Old 03-02-2015, 06:43 AM
Relentless thrill seeker

P.T. (Silent Hill)

Did anyone else play P.T. - the short game that turned out to be an elaborate playable teaser for the next upcoming game in the Silent Hill franchise?

I was stuck with the controller because my friend got so uncomfortable and sweaty-palmed after two minutes that he couldn't hold on to it and I don't think I've ever been that scared from any movie or game. It was ridiculous.

At one point I just let go of the (vibrating) controller, covered my eyes and ears for a full minute while my friend pussied out completely by leaving the room. He then insisted we quit before completing it and that we never play it again at his place, and since he's the one with the PS, I've never gotten the chance to try it again, even though I'm dying to re-experience such a delicious fright!

Did anyone else get a rare, and rather nauseating thrill from playing this teaser?
Old 03-02-2015, 07:03 AM
No Tears Please...

I played it, its pretty freaking awesome. But would you expect anything less from Guillermo Del Toro? That is probably the only game I am legitimately excited about this year.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:09 AM
Relentless thrill seeker

As would I be, if knew I could get my chickensh*t PS-owner pal to leave his own house while I indulge in Del Toro/ Kojima awesomeness.

But the style is going to be completely different right? Third person and more violence that creepiness is the sense I get?
Old 03-02-2015, 07:14 AM
No Tears Please...

Im not sure if it will be entirely first person, but the creepiness will be through the roof. Its one of Del Toros signatures. I am a die hard fan of the first three. And Downfall wasn't bad either. But the scare level had weekend as the series went on. I think this one will be legitimately scary. I haven't been really scared by a game in ages. But I remember playing the second one in my basement, pitch black and no one in the house. I thought I was going to die.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:35 PM
Relentless thrill seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake.Ashworth View Post
I remember playing the second one in my basement, pitch black and no one in the house. I thought I was going to die.
That qualifies as either one of the most ballsy or most masochistic things I've ever heard.

I'm hoping the game will contain some of the teaser's atmosphere, but I read in some interview with Kojima that the point of P.T. was to capture the true essence of horror. And I'd call it a job well done.

It was a good spin on the franchise for me, because I panic and DIE when attacked by something in Silent Hill, Project Zero, Amnesia...

I'd much rather just wake up on the basement floor ready for another bout of nervous torture after a ghost Lisa assault.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:40 PM
No Tears Please...

I have hunted for really serious horror in the gaming world for a long time. Nothing turns me on more than playing a really scary game and hearing a noise in the house. I love what happens in my imagination when I am really scared.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:55 PM
Relentless thrill seeker

Quote:
I have hunted for really serious horror in the gaming world for a long time. Nothing turns me on more than playing a really scary game and hearing a noise in the house. I love what happens in my imagination when I am really scared.

I absolutely feel you on that, I think this is what draws me to the horror genre in general. I love that rush of adrenalin when I'm alone and so scared I actually let out an involuntary scream or a nervous giggle. Or cover my eyes and ears.

And games are way worse than movies because of the interaction factor, the problem is I WILL die if it's something where I have to actively defend myself.
So I have to settle for more creepy exploration games (like Scratches) or indies (like The Last Door)
Old 03-02-2015, 01:01 PM
No Tears Please...

Lol! Im a pretty solid gamer. I loved the games back in the hay day of the horror genre. Siren was great, and Fatal Frame. I just cant remember a recent game that actually got me going. I had high hopes for The Evil Within and Dying Light but they still didn't get me.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:13 PM
Relentless thrill seeker

Yeah, it's hard not to get desensitized when gorging on extreme assaults on the senses and the imagination at any given chance.

I miss the days when I got spooked when a primitively pixelated witch entered a forest frame in Kings Quest 1 to the lound sound of an ominous midi tune.

Or when a lady suddenly took off her clothes in Leisure Suit Larry

Here's to hoping Del Toro/ Kojima will redeem the genre in creative and effective ways!
Old 03-02-2015, 01:22 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Lol! Im a pretty solid gamer. I loved the games back in the hay day of the horror genre. Siren was great, and Fatal Frame. I just cant remember a recent game that actually got me going. I had high hopes for The Evil Within and Dying Light but they still didn't get me.
I haven't played Dying Light yet, but my impression was that its more of a survival open world model instead of scaring the player.