Old 01-05-2017, 09:00 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
All Good Things (2010)

Meh, it was alright. Dramatised take on Robert Durst / the disappearance of his wife. Not a bad film in its own right, but having just binged through The Jinx (excellent documentary series on the same subject matter, by the same filmmakers) this was definitely a let down.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:17 AM
Evil Dead

Old 01-06-2017, 01:08 PM
Evil Dead

I am Not a Serial Killer - the book was better, the movie is about a 6-7/10
Old 01-06-2017, 08:54 PM
HDC's werewolf enthusiast

Ginger Snaps

I watched this once in my teen years... I can't remember how early, possibly mid-teens, long enough ago I don't remember it too well. I do remember it was really intense. I didn't remember that part incorrectly. When you open up with a toddler playing in a sandbox with mutilated dog parts, it's safe to say the movie doesn't worry about holding back.

Viewing this again as an adult, it still makes me squirm a bit. The relationship between the sisters alone is uncomfortable before Ginger gets bit. But the little things through the movie such as Ginger's physical changes without the moon (like growing a fucking tail) were just so awesome, it beautifully builds up for the ending when we get to see the movie's fully changed werewolf. And itsssss... a'ight. I mean it's not one of the more memorable such as American Werewolf in London, but like the rest of the movie it pushes the limit.

Effects, filming, characters, story, it all builds up beautifully. I didn't understand the first time I watched it why it's a cult classic, but it's easy to say I do now.

Supposed to be happy, but I'm only getting colder. Wear a smile on my face, but there's a demon inside.
Free to use signature images and avatars!
Old 01-06-2017, 09:09 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roiffalo View Post
Ginger Snaps

I watched this once in my teen years... I can't remember how early, possibly mid-teens, long enough ago I don't remember it too well. I do remember it was really intense. I didn't remember that part incorrectly. When you open up with a toddler playing in a sandbox with mutilated dog parts, it's safe to say the movie doesn't worry about holding back.

Viewing this again as an adult, it still makes me squirm a bit. The relationship between the sisters alone is uncomfortable before Ginger gets bit. But the little things through the movie such as Ginger's physical changes without the moon (like growing a fucking tail) were just so awesome, it beautifully builds up for the ending when we get to see the movie's fully changed werewolf. And itsssss... a'ight. I mean it's not one of the more memorable such as American Werewolf in London, but like the rest of the movie it pushes the limit.

Effects, filming, characters, story, it all builds up beautifully. I didn't understand the first time I watched it why it's a cult classic, but it's easy to say I do now.
I remember confirming with Hammerfan what I thought the basic symbolism, or analogy, of the film was.

Roiffalo, what did you think the film was comparing with becoming a werewolf? In other words, what was the basic analogy?

Old 01-06-2017, 09:56 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
omg! The Return of The_Return!! How are you doing, man? Great to see you back. Hope everything's going great for you.

Haven't seen this yet and yeah...it didn't get much attention so far from the genre fans but after HDC's multiple recommendations definitely looking forward to check this out. Btw, have you seen Autopsy of Jane Doe? One of the year's best, IMO!
Hey Roshiq! Glad to see you're still hanging around here. All's well on my end, hope it's the same for you!

Just got home from a screening of The Autopsy of Jane Doe - great stuff, no doubt. Went in totally blind, aside from seeing it pop up on a bunch of "best of 2016" lists, which was the right choice. Deserves the praise it's been getting. I had some little nitpicks, but overall I thought it was really well done.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:28 AM
Evil Dead

The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016)
I.M.D.B.
A father and son, both coroners, are pulled into a complex mystery while attempting to identify the body of a young woman, who was apparently harboring dark secrets.

An interesting concept that's fairly well done, but with some stereotypical 'scare' tropes needlessly mixed in. The presence of Brian Cox adds gravitas and almost disguises the fact it needed a more intelligent script. Worth a watch for the concept, just a shame more wasn't done with it, as it ultimately felt shallow.
7.5/10
Old 01-07-2017, 04:44 AM
Evil Dead

Old 01-07-2017, 04:52 AM
Evil Sweat

Fear of a Black Hat (1993)
C
Decent mockumentary about NWH (Niggaz With Hatz).
Some good jokes here and there but overal CB4 does it better.

Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising (2016)
B/C
Rather weak sequel. Has its moments but I expected more from this.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:50 AM
Evil Dead

Tags
movie