Old 10-17-2005, 06:21 AM
Foxhole Atheist

Re: Re: Horror Script

Quote:
Originally posted by meetthecreeper
They all ran into a ghost???? Then they should be discussing the current situation right now, not the next day.
In a ten minute film i think it should all take place within a relativly small space of time. Straight down the bar, are overheard by some old timer who knows the background story and straight back to the ghost for the final showdown. For a bit of originality i would be tempted to have the ghost come out on top of any confrontation.

Battle Royalty, 2009
@Wolf_Scousemac
Old 10-17-2005, 07:34 AM
Evil Dead

Personally, I would send them in different directions after the encounter. They get outside, "What the Hell was that?" The alcoholic in the group needs a drink and goes to the nearest bar where an old drunk explains the mystery. The group intellectual searches the library database and the remaining students return to the dorms for the only things college students do more of than drinking. Those people die and it's left to the smart guy and the drunk to save the school. A lot for ten minutes, but it could make a cool montage if you intercut to what they are all doing while the old drunk tells his story.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:10 AM
Undead

Well I mostly do have the story done, I have one character telling the tale at the beginning, they all think it's BS. Then a new guy moves to the college and startd hanging round with a girl that one of the characters like so they decided to all go to the college to see the ghost thinking it's not really, but it turns out it is and then they slowly die off one by one and for final originality I was planning on killing all of the group members. :D
Old 10-17-2005, 11:43 AM
Saint of Killers

Quote:
Originally posted by Y2DAZZ
Well I mostly do have the story done, I have one character telling the tale at the beginning, they all think it's BS. Then a new guy moves to the college and startd hanging round with a girl that one of the characters like so they decided to all go to the college to see the ghost thinking it's not really, but it turns out it is and then they slowly die off one by one and for final originality I was planning on killing all of the group members. :D
Youre going to jam all this in 10mins of film?? Thats going to be tough.

And who says horror doesnt have to be funny. Target practice in "Dawn of the Dead" remake wasnt funny??

Some of the lines in "Dracula" by ANthony Hopkins wasnt funny???

Come on guys sick humor is the best humor.

3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead.

I've never been nice my whole life....but, I'll do my best to be sweet.

I keep my standards low, so I'm never disappointed.

The next words out of your mouth better be some Mark Twain shit, cos' I am going to be chiseling it on your tombstone.

Trample the weak, Hurdle the dead.

Forgive your enemies......after they are slain.

The God I believe in aint short of cash mister.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:21 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Horror Script

Quote:
Originally posted by meetthecreeper
It shouldnt??? Why not??

I always find a film to be more enjoyable with a hint of dark humor.
i guess it is a matter of taste...i just dont think humor is the best way to scare people...and it is very difficult to be funny...atleast if I gonna laught....;)
Old 10-18-2005, 11:33 AM
Saint of Killers

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Horror Script

Quote:
Originally posted by slasherman
i guess it is a matter of taste...i just dont think humor is the best way to scare people...and it is very difficult to be funny...atleast if I gonna laught....;)
Agreed, but I think that is why people want to be scared. Its fun.

Being scared and being amused are 2 basic human emotions.

3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead.

I've never been nice my whole life....but, I'll do my best to be sweet.

I keep my standards low, so I'm never disappointed.

The next words out of your mouth better be some Mark Twain shit, cos' I am going to be chiseling it on your tombstone.

Trample the weak, Hurdle the dead.

Forgive your enemies......after they are slain.

The God I believe in aint short of cash mister.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:16 PM
Can you dig it ?

Quote:
i guess it is a matter of taste...i just dont think humor is the best way to scare people...and it is very difficult to be funny...atleast if I gonna laught....
If there's no element of relating to characters on screen, audiences don't identify with them - meaning it's less likely to scare an audience if they're not rooting for someone to get away from whatever menace. 'Nightmare on Elm St' is a perfect example. The first film was scary as hell. All the subsequents weren't. Why ? Too much focus on Freddy cracking lame one liners while cardboard cut-out teenagers fill up the body count quota. Sure it's easier to have some masked maniac chasing people around with a machete and hope that's considered scary enough, but I'd definitely prefer more character to the intended victims if I know I want people to be scared for them. Add some dialogue. Make some jokes. Make a viewer relate. Then scare the hell out of them :D
CK
Old 10-19-2005, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MisterSadistro
'Nightmare on Elm St' is a perfect example. The first film was scary as hell. All the subsequents weren't. Why ? Too much focus on Freddy cracking lame one liners while cardboard cut-out teenagers fill up the body count quota. Sure it's easier to have some masked maniac chasing people around with a machete and hope that's considered scary enough, but I'd definitely prefer more character to the intended victims if I know I want people to be scared for them. Add some dialogue. Make some jokes. Make a viewer relate. Then scare the hell out of them :D
CK
I didnt like what Freddy become...his one liners wasnt funny...thats correct...

..its a real danger for a movie to become "Independence Day" (1996) or "Armageddon" (1998) if you try to put all the genres in one movie( a lovestory, action sekvense, little comedy, some tragedy and a happy ending)........
its more interesting to focus on characteres that not are funny ....and not have a lovestory going on ....maybe he/her have some mental problems or something...and its nearly almost TO MUCH dialogue in movies (in genral)...people dont talk all the time...but on screen they do......why dont directors dare to have less dialogue and more style ?
Old 10-20-2005, 11:52 AM
Can you dig it ?

That's the Hollywood mentality- try to cover all the bases and hope it makes millions. I try to make my characters interesting enough to be human and not fodder for the body count. The smaller the cast, the more details are helpful. It can explain their actions and reactions as well to an audience. For example, a short I'm doing in the next few weeks (no title included due to my anti-spamming belief) has our heroine-in-peril at the front door to escape. She knows that someone or something is in the apartment and it just killed her best friend in the next room, yet she stops and goes back in after it. Why ? Most viewers would start yelling at the screen to get out at that point. I think they won't since I've made it clear she would go after whatever did this to her friend. People can relate to her. If something that horrible happened to a loved one and the culprit was still in the place at that moment, that need is there. I think people will be reminded when seeing it.
CK
Old 10-27-2005, 07:48 PM
Evil Dead

Maybe you should consider keeping your characters inside the college with the ghost. Maybe your ghost doesn't want them to leave at all. Maybe it needs them for something. Maybe it wants to take over their bodies. Maybe it wants to maim. Whatever the reason, it would be better to keep them there than have your audience wonder why in the hell your characters would want to go back in there. You would, however, have to think about how the ghost is keeping them from getting away. I guess you could say that the ghost takes over their bodies and lures other people to the college. Oh, you would probably have to kill off a character. Obviously it wouldn't be able to be in two or more bodies at once. The ghost wouldn't be able to leave the college, though. Other people would be looking for the missing characters. With each death that the ghost brings upon them it gets stronger. Finally it gets strong enough to leave the college and wreaks havoc on the rest of the town.

How was that?