Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-11-2021, 03:25 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
You aren't saying that the sequels to Terminator and Alien are bad are you?
Not at all. Both were amazing. In both franchises, the third part is where the diminishing returns started.
Old 12-12-2021, 10:41 PM
Living Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis View Post
Alien³

Like with Terminator, it seems like part 3 did more damage than the original sequel.

While Aliens expanded on the original concept, this one ventures more into generic action film territory. Not much to care about, though it's nice to Pete "Kobayashi" Postlethwaite get a small part. Even Sigourney Weaver looks a bit lackluster in this one and the Lance Henriksen cameo was a bit forced.

David Fincher probably did what he could with the script he was given, but at that point, he was still a way away from his later masterpieces.

It makes me want to say something nice, because somewhere in there, there's something that convinced a studio exec to give him the green light to do Seven. What it is? Not sure yet.
I think it would had been quite a different movie if they went with the other script: https://www.awesomefilm.com/script/Alien3.txt

But to be fair, I think it is quite hard to end a trilogy like that with a movie of the same level with different directors and different writers.
Old 12-14-2021, 03:16 AM
This is a test

Land of the Blue Lakes 2021
subtitles

Found footage of a group of friends on a kayaking trip.

Not really my thing. Slow with an uneventful ending.
Old 12-14-2021, 04:20 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis View Post
Not at all. Both were amazing. In both franchises, the third part is where the diminishing returns started.
I thought you were saying that the first Terminator sequel did damage to the original.

There is something in T2 that could still be used in a sequel. I'm surprised that no one noticed it from all the directors and writers that worked on the sequels. I thought James Cameron might use it but I guess he liked the story from the last movie.

Doesn't really matter. I kind of used it myself for a quick outline for a Terminator 3. I find every movie after T2 to be a joke for the most part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
I think it would had been quite a different movie if they went with the other script: https://www.awesomefilm.com/script/Alien3.txt

But to be fair, I think it is quite hard to end a trilogy like that with a movie of the same level with different directors and different writers.
I know they made a comic from the original story. I haven't read it yet. But the only story after Aliens was the origin of the derelict ship. But they couldn't even get that right in Prometheus.

I'm curious about the upcoming TV show. But it's like Star Wars at this point. They made too many bad movies. I think only the new Halloween series says disregard the tons of sequels. I can't think of another series that does that right now.
Old 12-14-2021, 07:06 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
I thought you were saying that the first Terminator sequel did damage to the original.

There is something in T2 that could still be used in a sequel. I'm surprised that no one noticed it from all the directors and writers that worked on the sequels. I thought James Cameron might use it but I guess he liked the story from the last movie.

Doesn't really matter. I kind of used it myself for a quick outline for a Terminator 3. I find every movie after T2 to be a joke for the most part.

I know they made a comic from the original story. I haven't read it yet. But the only story after Aliens was the origin of the derelict ship. But they couldn't even get that right in Prometheus.

I'm curious about the upcoming TV show. But it's like Star Wars at this point. They made too many bad movies. I think only the new Halloween series says disregard the tons of sequels. I can't think of another series that does that right now.
Speaking of TV shows and Terminator... I thought the Sarah Connor Chronicles was pretty good. Two seasons.

Alien 3 was horrible compared to the first two. I was mildly entertained when I saw it. I've seen much worse. I thought it was an interesting story setting, but it just didnt come together. The ending itself was irksome.

Old 12-17-2021, 02:13 PM
Evil Dead

Child’s Play was a fun little remake.

You go in expecting disaster and a convoluted mess. Especially when the opening sequence pulls a serious version of the classic Simpsons-bit - Here's your problem, someone set this thing to evil. Then it turns out to be not that bad and, at times, pretty entertaining.

No four stars, though, because the end was too wonky. But the kills are cool (apart the self driving car bit) and I found it a nice touch that the Kaslan logo reminded of Tesla.

Let's go over the comparison.

Chucky > Buddi

The original Chucky (if you don't count the cheesy sequels) had a meanness that this one dearly misses. Apart from one or two moments, the doll is not that scary.

Mark Hamill < Brad Dourif (but not by much)

Nothing touches on Dourif's performance, but it has to be said that Mark Hamill adds a nice touch, giving a hint of innocence to the Chucky character. Making it all the more creepy when he turns on you. You can tell that Hamill is a good voice actor. Makes me all the more curious about his rendition of The Joker. Any recommendations?

Aubrey Plaza > Catherine Hicks

Aubrey Plaza is more convincing as an overworked single mom.

Alex Vincent > Gabriel Bateman (definetily)

Alex Vincent did a good child performance, making Andy look cute and somewhat likable. Gabriel Bateman and his friends just go down the same kid character road set by Stranger Things. It's been done.
Old 12-17-2021, 02:14 PM
Evil Dead

Alien Resurrection

More generic action and nowhere near the first two.

That said, the action in this one is better. The underwater scene is pretty entertaining and tense.

It also helps that the actors were better than in part 3. Or at least, they were played to their capabilities. Ron Perlman does a good badass and Brad Dourif is at his best when he does a weirdo. And of course the beauty of Winona. Even as a robot
Old 12-18-2021, 11:01 AM
Living Dead

The Nerd: Well, there's no game here. What happened? Did the programmers pass out, or did they just figure nobody would check all 52 games? Well, that's $4 wasted. But I guess I can't say I'm really too excited over playing a game called Alfredo, also known as Alfred N the Fettuc.
Old 12-19-2021, 12:39 AM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Speaking of TV shows and Terminator... I thought the Sarah Connor Chronicles was pretty good. Two seasons.

Alien 3 was horrible compared to the first two. I was mildly entertained when I saw it. I've seen much worse. I thought it was an interesting story setting, but it just didnt come together. The ending itself was irksome.
I thought Sarah Connor Chronicles was hit and miss. Definitely didn't have the creativity of the original 2 movies. And the budget wasn't enough for a Terminator TV show.

I hated that the people behind the show seemed to make cliffhangers and attempted to get fans to extend the show. It worked once but not the second time. You would think the writers would construct a better ending since they barely made it to the second season after the first season. But I guess not.

Part of me thinks that maybe the TV show is the best after the first two movies. But it's really not a high bar to cross when I don't want to watch any Terminator movie after T2.

I still haven't finished that trilogy of books. The first one was good. I have a few Terminator comics and a recent one is on my list. Of course the recent videogame as well.

Last edited by ImmortalSlasher; 12-19-2021 at 12:41 AM.
Old 12-19-2021, 01:02 AM
Evil Dead

Spencer

There is a lot to be said about this flick. About it's qualities and it's problems. It has a few problems, but it remains a fascinating watch nonetheless.

The main problem is that it tries too hard.

It hits you over the head too hard and too often with the image of the frail little blond bird trampled by the heartless in laws and their cronies. About the hard life in a suffocating environment. As if we did not know. Or disagreed, for that matter. Yes, it must drive a person crazy. And yes, you can walk away.

Maybe, it's me being a republican (in the European sense of the word, mind you), but I cannot help but think that women like Diana (and by extension Meghan Markle) know/should know what they are getting into when they join this club. Anyway.

The portrayal of the royal family is both a strength and a frailty. The quality: it hammers home the central message. On the other side, especially Charles looked onedimensional and like a charicature. The embodiment of the stiff upper lip. Not even a slight trace of the man Diana fell in love with. Which begs the question even more: what made her love this man so much that she wanted to be there in the first place?

I cannot say much about the two boys, since I don't know enough about them and in that position, you tend to base your interpretation of the characters on the men they later became.

Which brings us to the star of the film. Which is justified, because she really carries the film. It is really striking how much scenes she spends alone and how little screen time the other family members have.

Being a European with an American accent, I am not well placed to judge the British accent she put on. But I understand how crucial this must be to the English viewers.

That said, Kristen Stewart delivers a tour de force as Diana. She really draws you into her world, using mostly body language and intonation to do so. A very strong performance, resulting in deserved Oscar buzz. Even if it's with an eyeroll at the typical Hollywood hogwash. Why typical? Because Kristen Stewart delivered strong performances in the past (as Joan Jett, for one), but it's not until she does the tragic woe is me character that the Academy notices.

Two small PSes:
1) I liked the kitchen chef because, imho, he had a bit of a Grand Budapest Hotel-air over him.
2) Jonny Greenwood does better scores than Thom Yorke.

Tags
movie