Old 10-24-2007, 09:06 AM
Undead

Who played DRACULA'S DAUGHTER? Well, it's Gloria Holden of course. And she's amazing. Too bad she never did another horror film.

And what a shame the studio cut Bela Lugosi's part. (He was originally meant to appear to a prologue with her.) Still, the beginning of the film, where she steals his body and burns it, conveys a tremendous sense that this sequel is taking place immediately after the end of DRACULA. And I suppose that might have been lost if they'd used the prologue. Still it might have kept poor Bela's career from taking that instant, irreversible plunge. I mean, look what the FRANKENSTEIN sequels did for Karloff.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:48 AM
Undead

classics

I'm suddenly in a very holiday frame of mind. Anyone want to suggest any Christmas/New Year's themed horror films? (Besides the obvious Santa with a bloody ax titles, I mean?)

There's always CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE of course, though this photo seems to be from the alternative/unused ending.

One remembers the ghost of Irena in the snow ...
Old 11-27-2007, 08:05 PM
The Countess

Send a message via Yahoo to Marya Zaleska
[QUOTE=Blood Dragoness;638136]One of my very favorite black and white films was " Black Sunday" those eyes of Barbara Steele creeped me out. One of Mario Bava's best.

The Tingler was another one that I loved with Vincent Price

Experiment In Terror with Lee Remic ,and Ross Martin was superb as the villan

Lady In A Cage with Olivia DeHaveland

Whatever Haappened To Baby Jane? with Betty Davis

Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte with Betty Davis

Psycho

Response To Blood Dragoness Favorites:

I too like Black Sunday. Barbara Steele has those creepy, horrifying staring eyes. Whew!

I just got Experiment In Terror on DVD. I had never seen it before. Ross Martin made an excellent villain I remember him as Artemus Gordon for The Wild, Wild West.

Whatever Happened To Baby Jane was excellent with Bette Davis, Joan Crawford and Victor Buono.

Bette Davis was made up like something out of a nightmare as Baby Jane. I would hate to meet her in a dark alley.

I watched Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte last night. Bette Davis gave her normal excellent performance. This is the first film I have ever seen Olivia DeHavilland in as the villainess. She was quite mean and convincing!

Hitchcock's Psyco was one of the great thriller/horror films with Anthony Perkins dressing up as his mother and killing people. Also the sight of the decayed mother sitting in a chair was frightening as well. It was an excellent, atmospheric thriller up to the usual Hitchcock standards.

Countess Marya

The Countess
Old 12-29-2007, 05:19 PM
Rarebird

Hey Robert,

I just finished watching "The Lodger" and "Hangover Square" both starring
Laird Cregar. Talk about atmosphere! I would recommend both to anyone interested in pschological horror films. I could not find your list, but I'd be surprised if they weren't included.

-Marlon-
Old 01-06-2008, 11:36 AM
Hellraiser

"Haunting" is the among my top 5 best classic horrors
Old 01-07-2008, 09:10 AM
AsteroidsDoNotConcernMe

Any film by Curtis Harrington. This great filmmaker is known by far too few. You can get "Ruby" (1977) fairly easily. I thought it was his best film. It's murky and much is left to the imagination (in a confusing way) but I believe this was intended...it's like a horror film painted in watercolor, with the individual colors blending and blurring together into unsettling gray tones.

Friend....gooooood!

Old 01-10-2008, 08:40 PM
The Countess

Send a message via Yahoo to Marya Zaleska
Laird Cregar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
Hey Robert,

I just finished watching "The Lodger" and "Hangover Square" both starring
Laird Cregar. Talk about atmosphere! I would recommend both to anyone interested in pschological horror films. I could not find your list, but I'd be surprised if they weren't included.

-Marlon-
I have both of these films and they are great! It's hard to beat the atmosphere and both are psychologically facinating.

Laird Cregar was 6' tall and weighed over 300 lbs. He wanted to be a leading man and through a crash diet lost 100 lbs. The shock to his system was so great he had to have stomach surgery and he died from a heart attack shortly thereafter. He was only 28! So sad!

Countess Marya

The Countess