Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Horror Art
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-15-2008, 04:00 AM
Living Dead

Talking Hieronymus Bosch

Bosch’s pictures have always fascinated viewers, but in earlier centuries it was widely assumed that his diabolic scenes were intended merely to amuse or titillate, most people regarded him as “the inventor of monsters and chimeras’.
Philip II, though, collected his works more for education than for entertainment. A Dutch art historian in the early 17th century described Bosch’s paintings chiefly as ‘wondrous and strange fantasies… often less pleasant than gruesome to look at’. In the 20th century, however, scholars decided that Bosch’s art has a more profound significance, and there have been many attempts to explain its origins and meaning. Some writers saw him as a sort of 15th century surrealist and linked his name with that of Salvator Dali.

[IMG]:rolleyes: [/IMG]

DON'T FEAR THE REAPER
Old 04-16-2008, 01:20 PM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
One of my favorites. Creative visions of Hell are amazing.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:19 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Woah...not really familiar with him, but that stuff is foolishly cool. I'll have to look him up!
Old 06-14-2008, 04:45 PM
HDC Idol

Good GOD do I love Bosch. So many times I've considered getting something from "The Garden of Earthly Delights" tattooed, but I can't decide on what...

I grew up with Bosch. My dad had a print of "The Garden of Earthly Delights" and I remember it seriously creeping me out, but yet being oddly compelled by it.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!