Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies

Old 12-10-2020, 03:06 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmer View Post
As a child in the mid-80s, I watched the first episode of a two-part film, the name of which I do not remember. The film began with a woman walking slowly down the street and the camera showing her from the back, and sometimes with her eyes, as if the camera was attached to her head. The action took place in a Gothic style village. The woman walked slowly towards the bazaar. When the woman got to the stalls, the camera showed her hands and nails - it was a terrible sight. But then it was even worse - the camera turned to her face. It was hell of a hell. I have not seen such a scary face in the aftermath of any horror movie. I remember how I pressed myself into the sofa and could not move from the terror that fettered me. Now I understand why the director did not show the old woman's face for a long time, filming her from behind, this was specially conceived to enhance the effect. The old woman is a monster. Later, when the camera showed the old woman's face in close-up, I immediately closed my eyes.
Sounds like if you bumped into Joseph Merrick, your reaction would make him feel very sad.

Old 12-10-2020, 03:18 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. macabre View Post
Hereditary and the Witch are both excellent movies. The only movie that "affected" me was the Exorcist, but that was 30 years ago. Now, I can watch just about any thing and still sleep well.
Exorcist-wise... that's pretty much my story. Although there were certainly some other films that affected me, just not as much as Exorcist... thinking about Jaws (although I was criminally young when I saw it), Amelia/Trilogy Of Terror, Amityville Horror, Psycho, TCSM, Carrie 76 and The Howling. Actually, if Exorcist affected you, you might get some traction from these more modern films: Dead Silence, The Conjuring, Vacancy, Sinister.

Last edited by Sculpt; 12-10-2020 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-10-2020, 06:12 PM
I kick ass for the lord!

argento and fulci know how to make you feel uncomfortable, which is something that happens when you are scared...
Old 12-12-2020, 05:52 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaeKwonZombie View Post
for me it's all about mood, there are certain movies that scared me at the time, but now don't at all, I saw Devil back in this old 100 year old house i used to live in, and for some reason that movie got to me, but when i watch it nowadays in my new home....not as scary for some reason...these days very little scares me movie wise, sometimes movies will make me feel uncomfortable like italian giallo's can sometimes, which is a good thing in horror, or fulci's movies, but its usually upon first watch. Are we desensitized?
Yeah, it's very unlikely a film will be scary to someone on the second viewing, especially people who've seen a lot of horror films.

And yeah, feeling the horror has a lot to do with mood -- that is set and setting. Late night in the dark, without interruptions tends to be a good place to start.

I there's a lot of folks that are desensitized, probably more to violence than real horror. Or ironically, some watch too much cinema that they've lost some ability to really get completely absorbed into a film... the constant cinematic stimuli is just all too familiar, like a shower that never stops, like white noise, to really empathize with the characters, to feel like your actually there, anymore.

As far as gaillo and Fulci films, I think part of their effectiveness is they are unusual to 'english speaking' viewers. Fulci's The Beyond and Zombi 2 had a feel to them. I didn't personally find them scary, but decently horrific. I think Bava's Black Sabbath's third segment "The Drop of Water" was effectively scary.

Last edited by Sculpt; 06-30-2021 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-13-2020, 04:00 PM
I kick ass for the lord!

great points/observations made sculpt, and that segment from black sabbath was definitely effective!

sometimes scary is also how something looks as a definition and not necessarily what scares you personally, like a zombie looks scary, and if you think of it in real life its even scarier, but maybe the movie doesn't scare you...it really is about how absorbed into the film you become. Or if the subject matter hits in a way where there's something in your life that traumatized you, or scared you...maybe there's some good "psychology of horror movies" videos out there?
Old 12-14-2020, 06:22 AM
Roger Wilco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Sounds like if you bumped into Joseph Merrick, your reaction would make him feel very sad.
No, it was not the face of a sick person. The face was not ugly. It was the usual face of an old witch, shown at close range. It looked damn frightening, especially the evil eyes.
Old 12-14-2020, 07:29 AM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmer View Post
No, it was not the face of a sick person. The face was not ugly. It was the usual face of an old witch, shown at close range. It looked damn frightening, especially the evil eyes.
Let me know when you find that movie. I wanna see it.
Old 01-13-2021, 03:25 PM
Scares Little Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidengr03 View Post
Honestly not alot of movies scare me i think the one that made me feel the most uncomfortable was the blair witch from 99 and it wasnt even the witch or supernatural element of it it was honestly just the aspect of them being stuck in woods while running out of food with no one knowing. Also the found footage aspect of it is creepy and makes it feel more realistic.
I'm with you on The Blair Witch Project! I think a lot of the people who complained about it were looking for gore, but it's not that type of film. Just the three of them, being terrorized by an unseen presence they're defenceless against. That plus the growing animosity between the characters, when they are supposed to be relying on each other to make it out of there. And they kept the mystery of the witch by not revealing much of her history. I consider it one of my favourites. Unsettling, but to me not really one of the scariest.

I'd say The Ring, Insidious, The Thing (both original and remake), Sinister, Alien, and Us. There's so many great ones to pick from!

Last edited by bogwitch; 01-21-2021 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-23-2021, 02:09 PM
Living Dead

mr. macabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Exorcist-wise... that's pretty much my story. Although there were certainly some other films that affected me, just not as much as Exorcist... thinking about Jaws (although I was criminally young when I saw it), Amelia/Trilogy Of Terror, Amityville Horror, Psycho, TCSM, Carrie 76 and The Howling. Actually, if Exorcist affected you, you might get some traction from these more modern films: Dead Silence, The Conjuring, Vacancy, Sinister.
I've seen all of those except for Vacancy. I really liked The Conjuring.
Old 06-09-2021, 04:49 AM
パーカー アミン

Friday the 13th is a very scary movie to me

#パーカーアミン
#AminParker