Old 10-06-2007, 04:10 PM
Scares Little Kids

Reviews by Toddums

Thanks for __V__ for his great review thread. I thought I would help contribute to the site and do the same.

First up : The Last Man on Earth

Starring : Vincent Price

I recently bought this movie (it was included on a 4 disc classic horror set) to expand my collection of horror movies. I knew Vincent Price was great, and the premise of the movie looked interesting.

The first half of the movie was quite great, building a unique and gripping atmosphere in which the main character Dr.Robert Morgan is the last man alive on earth (duh), and it shows his daily struggles to survive and destroy the vampires. This was really well done, you really get a feel for Morgan and the world he now lives in as he does his daily "errands" like getting more garlic and mirrors, or hunting the vampires asleep in the day (very cool). Morgan even has a map of all the houses he has checked, he has a mission to destroy all the vampires in the city.

The middle of the movie isn't bad either, as more characters are introduced (many via flashbacks) and we get to see what became of the world. I must admit that the woman Morgan meets isn't too hard on the eyes either!

The ending was probably my least favorite part of the movie. Near the end you find out that the woman Morgan meets (Ruth) was actually sent by a secret society of infected humans (living only because they found a serum that keeps them from turning into vampires) to stall Morgan until they arrive and kill him. Im not going to go into details about the end, but I will mention that I did enjoy seeing Vince Price bust a cap some in foo's.

My Thoughts: Like I stated numerous times, the atmosphere was what really made me enjoy the movie. Vincent Price did a great job as well. I would have liked the movie to keep up with the survival theme, I would have loved it if Ruth and Vincent and the dog he meets continued to track down the vampires in the city. I mean, the dog was only in the film for a few minutes and then it died...what purpose did that serve? I just felt that none of the characters were built up enough besides the doc.

My main complaint is the vampires, which actually act more like zombies. They even speak and wield weapons at times which adds to my confusion. Its like they couldn't decide whether or not to make it a zombie movie or a vampire movie so they just combined them both into one creature.

Final Score: 7/10