Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-11-2013, 10:02 AM
Scares Little Kids

Help regarding old horror books please.

Hi all just joined this site. I have been doing some searching of late trying to find out about as many old horror books to attempt to buy and read. The quandary is that I am looking for books from the 70s, 80s and 90s especially the ones with the lurid but great cover art. Now I already have some like The rats trilogy, Cruising, The exorcist etc and have ordered a few already such as Majorettes, The collector and so on.

It would be great if any other suggestions could be made for me please any links to sites with cover arts, reviews or personal recommendations and so on, many thanks !
Old 10-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Horror Fan

Hmmm no extensive suggestions in answer to your question, but you might look into sfear's favorite novel, The Monster Club, if it ever comes down in price: http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Club-R...=UTF8&sr=&qid=

I'm responding more to your abiding interest. Do you have any personal favorite horror tomes from the decades you've listed?

Old 10-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Scares Little Kids

Thanks i'll check that out. Well i suppose my interests are quite diverse. I'll read almost anything but my particular interests are straight up horror, serial killer fact / fiction, mystery and animal horror (is that even a correct term ha,ha). What i do plan to do is note down my internet finds so i could post here to see if they are worth tracking down? Majorettes and The wilds are what i have ordered amongst others, Majorettes sounds like a book in the style of the old 80's slasher films...

What has just popped into my head is the book the film April fools day was based on. The film revealed all the deaths where SPOILERS but apparently the book carries on after the 'reveal' and killings actually.....heh not sure how much i can say.

What i have looked at so far is books like Piranha, Killer crabs, Spiders and so on. Apologies if anything is incoherent as typing from a PS3 controller isn't great.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:55 AM
Scares Little Kids

That is a quick pic of what I am asking about, old style books maybe not necessarily straight horror but books with horror undertones, such as Amok, at it's core it could be likened to Rambo but the protagonist slices and dices etc. I just recieved Majorettes this morning too :)

I'll try and jot down some other finds to see what you guys think.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:45 AM
Scares Little Kids

Recieved this book this morning and have ordered April fools day too. The other books I have interest in and could do with other opinions before needlessly ordering are,

The girl next door, Leviathan, The dark below, The running of beasts, The godsend, The hounds of Tindalas, Webs, Spiders, The boogeyman, Night of the crabs, Killer crabs, The origin of the crabs, Crabs on the rampage, Crabs moon, Crabs the human sacrifice, The thing, Rip tide, The keeper.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:41 AM
Wanna Join?

SLOB by Rex Miller might do the trick. If I knew where my copy was I'd read it next for Halloween. Sounds like something you might be looking for.

"Within the framework of most horror tales we find a moral code so strong it would make a Puritan smile." Stephen King, DANSE MACABRE
Old 10-21-2013, 11:46 AM
Scares Little Kids

Thanks for the suggestion but I have read the first two of the 'chaingang' series, although thanks for the reminder as I have yet to read the rest, I think there's five books in all, more to ferret out !
Old 10-21-2013, 07:11 PM
Wanna Join?

THE SEARCH FOR JOSEPH TULLY by William H. Hallahan is from the 70s and was a pretty good read as I recall.

"Within the framework of most horror tales we find a moral code so strong it would make a Puritan smile." Stephen King, DANSE MACABRE
Old 12-05-2013, 04:08 PM
Evil Dead

You should look into the now defunct line of horror, Dell Abyss. They have the covers you're looking for and a lot of them are very good reads. I would recommend any of their Kathe Koja books, Anthony Shriek, Wilding(or any Melanie Tem/Resnick-Tem book), Dead in the Water(its not great, but a decent read. good to read in the bathtub to give it that extra atmosphere of water), and Lost Futures.

http://toomuchhorrorfiction.blogspot...ck-covers.html

https://www.goodreads.com/genres/dell-abyss-horror

I'd skip Harrowgate and Whipping Boy, unless you want something that doesn't take much effort to read before getting sleepy for bed.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Wanna Join?

What about WHIPPING BOY by John Byrne? Have you read that? I seen it somewhere second hand and almost got it. Think it's by the well known comic writer who rebooted Superman a few decades back.

Tags
horror books old