Old 02-05-2014, 09:11 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsaw Killer View Post
Thanks for the info. I see Pazuzu was used as the demon in the Exorcist.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:08 PM
Evil Dead

Yes, but not shown in his demon form sans the statue.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:13 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Yes, but not shown in his demon form sans the statue.
Actually, I always wondered what that statue was. I was a child when I saw the film on TV. I figured it was the demon, but thought it was merely a creepy shot. When I saw as an adult, I took a mental note to find out if that was an actual idol/demon, but hadn't thought about it till now.

The use of the idol find is an interesting story devise. The priest and demon meet again, so to speak. The film shows Merrin and a larger image of the demon idol, and then shows the dogs fighting. That was meant to indicate Merrin and the demon would fight. But to many that indicated the demon was somehow released by the find. The film doesn't reveal this, but in the wider novels/films, Merrin exercised Pazuzu years early, and Pazuzu is following Merrin. In the Exorcist film itself, the use of Pazuzu and it's link to Reagan and Merrin are left rather puzzling, IMO.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:26 AM
Evil Dead

I find the use of Pazuzu as the antagonist all the stranger too considering he's actually a protector who wards off other evil spirits, according to mythology. But seeing as he himself is a demon, I guess his protection comes with a cost.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:34 PM
ventricle

Quote:
I find the use of Pazuzu as the antagonist all the stranger too considering he's actually a protector who wards off other evil spirits, according to mythology. But seeing as he himself is a demon, I guess his protection comes with a cost.
Pazuzu is, at least on the surface, an odd choice for the possessing demon within the Exorcist film. Would have expected just a demon, or the Devil. But Pazuzu is the king of the demons of the wind. There's an attachment to Judeo-Christianity. One in particular is in Daniel 10, where assumedly an angel, was sent to Daniel, but "the prince of the Persian kingdom resisted me twenty-one days. Then Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, because I was detained there with the king of Persia." The "fallen angels" of Genesis were on the Earth for centuries. One might expect these demons to be the demons/gods of ancient civilizations.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:20 PM
Evil Dead

I always wondered what made William Peter Blatty choose Pazuzu as the demon to possess Regan when he wrote The Exorcist. I guess he might've wanted to use a more unique demon instead of just the Devil or a random one?

Could be interesting to see such mythology used in the next Indy film.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:11 PM
Evil Dead

Indy 5 looking possible.

If they really make it within the next two years maybe it can be done as a two-part finale to end the series, something like what's being done with Mockingjay for The Hunger Games. I'd love to see an epic finale like that for the saga with Ford reprising Indy for the final time before he has to retire the role due to his advancing age.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:59 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Indy 5 looking possible.

If they really make it within the next two years maybe it can be done as a two-part finale to end the series, something like what's being done with Mockingjay for The Hunger Games. I'd love to see an epic finale like that for the saga with Ford reprising Indy for the final time before he has to retire the role due to his advancing age.
For me, it depends what the scripts are. If they have scripts to move on from the 1957, then yes, include Harrison as Indy passing the torch to a new hero. But please, not Shia LaBeouf.

Otherwise, if there's a good script for an earlier period, I'd rather they start fresh, with an "alternate universe", with no harrison ford.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:45 AM
Evil Dead

I doubt Shia would be in it, given that he publicly trashed the fourth film which drew to ire of Ford and also with his recent antics that had pretty much made him a pariah in the film industry.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:56 PM
Evil Dead

Word is out now that two more sequels are planned. If that's the case they'll probably have to be shot back-to-back given Ford's age. I think a two-part series finale is a great way to end the series before Ford has to retire the role for good due to his age.