Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-26-2010, 03:56 AM
Whip In My Valise

Movie Twists - A Plea

DO NOT FEAR NO SPOILERS

I love movie twists. I enjoy watching a film for a second time to appreciate all the clues pointing toward the twist. There have been many successes and many, many failures in this type of film. Two types of failures that immediately spring to mind are the films that just cheat so you don't see the twist coming, and the film that doesn't cheat, but just leaves you kind of disappointed [Bart Simpson: You know what would have been scarier than nothing? Anything!].
Anyway, my plea is directed towards people that have seen a film of this type (and this includes many film critics who should know better). PLEASE, do not even hint that a movie has a twist in it. There's nothing quite like someone saying "This movie has a twist that you won't see coming" to spoil the fun.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:56 AM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
I will no longer hint.

The Ferrets like it...
Old 04-26-2010, 05:37 PM
Evil Dead

I am assuming that this is a statement, more so than an actual conversation, being that you do not want us to hint at any movie twists. Kind of like how Anakin Skywalker grew up to be Darth Vader, and is Luke Skywalker's father...Whoops!...My bad.

Last edited by VampiricClown; 04-26-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:11 PM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWickerFan View Post
There's nothing quite like someone saying "This movie has a twist that you won't see coming" to spoil the fun.
Yeh that does kinda kill it. It's so much better when you completely blind to the fact that the flick has a twist.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:05 PM
Hellraiser

I don't want to be guilty of what you are complaining about, but as it is a ten year old movie I don't think it will be a huge spoiler to say this happened to me watching the others. I thought it looked interesting and read the newspaper review which said that it had a shock ending you'd never see coming. If he hadn't said that I probably wouldn't have guessed and been pleasantly surprised at the ending. Now if a movie looks interesting I make a point of not reading any reviews before I see it. Most critics don't like the sort of movies I do anyway, so I don't really care what they think and they'll only end up spoiling it for me by giving something away.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:44 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
I don't really know why you would even need to say that a movie had an unpredictable twist. It makes me sad that that's something that would stand out. It's akin to "hot damn, this meat ain't even spoiled!" I suppose most movies just plod along while people talk amongst themselves about the inevitable and obvious resolution. Like in this scene from Casablanca:
Rick:
You know, Sam, I really like Ilsa, but I think in spite of my affection, I'm going to let Victor Laszlo have her, because it's just better that way.
Sam:
Sounds like a good idea, Rick. It would show that your jaded and selfish facade is in fact just a front. Also, Louis seems like a good guy. You should begin a beautiful friendship with him.
Rick:
You're a smart guy, Sam.

It's called writing, people. Expect a fucking twist. "What? It seems almost like the action is this scene is rising..."
Old 04-27-2010, 08:50 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Also, Faustus is law.