Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-17-2023, 08:59 AM
Evil Dead

Post Resident Evil 4

The original RE4 is still the most overrated "horror" game ever made.

I seriously think the game is just an action yarn, with subtle horror things for the sake of not entirely saying F-U to the genre that RE started.

The game to me has always bordered on being stupid, because of that cloaked guy selling you tons of firearms. No horror game ought to have a gimmick like this. You're supposed to feel scared, being mostly by yourself, making do with whatever little items you can gather up. So having this idea that you collect cash and trade with a vendor, doesn't suit this genre. Even if he is very popular and identifiable in pop culture history, the merchant is all in all, somebody you put in a horror game to basically rid it of the horror.

But I love 4 for being an action game, of course. But saying it's a survival horror game however and that RE5 isn't is kind of a dumb statement to make, because I feel that 4 and 5 play the same way. Even 6 I think is similar to how 4 and 5 is, with co-op, and so on.

What needed to happen was, Capcom should have killed off Umbrella in a proper game, with the same gameplay style as the other games from before 4 was released. How they did it, I just hated the outcome. But yeah. RE4 is still a great game, although for different reasons to being creepy.

Tags
capcom, evil, resident