Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-26-2008, 05:24 AM
Evil Puppy

Better than...

Post a movie and state which movie in the same genre it eclipses.

For instance...

Nosferatu is better than Dracula (1931)

Discussion is open if you agree or disagree but please try to add something more than "that movie sux".
Old 02-26-2008, 05:35 AM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despare View Post
Nosferatu is better than Dracula (1931)
In more ways than one.

Night of the Living Dead (1968) is better than Dawn of the Dead (1978). I am sure a lot of people might disagree with me, but I stand by it.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:05 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
In more ways than one.

Night of the Living Dead (1968) is better than Dawn of the Dead (1978). I am sure a lot of people might disagree with me, but I stand by it.
I would definitely agree with that. Dawn is a lot less atmospheric.

And my comparison: Mad Love is better than the Raven. I think Lorre's performance is one of the greatest in horror history and the movie is just cooler, more perverse, better shot and full of memorable images.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:11 AM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Faustus View Post
I would definitely agree with that. Dawn is a lot less atmospheric.

And my comparison: Mad Love is better than the Raven. I think Lorre's performance is one of the greatest in horror history and the movie is just cooler, more perverse, better shot and full of memorable images.
I agree, Lorre is under-appreciated, the story is a wonderful take on The Hands of Orlac tale, and the direction is almost flawless.

This may be against the grain but I still hold firm on my opinion that A Tale of Two Sisters is better than Audition.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:17 AM
Pepper's Ghost

Send a message via AIM to knife_fight
I agree with you on that. "Tale" is more haunting, no pun intended.

Sleepaway Camp is better than Friday the 13th.

I don't know if it's b/c I've seen F13 so many times or what, but the first time I saw Sleepaway Camp, that ending made me feel extremely "unsettled." whereas the F13 ending was a blatant ripoff of Carrie. (still actually like F13 better)
Old 02-26-2008, 06:36 AM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Sleepaway Camp is better than Friday the 13th.
Compared to the endings, maybe yes. But overall...questionable.

Alien is better than Body Snatchers, specially due to the atmosphere and the claustrophobic touches.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:51 AM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Compared to the endings, maybe yes. But overall...questionable.

Alien is better than Body Snatchers, specially due to the atmosphere and the claustrophobic touches.
Wow that's a tough call to agree OR disagree with. Does the atmosphere and claustrophobia in Alien really overwhelm the sense of paranoia found in Body Snatchers? I'd have to watch them both again, back to back to see how I really feel (really it just gives me an excuse to watch a couple great films B2B).

I think The Eye (the original) is better than The Ring (or Ringu, whatever you like to call the original).
Old 02-26-2008, 06:58 AM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despare View Post
Wow that's a tough call to agree OR disagree with. Does the atmosphere and claustrophobia in Alien really overwhelm the sense of paranoia found in Body Snatchers? I'd have to watch them both again, back to back to see how I really feel (really it just gives me an excuse to watch a couple great films B2B).

I think The Eye (the original) is better than The Ring (or Ringu, whatever you like to call the original).
The paranoia factor was almost the same in both movies, IMO. The fierceness of the creature and the crew's helplessness and lack of weapons added to the paranoia in Alien (remember Ripley's desperation while seeking answers from Mother, or while talking to Ash...Dallas's extreme paranoia and fright in the vents...to name a few).

Definitely agree with The Eye. Ringu was just not THAT scary.

Barrymore's Jeckyll and Hyde was much better than March's portrayal of the mad doctor (although March got the Oscar for it).
Old 02-26-2008, 07:21 AM
Day of the Dead

I am going to stretch it a bit and say Day of the Dead was better than Fulci's Zombie, just for overall entertainment and better linear plotline.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:22 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
In more ways than one.

I have to agree with you on this one. Night was not only more atmospheric, it was more of a horror film than Dawn. Dawn, in my opinion, seemed to almost fall into the action category, and it actually took the zombie films away from the horror genre. This could be the reason that I'm not a huge fan of zombie films.

I think to, for some odd reason, when horror films were filmed in black and white, they were much creepier than the ones we now have in color. Maybe it's just the sense that you can't actually see everything?

Carnival Of Souls (1962) is better than Night Of The Living Dead (1968). Yes, I know that Carnival is where Romero got the influence and idea to create Night, but that isn't why. I personally found Carnival Of Souls to be a bit scary, even though it wasn't as disturbing as some I've seen.

I'm sure a lot of people disagree with me on this, but when I think about when I watched Carnival Of Souls for the first time, I still get disturbing images pop into my head.