Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > True Crime
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-28-2004, 08:49 PM
willows mommy

kangaroo to b awarded for saving a farmer

CANBERRA, Australia, - A kangaroo will receive a valor award for rescuing a farmer who was knocked unconscious by a falling tree limb, Australia's national animal protection society said Wednesday.

Lulu, a 4-year-old eastern gray kangaroo, raised the alarm after Len Richards was knocked cold in September on his cattle ranch about 100 miles east of Melbourne.

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA) Australia will present Lulu with the Australian Animal Valor Award next month.

"It's the first time a native animal has ever received the award," said Jenny Hodges, the society's executive officer. "Certainly the vast majority of recipients have been dogs."

Richards, 51, said he owed his life to Lulu, whom he rescued after her mother had been killed by a logging truck.

"I'd be pushing up daisies if it wasn't for Lulu," Richards said. "I'm over the moon that she's been recognized as a hero and feel privileged to have developed such a special bond with a native animal."

Richards estimates he had been unconscious for about 30 minutes before his nephew, Brendan Richards, investigated the kangaroo's commotion.

"Brendan said she was standing over me with her big hind legs at my back," Richards said. "She looked like she'd rolled me over on my side to keep my airway clear, but we'll never know for sure."

WICKED LADYS BUDDY

Human passions have mysterious ways, in children as well as grown-ups. Those affected by them can't explain them, and those who haven't known them have no understanding of them at all. -neverending story (the book)
Old 04-29-2004, 03:53 AM
Call Me Snake

Send a message via AIM to Plissken Send a message via Yahoo to Plissken
Is she anyway related to Skippy? LOL
Old 04-29-2004, 02:53 PM
willows mommy

heres another article on this story w/ more detail

CANBERRA (Reuters) - A kangaroo named Lulu is to receive a national bravery award after raising the alarm to save an Australian farmer knocked unconscious by a fallen tree branch. Hobby farmer Leonard Richards was checking for storm damage on his property at Tanjil South, 93 miles east of Melbourne, last September when he was hit by a falling branch.

In a story reminiscent of the long-running Australian children's television series Skippy, in which a kangaroo rescued people in distress in the Australian bush, Lulu began barking until Richards' wife came to investigate, said the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA).

She found her husband lying unconscious under a tree about 650 feet from the house, guarded by the kangaroo. Richards was taken to hospital to be treated for minor head injuries.

The RSPCA has given Lulu its animal valor award to recognize the kangaroo's heroic act with a certificate to be presented to Richards at a ceremony next month.

"What she did really was exceptional," RSPCA spokeswoman Jenny Hodges said on Wednesday.

Lulu was reared by the Richards family, who rescued her from her mother's pouch and fed her on bottles after her mother was killed by a car over four years ago.

WICKED LADYS BUDDY

Human passions have mysterious ways, in children as well as grown-ups. Those affected by them can't explain them, and those who haven't known them have no understanding of them at all. -neverending story (the book)
Old 05-09-2004, 10:30 PM
legal eyes

Send a message via AIM to jay o2 waster
that kangaroo is a real american hero:)