Old 05-23-2018, 07:42 PM
ventricle

Royal Wedding, Institution of Evil. Britons?

So I was listening to Democracy Now and other sources... interesting bits:

This "Royal" wedding cost about $45 million dollars (38mil Euros). (https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebr...-wedding-cost/)

About $40 million is on the public bill.

The wedding route was cleared of the homeless Britons.

While "Queen" Elizabeth Mary, while wearing a $1 million dollar/Euro hat, in regards to austerity (cutting funds working poor), directed Briton to "live within its means!". (https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...b03f08843ddc40)

She voiced her support for the government decreasing pay and increasing hours for junior doctors, then returned to her Billion dollar house while her hat returned home in it's own carriage. Literally.

The United Kingdom's "constitution" gives the Queen (monarch) VETO power over the decision's of Parliament. Briton and democracy?

To Britons: How many petitions have you signed to end this institution of evil? Sure, I'm in America... but as Dr Martin Luther King Jr said, “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.”

It's not like Britain is a tiny island in the Pacific. We need Briton to help make the world a better place. But Monarchy/Aristocracy is inequality before the law. It's injustice. It's an institution of evil. When you folks going to end it?

Thoughts? Britons or anyone?

Last edited by Sculpt; 05-24-2018 at 07:11 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:56 PM
Evil Dead

I'm English, although I now live in New Zealand, which unfortunately still has (the English) royal family.

For me the whole wedding felt medieval. Having a royal family is so archaic and a complete waste of funds. I've never understood the point in celebrating their most ostentatious display of privilege by birth right.

The most common argument in England for it to remain is..."If we get rid of the royal family, the tourism industry would take a massive hit."

I say try it and see. I'm sure it would survive.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:11 AM
This is a test

Archaic, expensive..maybe...but the british people appear to love them. It unites them?
Old 05-24-2018, 04:55 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeg Head1 View Post
I'm English, although I now live in New Zealand, which unfortunately still has (the English) royal family.

For me the whole wedding felt medieval. Having a royal family is so archaic and a complete waste of funds. I've never understood the point in celebrating their most ostentatious display of privilege by birth right.

The most common argument in England for it to remain is..."If we get rid of the royal family, the tourism industry would take a massive hit."

I say try it and see. I'm sure it would survive.
Tourism-wise, it's not like a tourist gets to join the Queen for her morning muffin and have a convo with her. On the contrary, tourist can't go wherever the "royal" family currently are. People visit the pyramids just fine without having a current Pharaoh occupying the rooms.

If tourism more than covers the expense of the palace, then you might keep it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloof View Post
Archaic, expensive..maybe...but the british people appear to love them. It unites them?
I love Ms Mary too. Doesn't mean anyone wants to continue a birthright monarchy, specially allowing the monarch to have veto power over Parliament. But I know what you're saying, it's up to the Britons, but what they choose effects us all.

Regarding unity, I'm all for it. Obviously people of other countries, and many other types of groups, that don't have a problem unifying without a monarch. That is to say, people unifying is a people problem, but a monarchy is no silver bullet. I don't see the appeal of being born a subject to some family. In America, before the Emancipation Proclamation you could be born a subject of a ruling family on a plantation, you know, their "realm". I don't see the appeal.

Last edited by Sculpt; 05-24-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:48 PM
Evil Dead

(My post has disappeared for some reason. Conspiracy!)

Royal families do tend to incite patriotism and unification (like most tragedies :P). I wonder how much of that is indoctrination.

Unfortunately there isn't a high demand to be rid of them. On a 2015 poll, 425,018 voted for Yes to abolishing the monarchy, 2,127,939 voted No.

Yes 17%
No 83%

This wedding and it's costs has re-sparked the debate though, and may swing a few votes. Some call for a referendum upon the Queen's death. But there's so much patriotism surrounding them that I can't see it happening. Briton's aren't exactly known for their informed opinion on matters (..cough..brexit...cough..)

I also don't see the appeal of actually being in the royal family. A strange life to be forced into.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:30 AM
This is a test

I would think that "Royals" having been brought up as such, would know no different. But to knowingly marry into that lifestyle? Oh well, " the heart wants what it wants" (Selena Gomez).
Old 06-16-2018, 11:25 AM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

I'm just a Yank who doesn't keep up with things like Britian's Royal Family, but from what I've heard they're basically like our Hollywood Celebrities here in the U.S.A. aren't they? They have more money and privilege than anyone deserves and the world loves them and loves to hate them.

The only real difference to me is that they don't come out with movies to entertain people. But I dunno, I ain't British and I don't keep up with the news so I don't know anything about them.