Old 07-21-2018, 04:22 PM
ventricle

The Raven (1935)
6/10

A wealthy man convinces Dr. Vollin (Bela Lugosi), an arrogant and unstable surgeon, to save the life of his injured daughter Jean (Irene Ware). Though Jean is engaged to be married, the young woman's innocent awe and gratitude towards the life-saving surgeon, also stirs-up the doctor's torturous obsession in Jean. Unfortunately for everyone, Dr. Vollin also has a mad obsession with the torture devices he reads in Edgar Allen Poe literature.

It's a real treat to see Bela Lugosi have this much uninterrupted screen time. He plays an arrogant mad surgeon quite well. Unfortunately, besides some potent, though rather obvious, visual symbolism, such as a stuffed raven casting shadows on the wall, the story and dialogue is quite simple-minded, sluggish and ridiculous. The script seems better suited to a tongue-in-cheek stage play.

Dr. Vollin coerces a reluctant violent fugitive, Bateman (Boris Karloff), to assist him in his unhinged immoral intentions. Here Karloff's character is remarkably similar to his famous film role as the Frankenstein's monster. It's not surprising many story and character elements of the Raven seem all to reminiscent to the Dracula and Frankenstein films of 1931, with a peppering of some Flash Gordon comic-strip and film serial devices and suspense, such as levers, mechanical sliding doors and floors, and the perils of "trash-compacting" walled rooms. Perhaps not so coincidentally, Universal Studios would release the Flash Gordon film serial the following year (1936).

For those who really love the style of the 1930's horror films, the Raven provides a well paced and competent production. Just don't expect much intellectual or emotional stimulation.

(And as an extra reading treat, here's a 2005 Horror.com review of the film, written by stacilayne (Staci Layne Wilson). You may prefer to read it after you see the film if you'd rather be surprised by the unfolding of the film's story, as the review has many story details. http://www.horror.com/php/article-926-1.html)

Last edited by Sculpt; 07-21-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:36 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
The Raven (1935)
6/10

A wealthy man convinces Dr. Vollin (Bela Lugosi), an arrogant and unstable surgeon, to save the life of his injured daughter Jean (Irene Ware). Though Jean is engaged to be married, the young woman's innocent awe and gratitude towards the life-saving surgeon, also stirs-up the doctor's torturous obsession in Jean. Unfortunately for everyone, Dr. Vollin also has a mad obsession with the torture devices he reads in Edgar Allen Poe literature.

It's a real treat to see Bela Lugosi have this much uninterrupted screen time. He plays an arrogant mad surgeon quite well. Unfortunately, besides some potent, though rather obvious, visual symbolism, such as a stuffed raven casting shadows on the wall, the story and dialogue is quite simple-minded, sluggish and ridiculous. The script seems better suited to a tongue-in-cheek stage play.

Dr. Vollin coerces a reluctant violent fugitive, Bateman (Boris Karloff), to assist him in his unhinged immoral intentions. Here Karloff's character is remarkably similar to his famous film role as the Frankenstein's monster. It's not surprising many story and character elements of the Raven seem all to reminiscent to the Dracula and Frankenstein films of 1931, with a peppering of some Flash Gordon comic-strip and film serial devices and suspense, such as levers, mechanical sliding doors and floors, and the perils of "trash-compacting" walled rooms. Perhaps not so coincidentally, Universal Studios would release the Flash Gordon film serial the following year (1936).

For those who really love the style of the 1930's horror films, the Raven provides a well paced and competent production. Just don't expect much intellectual or emotional stimulation.

(And as an extra reading treat, here's a 2005 Horror.com review of the film, written by stacilayne (Staci Layne Wilson). You may prefer to read it after you see the film if you'd rather be surprised by the unfolding of the film's story, as the review has many story
details. http://www.horror.com/php/article-926-1.html)
Bela really does go over the top in that one

THE JUNGLE BOOK (1967). Last Disney film made in Walt's lifetime has the usual awesome animation and songs. However, quite a lot of filler (especially the. marching Elephants and the Beatle-esque Vultures) and Mowgli is really a snotty little kid who wears thin quick. Louis Prima, Sebastian Cabbott and Phil Harris are good, but George Sanders as Shere Khan all but steals the show from everyone and is well worth the price of admission. ***
Old 07-25-2018, 12:46 AM
Evil Dead

THE VAMPIRE AND THE BALLERINA (1960). Liked this better than I thought I would. A real beautiful print (Italian with subs), lots of honeys, plenty of atmosphere and I love the Vampire's method of keeping the neighborhood his own! Hero in here is, as usual, pretty ineffectual as well as unfaithful. ***
Old 07-28-2018, 12:06 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
THE VAMPIRE AND THE BALLERINA (1960). Liked this better than I thought I would. A real beautiful print (Italian with subs), lots of honeys, plenty of atmosphere and I love the Vampire's method of keeping the neighborhood his own! Hero in here is, as usual, pretty ineffectual as well as unfaithful. ***
Is there some vampire dancing? A prelude to Flashdance?

Old 07-28-2018, 01:31 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Is there some vampire dancing? A prelude to Flashdance?
Kinda sorta Sculpt-looked more to me like pre-Breakdancing! Also, these Italian girl have got mousy Jennifer Beals BEAT! Plus, no horrid theme song either!
Old 07-29-2018, 01:48 AM
病気の

Twisted Nerve, 1968. 10/10

Old 07-29-2018, 02:30 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
Kinda sorta Sculpt-looked more to me like pre-Breakdancing! Also, these Italian girl have got mousy Jennifer Beals BEAT! Plus, no horrid theme song either!
Vampire Ballerinas need a horroriff-kick theme song. But can we really say What a Feeling was horrid?

Old 07-31-2018, 12:21 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Vampire Ballerinas need a horroriff-kick theme song. But can we really say What a Feeling was horrid?
It was a big hit (#1) and many people love it, but just had me looking for the exit...quickly!

THE PLAYGIRLS AND THE VAMPIRE (1960). After THE VAMPIRE AND THE BALLERINA, was in the mood for more of the same, but got less with this. The "Playgirls" are more like uninspiring strippers who have to stay in a castle and promptly do every stupid thing You could think of. Bad "comic" relief also, but probably the first nude vampire on the screen (Europeans more relaxed about that) as well as sheer short nighties! If You want to check this out, go ahead, but once will probably be more than enough. **
Old 08-01-2018, 07:56 PM
ventricle

The Public Enemy (1931)
8/10

I wish I had seen this before seeing Scarface (1983) and other films... cause there's been so many copies of so many of Public Enemy's scenes. It's a great looking and pulsing paced film. James Cagney (as Jim Powers) packs an emotional punch throughout the entire film. It's a morality play, as most films are, and although this was written just a bit more simplex, obvious and slightly preachy than I would have liked, it still doesn't shy away from some harsh grittiness, including the famous scene where Powers smashes a grapefruit into his girlfriend's face. The film still stays pretty lively, basically because of Cagney visceral inner tightness and energy, the quick story pace, and the shot direction.

Cagney was a fine actor who played the gangster parts so well that he got type-cast as a gangster for awhile. But he was also so good that he was able to battle the powerful studio system to adjust his contracts, do other roles, and also started his own studio for a spell. As an actor and performer, he was also a dancer, singer and comedian. Even though he did make a huge mark in his role in Yankee Doodle Dandy, in perpetuity his gangster persona still dominates public perception.

Last edited by Sculpt; 08-05-2018 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:57 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
The Public Enemy (1931)
8/10

I wish I had seen this before seeing Scarface (1983) and other films... cause there's been so many copies of so many of Public Enemy's scenes. It's a great looking and pulsing paced film. James Cagney (as Jim Powers) packs an emotional punch throughout the entire film. It's a morality play, as most films are, and although this is written just a bit more simplex, obvious and slightly preachy than I would have liked, it still doesn't shy away from some harsh grittiness, including the famous scene where Powers smashes a grapefruit into his girlfriend's face. The film still stays pretty lively, basically because of Cagney visceral inner tightness and energy, the quick story pace, and the shot direction.

Cagney was a fine actor who played the gangster parts so well that he got type-cast as a gangster for awhile. But he was also so good that he was able to battle the powerful studio system to adjust his contracts, do other roles, and also started his own studio for a spell. As an actor and performer, he was also a dancer, singer and comedian. Even though he did make a huge mark in his role in Yankee Doodle Dandy, in perpetuity his gangster persona still dominates public perception.
Indeed, this is an important well made classic, Sculpt! JC is just an unstoppable force of nature and many scenes still impress. 1931 was a sucky year for Mae Clarke...Grapefruit in the puss by Cagney (believe it was spontaneous which accounts for her believable reaction) and stalked by Boris Karloff in FRANKENSTEIN.

FASTER, PUSSYCAT! KILL! KILL! (1966). Outrageously audacious Russ Meyer film is as much fun as I heard it was...jaw dropping throughout. Three extremely zaftig (it is a Russ Meyer film, after all) psychotic Go-Go girls spend their free time Desert drag racing, fighting, murder, kidnapping and attempted robbery.Tura Satana is GREAT as Varla, the leader of the gang. Susan Bernard (the Kidnappee) later went on to be Miss December 1966 for PLAYBOY, married Jason Miller (Father Karras in THE EXORCIST) and gave birth to Josh Miller, the creepy little kid in RIVER'S EDGE and NEAR DARK. In addition, many samples from this on White Zombie's EL SEXORCISTO: DEVIL MUSIC VOL 1. Essential viewing. *****