Old 11-23-2013, 04:17 AM
Evil Dead

The Hitcher (2007)

I was looking forward to seeing what Sean Bean would make of the role in this remake of one of my favourite 80s movies. Not a lot, it turns out :-(

A watchable film sure, no problem there. Quite nicely done even.

As a remake though, blehhhh. The creepy atmosphere of the original seemed to have hitched a lift elsewhere and the dark humour had wandered off too. The few plot changes seemed pointless and added nothing.

Bean, meh. Neither menacing nor frightening imo.

A Fucking Cruel Nightmare (2010)

Slice of German "extreme" horror which really failed to impress. The gore fx were like something from Monty Python and the whole thing was just flat and a bit tedious. I wouldn't recommend this to fans of extreme unless like me you just want to have a complete list.

Shame really, there were some good ideas in there. I think it would have worked better as a full-on trippy dream style thing rather than whatever it was they were aiming for.

Mirrors (2008)

Seemed like 24 with ghosts in places. Can't really put my finger on why this movie failed to impress - interesting story, polished production and all that, but it was as if it all stopped at the back of my eyes and failed to penetrate any deeper. Characters seemed cliched to the point of paint-by-numbers and it had an annoying lack of attention to plot holes as well.

Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009)

Animated adaptation of one of my favourite childhood books. It was very nicely done, charming and entertaining on it's own terms, definitely.

As an adaptation of Dahl's story though it was disappointing. As with most Dahl screen-adaptations the darkness was gone and the story padded out with American and modern culture and "added excitement". Also, Boggis, Bunce and Bean were nowhere near unpleasant and detestable enough.

Last edited by Sicknero; 11-23-2013 at 04:19 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:03 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox13 View Post
^I liked Crooked House but I can't for the life of me remember anything about it (except for Mark Gastis).

Sunset Blvd. (1950)

Flawless Film Noir - A down on his luck writer ends up getting involved with an aging ex-film star (the latter played by Gloria Swanson who steals the show). A must see.
Crooked House is streaming on Netflix till Dec 1. It wasn't bad in anyway, it just wasn't that memorable. The best scene was from the story that took place in the 1700s where that guy's walls kept growing black spots. That was somewhat creepy.

As for Sunset Blvd, I rewatched that recently with the new blu ray release, I was blown away by what a great film it was. Like you said, flawless. Entertaining as hell. One of the greatest movies from one of the greatest film makers.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:58 PM
Coven of the Bloodsisters

Send a message via Yahoo to Alucard the Risen
Pontypool:

That film was fucking great, awesome sound, amazing tension for such a small cast and simple setting, and a unique (to me) concept what with using speech to infect the population rather than the standard gas/bioweapon/being bitten/wounded you usually see, definite buy!
Old 11-25-2013, 05:06 AM
HDC's old chick

The Hollow Crown: Richard II
Old 11-25-2013, 09:19 AM
Author

The last film I saw was Machete Kills...go figure
Old 11-26-2013, 12:29 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard the Risen View Post
Pontypool:

That film was fucking great, awesome sound, amazing tension for such a small cast and simple setting, and a unique (to me) concept what with using speech to infect the population rather than the standard gas/bioweapon/being bitten/wounded you usually see, definite buy!
I loved this film too - get execution of the 'Less is More' concept. There is a very similar movie called Dead Air and though it stars Bill Mosley, it isn't nearly as goo.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:48 PM
Evil Puppy

The Boondock Saints, the wife had never seen it.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:20 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despare View Post
The Boondock Saints, the wife had never seen it.
Love that movie. One of my favorites. What did she think?

Im watching The Hunger Games right now with my fiancee in preparations for seeing Catching Fire on Sunday

Old 11-26-2013, 08:47 PM
Scares Little Kids

The Strangers for the 3rd time. :rolleyes:
Old 11-26-2013, 08:50 PM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
Love that movie. One of my favorites. What did she think?

Im watching The Hunger Games right now with my fiancee in preparations for seeing Catching Fire on Sunday
She loved it, but I think that's because she's such a big fan of Dary... I mean Norman Reedus haha.

Catching Fire was good, better than the first one IMO. Tucci has been great in both and Phillip Seymore Hoffman was a pleasure to watch.

Tags
movie