Old 01-10-2018, 08:48 PM
Living Dead

Anyone own this book as a kid?

Did anyone else here have the book of short horror stories when they were a kid, that was a red paperback and came with a cassette tape with an audio recording of a couple of the stories from the book on it? One was about "Batty Hattie" and the other was about some old miser that was buried with his gold coin under his eyepatch.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:25 PM
HDC's werewolf enthusiast

I actually collect books of short horror stories, but I'm somewhat selective. I haven't heard of the ones you've mentioned. What age group do you think the book was meant for? Mine are mostly adult or young adult readers, but a few have very red covers.

Supposed to be happy, but I'm only getting colder. Wear a smile on my face, but there's a demon inside.
Free to use signature images and avatars!
Old 01-11-2018, 06:56 PM
Living Dead

It was probably children's, but I suppose maybe....what's after children's? Middle Grade??? Maybe that. I think I got it when I was probably 7 or 8 years old.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:21 AM
HDC's werewolf enthusiast

You never said you were looking for it, but now you have me curious.

I have a red book that has a collection of Alfred Hitchcock stories that looks like it's meant for young readers. It's called ''Monster Museum''.

Another one I have has a red-ish cover by Bruce Coville called ''Book of Monsters: Tales to Give You the Creeps''. I think I have another one by him but my room is a mess and I don't recall where I put it.

Rudyard Kipling's ''The Mark of the Beast and Other Horror Tales'' has a red cover with a chimp-person looking sculpture on it.

I might have more but I'm too disorganized.

I feel your plight though. For a long time I sought my favorite book of scary stories from my childhood is this blue cover book that has the story of the Tailypo. The art and story itself were so memorable I vividly remember it giving me chills. (I must've been pretty young cause I found it again in my adult years [and have it in my collection now], and going over it again it's not that frightening. It's no ''Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark''.)

Supposed to be happy, but I'm only getting colder. Wear a smile on my face, but there's a demon inside.
Free to use signature images and avatars!
Old 01-17-2018, 08:27 PM
Immortal horror fan

I only have one vintage horror record book. I think there were a lot of these combo sets back then. I know I had them with comic characters. Perhaps search ebay or look for the images in your searches.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:47 PM
Living Dead

I don't think it's either one of those books, but thanks for the suggestions. If I remember, it didn't have anything on the cover, except maybe the title/author. I could be wrong, though.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:27 PM
Living Dead

Inspired by ImmortalSlasher's post, I did some searches. I still didn't find it, but I think I'm getting closer. It looks like the tape might have been a "Pickwick Tell-a-Tale". The word, "Pickwick" at least looks familiar. I haven't seen any that weren't Dracula, etc. , though.

I accidentally found this while I was looking, which is cool, though.

http://horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68403
Old 01-30-2018, 10:15 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shroud View Post
Inspired by ImmortalSlasher's post, I did some searches. I still didn't find it, but I think I'm getting closer. It looks like the tape might have been a "Pickwick Tell-a-Tale". The word, "Pickwick" at least looks familiar. I haven't seen any that weren't Dracula, etc. , though.

I accidentally found this while I was looking, which is cool, though.

http://horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68403
Yeah I don't know why it's difficult to find some stuff in the usual site list searches. But I know when I had to find something checking the image results and their sites usually got me to a fan site that provided the answer.