Old 05-08-2012, 12:01 AM
Banned

have you read any simon kurt unsworth bob?hes relatively new i think.i read a short story of his,he has this real old school gothic style of writing..but new..if ya know what i mean.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:54 PM
Scares Little Kids

anyone here like/tired...

Scott Sigler
Robert Bloch
Warren Fahy
Robert Jackson Bennett
Robert Mccammon
Old 05-08-2012, 07:23 PM
Demon from Ago

Sounds interesting, I'll have to check him out.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:25 PM
Demon from Ago

I like Robert Bloch and Robert McCammon, the other three are new to me.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Evil is Better

Reading Naked Heat by "Richard Castle"

Old 05-10-2012, 05:52 AM
Horror writer

Seed by Ania Ahlborn, very King-ish
Old 05-14-2012, 09:09 PM
Demon from Ago

Just finished up Jake's Wake by Skipp & Goodfellow. This book is hard to put down, it's so out there and yet so engrossing all at the same time. The action doesn't really start until about 50 pages in, but once it begins it doesn't stop. The body count is high and those bodies endure a lot of torture. Characters are brought into the book just so they can be brutally slaughtered. There's a lot of gore, but what else would you expect from John Skipp?

The characters are flawed, almost to the point where you dislike them. Jake's ladies, the three main characters, are weak, weaker, weakest. But it makes them more realistic. But thankfully they grow as the story goes on and become stronger.

There are very strong religious themes in this book that might irritate those who hate reading anything along those lines. The book never approaches "preachy" but it's hard not to get into religion when the main baddie was a fake evangelist. There is a lot of subtext here on people who are searching for hope being easily lead, and charismatic leaders who preach the right words being able to control them. The book never degenerates into Christian bashing, nor does it wave the Christian recruiter flag, it is more a commentary of the Jim and Tammy Fay Bakers in the world. But never fear... this book really doesn't rise much beyond a fun filled horror novel, no real thought required.

I have to admit that the ending was unexpected, not all of it, but a chunk of it was out there... strangely if you had told me that the book would end like that, I probably would have said "No, that's a terrible ending!" but as I said, I didn't expect it... and it worked for me. On the whole this is a very strong book with a lot of enjoyable parts and a satisfying ending

Next up for me: The Freakshow by Bryan Smith
Old 05-14-2012, 10:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gray View Post
Just finished up Jake's Wake by Skipp & Goodfellow. This book is hard to put down, it's so out there and yet so engrossing all at the same time. The action doesn't really start until about 50 pages in, but once it begins it doesn't stop. The body count is high and those bodies endure a lot of torture. Characters are brought into the book just so they can be brutally slaughtered. There's a lot of gore, but what else would you expect from John Skipp?

The characters are flawed, almost to the point where you dislike them. Jake's ladies, the three main characters, are weak, weaker, weakest. But it makes them more realistic. But thankfully they grow as the story goes on and become stronger.

There are very strong religious themes in this book that might irritate those who hate reading anything along those lines. The book never approaches "preachy" but it's hard not to get into religion when the main baddie was a fake evangelist. There is a lot of subtext here on people who are searching for hope being easily lead, and charismatic leaders who preach the right words being able to control them. The book never degenerates into Christian bashing, nor does it wave the Christian recruiter flag, it is more a commentary of the Jim and Tammy Fay Bakers in the world. But never fear... this book really doesn't rise much beyond a fun filled horror novel, no real thought required.

I have to admit that the ending was unexpected, not all of it, but a chunk of it was out there... strangely if you had told me that the book would end like that, I probably would have said "No, that's a terrible ending!" but as I said, I didn't expect it... and it worked for me. On the whole this is a very strong book with a lot of enjoyable parts and a satisfying ending

Next up for me: The Freakshow by Bryan Smith

sounds good ,man iv been looking for bryan smith everywhere with no luck.
half way through my peter straub, the action is finally happening half way through for christ sake ,and it looks like it about a 700 page bookand it all fell in to place way too convieniantly.i mean a guy escapes from a police station(some how they are to slow in there cars to catch him once hes got his car) and when he wants to change car,the first one he comes across to hijack happens to be a guy he new,who gives him the car coz hes senile...and there happens to be 16000 bux in the glovey or something..and it carrys on.anyway its getting good finally so ill stop my bitching
Old 05-16-2012, 04:12 PM
Scares Little Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard of gore View Post
sounds good ,man iv been looking for bryan smith everywhere with no luck.
half way through my peter straub, the action is finally happening half way through for christ sake ,and it looks like it about a 700 page bookand it all fell in to place way too convieniantly.i mean a guy escapes from a police station(some how they are to slow in there cars to catch him once hes got his car) and when he wants to change car,the first one he comes across to hijack happens to be a guy he new,who gives him the car coz hes senile...and there happens to be 16000 bux in the glovey or something..and it carrys on.anyway its getting good finally so ill stop my bitching
Straub likes to show you his characters early on while the plot develops. If your big into characters he comes up with some of the best, but the "action" will not be as great in less you can connect somehow to his characters.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockworkedorange View Post
Straub likes to show you his characters early on while the plot develops. If your big into characters he comes up with some of the best, but the "action" will not be as great in less you can connect somehow to his characters.
yeah some of his characters are good,most are shit ,but this book plain fuckin bores me.im three quaters through the book now and the action has stopped again and gone back to trying too hard to be mysterious and have a lot of suspense .and long convos on stuff thats spose to help me put the plot together but just bores the shit out of me.i rearly do this but i might have close this book and start a Joe R lansdale.
dont get me wrong im not just into strait splatter punk,i do like suspense and all that but it at least has to be kinda interesting,same with the characters