Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Hellraiser

The Shining, From Sane to INsane

I have wated so much to watch this movie and now when i did,I DONT FIND IT SCARY,why
Old 01-07-2008, 03:22 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE VAMPIRE View Post
I have wated so much to watch this movie and now when i did,I DONT FIND IT SCARY,why
I'm not trying to be insulting but how old are you? I saw this film when i was about 12-13 & i had already seen DOTD, Zombi 2 & Cannibal Holocaust. at the time i was unimpressed by the measly bodycount, lack of gore etc. I then saw the film again 3-4 years later & realised what i had missed & appreciated the film a hell of a lot more. One of my favourite films & only just piped by Clockwork Orange as Kubricks best IMO.
Do you know who i am? I'm the ANTICHRIST. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood, tell the ANGELS in Heaven you never saw EVIL so singularly personified than in the face of the man who KILLED you........

I ask you again Captain, where will you go?
You can destroy my specimens but what about the millions that wait to greet you outside?
Do you really think you can blow the piss out of them?
All of them?
Old 01-07-2008, 06:10 AM
(sw) Fake Shemp (sw)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor satan View Post
I'm not trying to be insulting but how old are you? I saw this film when i was about 12-13 & i had already seen DOTD, Zombi 2 & Cannibal Holocaust. at the time i was unimpressed by the measly bodycount, lack of gore etc. I then saw the film again 3-4 years later & realised what i had missed & appreciated the film a hell of a lot more. One of my favourite films & only just piped by Clockwork Orange as Kubricks best IMO.
i love the shining, its not about bodycount so i agree with doctor satan... and leave off rob zombie i really REALLY like the man .... the shining is a classic movie.

"It's a DISASTER...a DISASTER! Spelt with two 'O's... like 'DOOM'!!"
Old 01-07-2008, 10:18 AM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
I didn't like Kubrick's Shining either. I felt he mangled the message and Jack was underdeveloped as a character. There are some scenes that are great (like the twins for example) but the Overlook was too sterile, Danny too small a part of the plot and Jack's descent into madness too quick. I share Stephen King's sentiments. If Kubrick wanted to adapt the book, he should have stuck closer to its themes instead of focusing on an artist going mad.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:45 AM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Faustus View Post
I didn't like Kubrick's Shining either. I felt he mangled the message and Jack was underdeveloped as a character. There are some scenes that are great (like the twins for example) but the Overlook was too sterile, Danny too small a part of the plot and Jack's descent into madness too quick. I share Stephen King's sentiments. If Kubrick wanted to adapt the book, he should have stuck closer to its themes instead of focusing on an artist going mad.

I'm gonna have you banned for saying that..

;)
Old 01-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Tenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Faustus View Post
Very true. King's book was much more of an insanity rush, and it got places with much more triumph and much less flash.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Fake Shemp

Send a message via AIM to The Vault of Horror Send a message via Yahoo to The Vault of Horror Send a message via Skype™ to The Vault of Horror
Kubrick made The Shining as a Kubrick movie. Most of his movies deal with the methodical dehumanization of their characters, as well as the steady collapse of a neat and supposedly perfect setup. Those were the themes he was interested in exploring, in his own style. I personally consider Kubrick to be a much more impressive artist than King, so I'm fine with him adapting it as he saw fit. For me, Kubrick's Shining is one of the most disturbing movies ever made.

Listen to my internet radio station, Sublime to Ridiculous, at live365.com/stations/b_sol
Old 01-09-2008, 03:12 PM
She's under the stairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE VAMPIRE View Post

Maybe because you have no sense of escapism....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx
Because you want his maggot ridden dick dontcha
Old 01-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Therapy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vault of Horror View Post
Kubrick made The Shining as a Kubrick movie. Most of his movies deal with the methodical dehumanization of their characters, as well as the steady collapse of a neat and supposedly perfect setup. Those were the themes he was interested in exploring, in his own style. I personally consider Kubrick to be a much more impressive artist than King, so I'm fine with him adapting it as he saw fit. For me, Kubrick's Shining is one of the most disturbing movies ever made.
I agree with you on this.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:36 PM
Infection Form

It's certainly a creepy movie. Watch it during the winter when no one is home sometime, and pay attention to the atmosphere and the environment.

Nowadays, people make the mistake of thinking a movie has to be like 'Saw" or "Hostel" to be scary, that the torturing and gore has to start in the first 30 minutes or it's "boring". Ah such is life.....