Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-07-2013, 07:17 AM
Evil Dead

Looking for horror novels with non traditional scares...

Like the title says, I like horror stories, but I am tired of the same old scares. I am looking for horror using an untraditional premise for its subject. So no vampires, werewolves, zombies, demons, lovecraftian monsters, etc. I want something original. Can anyone suggest a few books along these lines? It would be much appreciated.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:21 AM
Horror Fan

Consider The Terror by Dan Simmons. An interesting historical non-fiction/horror fiction hybrid.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:33 AM
Evil Dead

If you've not tried the Dexter series by Jeff Lindsay yet, do so :-) It can't be judged by the TV adaptation (although that's pretty good too) as they are entirely different. True, Lindsay does go a bit Lovecraft in one of the novels, but on the whole they're utterly absorbing, very darkly funny, and rather sick at times.

Also Michael Marshal Smith, especially Spares. Not traditional horror but still horrifying in places and an excellent, surreal story. He's written a few, Only Forward is v good as well. Difficult to place him in a genre - I gather that "slip stream" is a popular label for it though.

American Psycho and Less Than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis are both a great read if you're into monsters of the human variety, or if you fancy a bit of bleak depravity then try Filth by Irvine Welsh.

Oh yeah... Stephen King writing as Bachman. I remember a book of four short stories, one being The Long Walk. I found that quite uneasy reading.

Last edited by Sicknero; 09-07-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:21 PM
Wanna Join?

THE KING IN YELLOW is certainly different than "traditional" fare as far as I can tell with it's nerving-racking under current of the malevolent, and Clark Ashton Smith's tale "The City Of Singing Flame" tippy toes across the piano wire dividing horror and fantasy with one of the strangest stories you're ever liable to come across.

"Within the framework of most horror tales we find a moral code so strong it would make a Puritan smile." Stephen King, DANSE MACABRE
Old 09-07-2013, 02:45 PM
Hellraiser

The Hungry Moon by Ramsey Campbell was pretty damn original.
Also, I know you said no Lovecraftian stuff, but I highly recommend John Dies at the End by David Wong. It's one of the only books that's managed to both terrify me and make me laugh. The only other novel that's done that is the sequel, This Book is Full of Spiders.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:36 PM
Undead

I read a book by Poppy Z. Brite when I was in high school that I enjoyed, it was a vampire story, but a bit more gritty than others that I've read.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:59 PM
Evil Dead

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I will go through them when I have the time. The Hungry Moon is already on my reading list, by the way, and I am looking forward to that one. This summer I read a book by James Herbert called The Fog which was fine. I wish that book had been the source material for Carpenter's movie of the same title, it would've made for a better movie. Right now I am reading something called The Thing on the Shore by Tom Fletcher, I have just started it though.

my list of books to read so far is:
The Dark, James Herbert
The Hungry Moon, Ramsey Campbell
Apartment 16, Adam Nevill

Keep the suggestions coming! I do appreciate it.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Hellraiser

I hope you enjoy it :)
Old 09-08-2013, 01:40 PM
TobyT

At the risk of being self-serving, I recommend my novel, LILITH, a supernatural thriller that takes place aboard an aircraft carrier at sea. It features an unusual creature called a Lilitu, which is not a vampire, zombie or anything common like that :) It's action-oriented, but also dark and character driven. Released by DarkFuse. Here's a little bit about the book below:

“Tate is a master at sustaining suspense...LILITH gets my highest recommendation.” —Horror World

Now available from DarkFuse at Amazon, BN.com, and wherever books are sold!

Before evil had a name, there was Lilith.

Something has come aboard the U.S. Navy's newest state-of-the-art super carrier, the USS Gerald Ford, something supernatural and as ancient as time itself. And it's taking over the crew one by one.

Reporter Hunter Singleton and his wife Lisa, guests invited aboard to witness a routine training mission off the coast of North Carolina, soon learn that the CIA is onboard as well, and that some of the ship's crew are acting irrationally, even violently.

When an unexpected monster hurricane slams New York, the ship rushes to assist in the aftermath, and Hunter, Lisa and the crew are faced with the terrifying realization that whatever has come aboard the Ford must be stopped before it is set free on the streets of Manhattan. But how do they fight something beyond human comprehension? How do they kill something that may not even be alive?

The clock is ticking...and Time itself is running out.

LILITH, a supernatural horror/thriller by Toby Tate

Praise…

"LILITH is a strong addition to horror fiction collections - recommended!" —Midwest Book Review

“…a supernatural technothriller that might appeal to a broader than usual audience.” —Library Journal

“An exceptionally imaginative horror/thriller…” —Mallory Heart Reviews

“…takes us briskly along a surprising path from the real to the utterly fantastic.”—Warren Fahy, International bestselling author of PANDEMONIUM and FRAGMENT.

“Some books are just meant to be read for pure enjoyment factor alone, like the best of the Summer Blockbuster movies, these books take a hold of your brain and bombard with thrilling images until a big grin forms across your face. Lilith is a very good example of such a book.”—Jim Mcleod, Ginger Nuts of Horror

“A really excellent tale with mythic creatures, mayhem, blood and plenty of action and frights.”—Peter Schwotzer, Literary Mayhem
Old 09-29-2013, 01:26 AM
The Spooky Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
This summer I read a book by James Herbert called The Fog which was fine. I wish that book had been the source material for Carpenter's movie of the same title, it would've made for a better movie. Right now I am reading something called The Thing on the Shore by Tom Fletcher, I have just started it though.

my list of books to read so far is:
The Dark, James Herbert
The Hungry Moon, Ramsey Campbell
Apartment 16, Adam Nevill

Keep the suggestions coming! I do appreciate it.
I love The Thing on the Shore. So different to much of the stuff out there. Have you read The Leaping or The Ravenglass Eye, both also by Fletcher? They're great reads too, and also quite unique both in style and presentation.

Apartment 16 by Adam Nevill is one of my favourite horror novels of all time. It really had a big impact on me when reading. The way he portrayed fear, panic and also decay in parts of his prose really blew me away.

I haven't yet read Hungry Moon but it's on my list. Ancient Images by Ramsey Campbell is also an enjoyable read. Really had quite a Wicker Man-vibe to it I felt.

If you're looking for the non-traditional then I'd suggest possibly Last Days by Adam Nevill, or for something really 'out there' I'd look at either House of Fallen Trees by Gina Ranalli or Strangers by Taichi Yamada. Both left quite an impact on me - for good or bad :cool: But I'd definitely recommend reading them.

Spooky Reads