Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > True Crime
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-28-2006, 06:22 AM
Umbra Asylum

Send a message via Yahoo to bloodrayne
Bubonic Plague In California

First Los Angeles Case Of Bubonic Plague Reported Since 1984

Los Angeles, California -- A woman from the Country Club Park area contracted a case of bubonic plague, the first human case in Los Angeles County since 1984, county health officials said Tuesday.

The woman, who has not been identified, came down with symptoms last week and remains hospitalized.

Health officials said they believe the woman was exposed to fleas in the area around her house, although an investigation is continuing.

Public health workers set out traps Tuesday to catch squirrels and other wild animals in the area near her home. County Public Health Laboratory workers will test blood from those animals to determine if there has been any exposure to the plague bacteria.

"Bubonic plague is not usually transmissible from person to person," said Dr. Jonathan Fielding, head of public health. "Fortunately, human plague infection is rare in urban environments, and this single case should not be a cause for alarm in the area where this occurred."

Bubonic plague is found in ground squirrels around Tehachapi, Lake Isabella, Frazier Park and in the Angeles National Forest between Los Angeles and the Antelope Valley.

Plague is common among wild animals in certain areas but is seldom spread to humans, according to health officials.

"Plague is characterized by fever, muscle aches, nausea, headache, sore throat, fatigue and swollen, tender lymph nodes associated with the arm or leg that has flea bites and is treatable with antibiotics," said Dr. Rosham Reporter of the Acute Communicable Disease Control Program.

"The disease often causes illness serious enough to warrant hospitalization, but if treated is rarely fatal," Reporter said.

Residents are urged to trim ivy, ground cover and other heavy vegetation that can harbor rats and provide cover for squirrels.

"Outside openings to attics, crawl spaces and similar locations should be sealed off so rats and squirrels can't get into houses, garages or other structures," said Frank Hall, chief of the Los Angeles County Vector Management Program.

"Pet owners should make an extra effort to keep their domestic animals free of fleas and avoid leaving out pet food where it can attract wild animals," he said.

My Karma ran over my Dogma

God WAS my co-pilot...But, we crashed in the mountains and...I had to eat him

I'm suffocating in what's become of me...
The rancid remains of what I used to be
Old 04-28-2006, 04:55 PM
The horror of the minds

That frist time I have ever heard of human getting the diease since the black pl,auge thingyt.
Fear is in the mind of the beholder. If that mind is strong engough fear can be defated. If the minds is weak, and the fear is storng, the fear will control the life. THe fear couldn't be defeated the life would be controled by it forevere.