horror sequels there is.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:56 PM
Hellraiser

Scream I guess was more plot, maybe a good twist at the end???

But Halloween no doubt is a darker movie, with much more plot then people may be giving it credit for. I also think there is a lot more psychological aspects involved as well, it being from a family aspect, a kid murderer who sat mute and unemotional for years excepting and allowing all evil within (Rob Zombie's remakes allowed some aspects of this into his movies much more).

Halloween and Michael Meyers are unbelievable movies that can be re-watched constantly. The slow camera, the view from Michael with him lightly breathing into the mask, etc... gotta love!!!

.... totally agree with the boss i the wall above too!!!
Old 10-14-2015, 05:21 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonleezombie View Post
Halloween does suffer a bit at times from its low budget, but I still find it more effective. Thoughts? Am I way off on my comparison here?
I don't think Halloween suffers at all from a low budget. It is the classic horror movie. Scream is a good movie too. Perhaps one of the first to make fun of horror tropes. I think another movie came first and I reviewed it here but I can't remember the name of it right now. Yet Scream is no where near as dark, spooky, unsettling, and scary as Halloween.