Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-06-2021, 12:35 PM
ventricle

Gunpowder Milkshake (2021) (netflix)
6/10

Sorta of a tongue-in-check hitwoman noir comedy action film, where in a bad world of bad people a hitwoman saves a kidnapped girl, with a boorishly ton of uninspiring fighting and gunplay.

I was happy enough with the opening, even though it was very Tarantino' familiar, without the good dialogue. But when the hand combat and gunplay scenes dragged on way too long, and repeated and repeated... I was seriously bored. You've already seen this.

Last edited by Sculpt; 09-07-2021 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-06-2021, 01:02 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to bamahorrorfan87
Boo!
Old 09-07-2021, 04:13 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Always a good idea to watch the original first. You know... when circumstances are the same. Like, I wouldn't turn down an invitation to watch a remake with folks. Goes without typing.

Funny about smoking...

When I was in grammar school we were taught about oral cancer and lung cancer with all the disgusting pictures. That had an impact on me not to smoke.

But probably bigger impact was my folks didn't smoke. My grandpa pretty much chained smoked. That ashtray odor didn't smell good, but the house also always smelled like sautéed onions.

Also, as a young adult on, I bummed cigarettes all the time from my friends who smoked, especially when drinking. They wanted me to smoke with them. I never really got anything out of it besides the physical routine which satisfied my fidgeting habit. I never had the desire to go out and buy a pack. I guess I'm somehow immune to nicotine addiction, or whatever desired effect it's supposed to have. I don't know how rare that is.

I remember seeing pictures from the Red Cross when they visited my Second Grade class...quite an impact! EVERYONE smoked when I was little...it just seemed to be what "Older People" did.
At 13, was going to impress my Friend by smoking the Benson and Hedges Menthol I had hocked from her purse...after coughing and gagging for 20 minutes later, wondered why ANYONE would want to start.

You're quite lucky, Sculpt, that You have that immunity...from what I have heard, Tobacco is extremely difficult to cease and desist.
Old 09-07-2021, 10:43 AM
Guitarist Extraordinaire

We Need To Do Something (2021)

Nice idea with some possibilities, but it needed to actually do something.

5/10
Old 09-07-2021, 01:15 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
The first Ju-on (2000) is the best.
Ah, right 2000 is the first The Curse. Ju-on the Grudge is 2nd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
.. But it would still be years before that and that inside movie about cigarette companies before laws against smoking would start. Also preventing ads towards children...
Oh, that's right, The Insider (1999). Yes, that film blew my mind. Good film too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korovox View Post
We live in postmodern times. Going with the original movie first, is not a rule I like to consistently follow. I watched the Evil Dead remake first, and the original later; and this experience worked very well for me.
Anyways, it's interesting to hear your views. Yes, I am curious towards Ju-on!
You mean you saw Evil Dead 2 (1987) first, or Evil Dead (2013) first? Yeah, I saw ED2 first and the original later. Liked them both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
THE INVITATION (2015). This tale of a Dinner invitation/Reunion starts out pretty well; nothing really happens, but suspense begins to build. Sadly, towards the end, it's almost an Homage to BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS when things begin to get nasty. Add up to what I thought was a ridiculous ending, although my Wife figured it made sense. **1/2
I liked The Invitation, the whole sitting in a group, new folks awkwardly trying to join with the old group, the weirdness of some stranger being controlling of a longtime friend, and some peeps presenting their beliefs and experiences, and video of the dying woman was like 'whoh!', and then them trying to sell you on joining their cult... all that was really entertaining to me!

Quote:
... You're quite lucky, Sculpt, that You have that immunity...from what I have heard, Tobacco is extremely difficult to cease and desist.
You been a smoker, Frye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdealblues View Post
We Need To Do Something (2021)

Nice idea with some possibilities, but it needed to actually do something.

5/10
LOL

Old 09-07-2021, 06:47 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to bamahorrorfan87
The girl who got away
Old 09-08-2021, 07:09 AM
Guitarist Extraordinaire

Quote:
You're quite lucky, Sculpt, that You have that immunity...from what I have heard, Tobacco is extremely difficult to cease and desist.
Not to butt in (pun intended) or side track the thread, but I'll chime in that to me it's really a matter of will power and not any harder than deciding to cut out sugar or red meat or whatever out of your diet or cut loose a friend or an ex who isn't good for you to be around. Although, admittedly that is also something difficult for some people as well, but if you really want to quit and are ready to, you will. In the end it's a choice you make and you either choose to stick by it or you don't, kind of like being married and being faithful even though you can choose not to be at anytime.
Old 09-08-2021, 05:24 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Always a good idea to watch the original first. You know... when circumstances are the same. Like, I wouldn't turn down an invitation to watch a remake with folks. Goes without typing.

You know I haven't seen Candyman yet either. It's on my list. I'll have to watch it sooner than later. It's pretty unique.

Funny about smoking...

When I was in grammar school we were taught about oral cancer and lung cancer with all the disgusting pictures. That had an impact on me not to smoke.

But probably bigger impact was my folks didn't smoke. My grandpa pretty much chained smoked. That ashtray odor didn't smell good, but the house also always smelled like sautéed onions.

Also, as a young adult on, I bummed cigarettes all the time from my friends who smoked, especially when drinking. They wanted me to smoke with them. I never really got anything out of it besides the physical routine which satisfied my fidgeting habit. I never had the desire to go out and buy a pack. I guess I'm somehow immune to nicotine addiction, or whatever desired effect it's supposed to have. I don't know how rare that is.
Oh I've seen Candyman before. It was just so long ago that I can't remember it. So it will be like it's a new movie.

I find it funny that people said Trump's doctor was the real Candyman with the way he was passing out pills.

Quote:
I remember seeing pictures from the Red Cross when they visited my Second Grade class...quite an impact! EVERYONE smoked when I was little...it just seemed to be what "Older People" did.
At 13, was going to impress my Friend by smoking the Benson and Hedges Menthol I had hocked from her purse...after coughing and gagging for 20 minutes later, wondered why ANYONE would want to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdealblues View Post
Not to butt in (pun intended) or side track the thread, but I'll chime in that to me it's really a matter of will power and not any harder than deciding to cut out sugar or red meat or whatever out of your diet or cut loose a friend or an ex who isn't good for you to be around. Although, admittedly that is also something difficult for some people as well, but if you really want to quit and are ready to, you will. In the end it's a choice you make and you either choose to stick by it or you don't, kind of like being married and being faithful even though you can choose not to be at anytime.
On smoking, I had many chances to try just about every brand of US cigarette but never did. I was around second hand smoke and it makes me upset. But I was a kid and adults still weren't serious about second hand smoke back then. Also people smoked in clubs and restaurants like it was no big deal back then.

But like alcohol people have different tolerances. I wouldn't bet on trying cigarettes and not being addicted. Companies bet on getting teens to try and keep them as customers for life. So there is something extra that effects kids. Also there is or was the cool factor or opening up a pack and asking for a light. Or having something else in your hand besides a drink at a bar. Who knows why. Here is what wiki says on Nicotine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicoti...ment_disorders

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicoti...s_and_symptoms

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smokin...n#Side_effects

I can detect my mood change depending on lack of sleep or healthy food. I would hate dealing with nicotine. But I'm ok with dealing with alcohol and I've met people who can't stop drinking.

Right now is probably a terrible time to smoke with the virus. That's a pre-existing condition right there.

Last edited by ImmortalSlasher; 09-08-2021 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-10-2021, 12:56 AM
Scares Little Kids

Smile

Quote:
You mean you saw Evil Dead 2 (1987) first, or Evil Dead (2013) first? Yeah, I saw ED2 first and the original later. Liked them both.

I liked The Invitation, the whole sitting in a group, new folks awkwardly trying to join with the old group, the weirdness of some stranger being controlling of a longtime friend, and some peeps presenting their beliefs and experiences, and video of the dying woman was like 'whoh!', and then them trying to sell you on joining their cult... all that was really entertaining to me!
Oh yes ED2 is still to be discovered by me. I saw the 2013 movie first!

Well spoken, I completely agree w.r.t. The Invitation.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:57 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korovox View Post
Oh yes ED2 is still to be discovered by me. I saw the 2013 movie first!

Well spoken, I completely agree w.r.t. The Invitation.
You're in for a real treat with ED2! The first time I saw it blew my mind. Actually this year on HDC (horror.com) it was one vote away from being in the Final for Best Horror Film All-time. One of my all-time favs.

Tags
movie