Old 08-31-2007, 10:34 PM
AsteroidsDoNotConcernMe

THE BLOB analysis

THE BLOB
review by Crabapple

THE BLOB is a great horror movie, not merely because of the vividly horrific images of its nearly unstoppable, flesh-dissolving title character, but because it features a real societal message. It is, in many ways, a "feel-good horror film."

This is a pro-society movie, and its juvenile delinquent characters cause trouble mainly out of boredom, not out of some malevolent character flaw. Steve McQueen's drag-racing rival almost appears to be an enemy early on in the proceedings, but quickly joins in McQueen's campaign to save the town from the oozing invader once he sees McQueen's seriousness. In this way, a character situation that at first appears to be cartoonish suddenly develops depth and human realism.

The authorities' initial skepticism of the kids' wild claims is proven wrong--and once the threat is acknowledged by all, all conflict within the society disappears. This unification of purpose, and the validation of the "troublemaking" teens, becomes official when Aneta Corsaut's father breaks into the school to obtain the fire extinguishers needed to freeze the Blob. On any other day, breaking into the school would be considered an act of vandalism typical of a juvenile delinquent--on this particular day, it is a necessary action performed by an adult authority figure. There are no lines of division between the young and the old.

This is an unusual film in that it acknowledges the perception of a "generation gap" but suggests that it is more imaginary than real, and that given a real crisis, people will naturally band together to restore order. "The Blob" is a perfect tonic for the kind of depression that generally comes with a viewing of "Night of the Living Dead" (1968).

Much has been made of the film's cheap but innovative (and effective!) visual effects. They are undeniably clever. A lot of the gravity-defying tricks we see the Blob perform were achieved with miniature sets designed to be rotated. The camera was typically attached to the sets in a very firmly "locked down" position (the lights had to be similarly attached so that the lighting remained steady as the room was turned this way and that). These scenes were often photographed one frame at a time as the room was slowly turned--the silicone blob oozed very slowly and its action needed to be sped up. In a way, this was similar to stop motion photography, but utilizing a blob of silicone rather than an articulated puppet. Even today, the effects are startling and bizarre.

Friend....gooooood!

Old 09-01-2007, 05:15 AM
Banned

Nice review crabby....you should do more.

I haven't seen this one in many,many,many...........many moons. Wasn't to jazzed about the 1988 remake.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:52 AM
The Countess

Send a message via Yahoo to Marya Zaleska
Crabapple

You did a very good review. I liked it very much.

I was a teenager when this movie came out and remember seeing it at the neighborhood theatre with my friends.

It's available on DVD and I have it. I think I will watch this tonight after dinner .

The Countess

The Countess
Old 09-01-2007, 06:47 AM
Tenant

Nice blurb, Crabs. Very nice indeed.
I love The Blob. You are right- it is, in a way, a feel good horror movie. It's nostalgic images and dialogue, along with it's fresh technicolor, is like nothing else.

My favorite part? The opening credits.

You've inspired me to pop this one in again real soon.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:58 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
The song is awesome.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Faustus View Post
The song is awesome.
Then I shall sing it

Beware of The Blob, it creeps
And leaps and glides and slides
Across the floor
Right through the door
And all around the wall
A splotch, a blotch
Be careful of The Blob
Old 05-17-2008, 11:43 PM
AsteroidsDoNotConcernMe

Watching this puppy right now!

Friend....gooooood!

Old 05-18-2008, 12:11 AM
Evil Dead

I saw this on the box only 3 weeks ago.

McQueen is indeed very serious and i love the way the cops call him a kid,never thought of McQueen as a kid.:D

Great little movie though and a lot of fun.

Last edited by Anthropophagus; 05-18-2008 at 06:52 AM.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:40 AM
Synthetic Flesh

I liked your review Crabby.

The Blob has always had a "feel-good" aura about it for me. I thought that might be due to the nostalgia this particular film has for me; but I think you are right. Characters are generally portrayed in a very positive light, and it is an optimistic movie in its view of society.

All this talk of The Blob makes me want to watch it again. Perhaps tonight. :)
Old 05-18-2008, 06:07 AM
Cranky

And there was a motorcycle! That spelled hooligan back in those days.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff