Old 10-25-2003, 07:30 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to ChaoticMinister Send a message via Yahoo to ChaoticMinister
Thumbs up Scary Movie 3 Review (~>Spoilers!<~)

Just got back from it about 45 minutes ago...

Spoilers!!!!

It was a pretty damned funny movie (I loved the homages to Airplane! and TCM)... Almost too many dick-kicks though... There were so many in the preview for Bad Santa as it was before the movie... But these were done pretty well... There were some pretty scary elements to it... But most of them were elements ripped off from The Ring, so they were kinda predictable...

The movies that I was able to see that were spoofed were:

The Ring
Signs
8 Mile
The Matrix
The Others
The Sixth Sense (Maybe, not positive)
Scream, sort of...

Thats all I can remember... but they did do a great job of reproducing the scenes and particularly the shots from the original movies...

I'd see it again to catch anything that I might have missed... Running jokes, easter eggs, cameos, and the like... I dunno if anyone else noticed this but I think Pamela Anderson has a nipple slip at the beginning for just an instant...

Some things I liked about it were the homages, obviously, I was one of the two people (the other one was sitting right next to me) who got the Airplane! reference, but almost everyone started clapping for the TCM one... Annoyed me... Selective classic appreciation (And only because TCM was redone and released the week before!)... Anyways, I also dug Leslie Nielsen, who made this movie really come together a shite-load more than anyone else in it... He really sealed the movie up for me... I won't go too much into specific scenes, but I thought it was more of less worth seeing at least twice (which is more than I can say for "Armageddon")

Some things I didn't like were certain parts that were clearly removed to give it a PG-13 rating... I noticed two: The first was where Morpheus (Eddie Griffin) is "prophecizing and Queen Latifah threatens him... THAT WASN'T EVEN IN THE DAMN MOVIE! Also, during the scene with the Wake for the teacher... the sequence where the boy strolls along a couchful of people and lists various things ("You're going to have a boy, and he's going to be an asshole," etc.) He clearly skipped the second to last person (A hot woman) to go straight for the dude with the toupee... It seems that the toupee one was more of a cool down from a much funnier joke that would have occurred with the Hot woman ( something to kind of keep the laughter from the previous joke running) but it really wasn't that funny of a way to end that sequence... Also the guy who played the Eminem ripoff and the Uncle whoever (Jesse? :P) wasn't doing too much for me... I also felt the whole 8 Mile deal wasn't really integral to the plot... Just sort of thrown in at the behest of the writer or director.

Anyways... since it's a Horror-Comedy-Parody, it's harder to really judge but I'll split it down:

Horror: rarely anything scary for me, but the elements were very nicely pulled off: 5/10

Comedy: some very nice original stuff evenly spaced out throughout the parody stuff: 8/10

Parody: oodles of good mocking as well as homaging moments, nicely duplicated sequences and shots that were well built off of: 9/10

One of the best (and few, sadly) parody movies I've seen lately... Not Airplane! or Top Secret! quality... But it's up there on it's own seperate level because there definately wasn't as much wordplay and randomness as the aforementioned artworks.

Check it out! (Or Suffer!)

*FADE OUT*

Last edited by ChaoticMinister; 10-25-2003 at 07:35 PM.