Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-28-2014, 10:35 AM
Evil Dead

Funny Games (1997)

Austrian thriller film about two men hold a family captive while they are in their vacation home, and they physically and psychologically torture them with sadistic games.

Pretty interesting take on the home invasion genre, and it was especially relevant in the late 90's when movies were becoming even more gory and gritty. This movie is mostly a critique on horror movies of the time. The film intentionally contradicts itself, and one of the men occasionally breaks the fourth wall. On one occasion, he makes a bet with the family and asks the audience's opinion on the bet. The other captor frequently states the rules of a thriller film, such as how he won't kill the family immediately because there's "not as much entertainment value". There's even a scene where one of them rewinds the film itself so that the events play out how he wants it to. It's a pretty morbid movie; there's hardly any gore, but the scares are mostly psychological. Other than that, the movie is a little dull at times.

6/10
Old 12-28-2014, 01:42 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux2007 View Post
Austrian thriller film about two men hold a family captive while they are in their vacation home, and they physically and psychologically torture them with sadistic games.

Pretty interesting take on the home invasion genre, and it was especially relevant in the late 90's when movies were becoming even more gory and gritty. This movie is mostly a critique on horror movies of the time. The film intentionally contradicts itself, and one of the men occasionally breaks the fourth wall. On one occasion, he makes a bet with the family and asks the audience's opinion on the bet. The other captor frequently states the rules of a thriller film, such as how he won't kill the family immediately because there's "not as much entertainment value". There's even a scene where one of them rewinds the film itself so that the events play out how he wants it to. It's a pretty morbid movie; there's hardly any gore, but the scares are mostly psychological. Other than that, the movie is a little dull at times.

6/10
Interesting.....I have only seen the American version with Tim Roth. I will have to check it out some time.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:47 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfantasy View Post
Interesting.....I have only seen the American version with Tim Roth. I will have to check it out some time.
The US version is a shot-for-shot remake.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:57 PM
Evil Dead

Inside (2007)

Full review in Last Seen Contemporary Movie thread.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:01 PM
Wanna Join?

CAT O' NINE TAILS. Good show, really enjoyed it even though Argento said it was his least favorite film.

"Within the framework of most horror tales we find a moral code so strong it would make a Puritan smile." Stephen King, DANSE MACABRE
Old 02-25-2015, 02:37 PM
Banned

The Perfume of the Lady in Black -- 4.5/10; Rather dull, but with a great finale.

Quote:
Inside (2007)

Full review in Last Seen Contemporary Movie thread.
The cat scene...

Great flick.

Quote:

6/10
They don't come more heavy-handed than this. Couldn't be bothered with the remake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by themidnightpeople View Post
I can't wait to look into this movie. I've been desperate for stuff to watch lately. Huge fan of Cemetery Man so I'm sure I'll like it.
Unforgettable imagery.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:39 PM
Evil Dead

Når Dyrene Drømmer
Old 02-28-2015, 01:57 PM
Relentless thrill seeker

'Possession', Polish, 1981.

I think Zulawski may have inspired some of Cronenberg's early body horror.

Anyway, I thought it was genius and Isabelle Adjani is as lovely as she is batsh*t.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40R0ccBfYpM
Old 02-28-2015, 03:47 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchen View Post
'Possession', Polish, 1981.

I think Zulawski may have inspired some of Cronenberg's early body horror.

Anyway, I thought it was genius and Isabelle Adjani is as lovely as she is batsh*t.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40R0ccBfYpM
Polish? I believe it was from the UK? Amazing flic.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:20 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBossInTheWall View Post
Polish? I believe it was from the UK? Amazing flic.
Polish Director (by way of Ukraine) - shot in Germany.