Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-08-2022, 11:29 PM
Evil Dead

THE ALPHABET KILLER (2008). I really enjoyed 2003's WRONG TURN and intrigued when Eliza Dushku and Director Rob Schmidt decided to team up again. TAK certainly has its moments, a grim premise and some decent suspense. Also, Eliza is pretty good as a seriously obsessive, burned out detective, but the narrative starts to unravel and I was not at all satisfied at the wrap-up. **1/2
Old 12-09-2022, 07:09 AM
Hellraiser

[IMG]http://a

Last edited by Amaltheaunicorn2023; 12-11-2022 at 05:31 AM.
Old 12-10-2022, 01:04 PM
Evil Dead

Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday (1993) ★½

I am aware that this film has its own cult following. Somehow. And yes, they tried something different. And yes, the actual Jason death had a bit of an Evil Dead-ish quality to it. So yes, I gave it a chance and yes, I looked for the*positive.

That said, we also*had

- a coroner eating a heart
- worm Jason
- Jason turning into Bill O'Reilly
- Jason going from steamrolling the competition to shaving a tied up cop, because...*reasons

And the Oscar for the best "wait... what... why... what the fuck... WHAT?!"-goes to... Does that sound too weird for you? Here, have a*Voorhees-burger.

Does anything redeem this film? Well, we have Creighton Duke, the "fuck you, I have a gun"-exchange and the death of Michael Phelps' girlfriend in the tent. But*still...

I tried. I really did. But this one is still the worst in the original series. Hands*down.

Last edited by Tommy Jarvis; 12-10-2022 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-10-2022, 01:07 PM
Evil Dead

Nobody Sleeps in the Woods Tonight (2020) ★★★

This was a fun little slasher.*

The killers were somewhere between Victor Crowley and The Toxic Avenger, we had a likable final girl,... And the kills? Well, the opening kill with the mailman - aka Polish Pete Postlethwaite - is a good example. You know what's coming, but it still grabs you. The following ones are a lot more gory and in a same way*satisfactory.

It also offers social commentary. Instead of fat camp, the kids go on "phone camp" and the first kid - after the obligatory sex scene - gets offed after his digibesity gets the better of him. And of course there is the gay character. I imagine this is not a theme you bring up easily in current day Poland, so kudos to the makers for going there. Especially because the character comes to a sad ending, not unlike the original Night Of The Living*Dead.

Which brings me to the stylistic side of this film and it's knowledge of horror history. Apart from the fat kid souting oneliners and reciting classic scripts, the film had/seemed to have nods to
- Wrong Turn 2 (the kill was a direct copy)
- Tucker and Dale vs evil (the woodchipper bit)
- Aliens
- a nice variation on "come with me if you want to live"
- Night of the living dead
- Freddy vs*Jason

And I could swear I heard a variation on "When I need you" by Leo Sayer. Not unlike what Jordan Peele does in*Us.

Maybe not a classic, but very enjoyable*nonetheless.
Old 12-10-2022, 01:08 PM
Evil Dead

Everything Everywhere All at Once (2022) ★½

Da fuq?

Last edited by Tommy Jarvis; 12-10-2022 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-10-2022, 01:11 PM
Evil Dead

Jason X (2001) ★★½

Once you are in space, all bets are off. And at least this time we have the real Jason*again.

At least, the makers go all out silly with the kills and the puns. Brodski is one of the biggest badasses in the franchise and a relief compared to some of the other names. I'm sorry, but if you have the same name as Gargamel's cat, you deserve everything you*get.

Sadly, this film is also a bit of a potboiler, keeping the fire burning until Ffreddy vs Jason gets out of development hell. Or the fact that Jason's biggest killing spree is in large part*unintentional.

More fun than Goes to hell or A new beginning,*though.
Old 12-10-2022, 01:16 PM
Evil Dead

Freddy vs. Jason 2003 ★★½

Come on, tons of fun! Let's go waste that c*cksmoker Dante in his sleep. Make him dream about working on his day off.*Nooch.

There. That's the obligatory Freddy vs Jason Mewes-joke out the*way.

I remember hating this one the first time I saw it. I'll admit that i'm a bit less negative now. It's not as bad as I thought back then, though I still can not rate it as highly as the better ones in the original*series.

Some of the Jason kills keep the charm of the original Friday-series. Some of the dream sequences can go with the original Freddy-series. Granted, they're closer to the Super Freddy-like bits, but still. I kind of like*those.

Dude. Doobie lizard.*Boo-oongg!

Okay, one more for the*road.

I think I can now put my finger on what was wrong with this one in my eyes. It tried too hard to be cool with a crowd that was not really mine. Too bro-ey for my*liking.

The characters were not as douchy as the ones in the reboot. And nobody says you have to be find Teddy Bear likable. But somehow, I'm more likely to hang out with stoner David or with Shelley and Andy than with these*snarks.

A good metal song in a movie? I'm in. Bombtrack in Natural Born Killers is the first example that comes to mind and there are plenty of others. Throw in some generic metal guitars to make it look cool? That does not work for*me.

The acting is a mixed bag. The original series was not renowned for it's acting and most of the cast do what they can with the material they're given. On the other hand, Kelly Rowland was REALLY bad. Shelly's dead-level bad. She and Lady Chong can have a Wiseau-off. Typical of the era where famous people were cast in horror*films.

But why?
Because they're famous.
That*works.

This may have been the biggest commercial success for Friday the 13th, but in my opinion, it would be a pity to end the series here. So part of me still hopes someone gets Vincente DiSanti in touch with Lebron James. So that they can together make a great Jason-movie. End on a high*note.
Old 12-10-2022, 04:58 PM
病気の

Christmas Bloody Christmas, 2022. 7/10

Director Joe Begos

Thumb resize.

The Gray Man, 2022. 7/10

Directors: Anthony Russo & Joe Russo

Thumb resize.

Emily The Criminal, 2022. 7/10

Director: John Patton Ford

Thumb resize.

A Wounded Fawn, 2022. 6.5/10

Director: Travis Stevens

Old 12-11-2022, 01:51 AM
Evil Dead

THE FREEWAY KILLER (2010). Very good and creepy film regarding the exploits of William Bonin, who along with a few accomplices, killed several young men in the Los Angeles area and dumped their bodies on the side of the road hence the name. Scott Anthony Leet plays Bonin and is incredibly loathsome, especially as He begins to close in on his victims. One of the better Serial Killer films I've seen (alongside 2001's ED GEIN and HENRY: PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER), there is a slightly amusing turn by Michael Rooker as the Law Enforcement Officer who tracks and busts Bonin. Considering how repellant He was in HENRY, here He is on the other side. I had never heard of this, but well worth checking out. ***1/2
Old 12-11-2022, 05:32 AM
Hellraiser

[IMG]https://images-wixmMG]

Last edited by Amaltheaunicorn2023; 12-11-2022 at 01:15 PM.

Tags
movie