Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-18-2013, 04:47 AM
Scares Little Kids

Looking for a Publisher accepting Anthology ideas

I want to edit an anthology of short horror stories focusing on plants. Or at least see the anthology made by someone else.

I've contacted a lot of small presses and the answers are the same. Either they are not accepting new projects right now, or they only do projects in-house.

Anyone know any publications that are open to new editors? Or accepting new ideas?
Old 12-18-2013, 05:45 PM
Cranky

It's a tough thing you're asking. You're asking a small press to put their reputation on the line and put their resources behind not only someone they've never heard of, but has no credits to their name.

You're going to have some kind of track record behind you before anyone will consider you. You can self-publish some projects with your own "small press," or you can take the arduous path of submitting work to known publishers and gaining a reputation that way.

There are thousands of fly by night publishers out there, and authors have ways of guarding against them, so starting your own press will be hard as well. If you don't offer any cash, you'll only get work from the most desperate authors.

Going the traditional route will take you years, but it's ultimately fulfilling. I myself am editing my first anthology for a publisher I have previous contacts with.

It's not a rosy picture, but it's the plain truth. Unfortunately the world is not sitting around for an anthology from somebody they've never heard of, no msatter how brilliant the premise is.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 12-18-2013, 09:34 PM
Scares Little Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
It's a tough thing you're asking. You're asking a small press to put their reputation on the line and put their resources behind not only someone they've never heard of, but has no credits to their name.

You're going to have some kind of track record behind you before anyone will consider you. You can self-publish some projects with your own "small press," or you can take the arduous path of submitting work to known publishers and gaining a reputation that way.
Thing is I have credits to my name. I've edited two anthologies (and am working on a third right now) and a novella, as well as 6 short stories in various anthologies and magazines. All through a small press that's been around since 2004.

However this is all erotica in a niche market. I want to make a jump into horror and SF/F, so I can actually put things I've written on my resume.

Last edited by Rechan; 12-18-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:02 PM
Cranky

Hmm... well, good luck.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff