Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-22-2011, 09:01 AM
HDC Idol

Atrocious (2010)

Pretty average "found footage" film. Since these types of movies really do it for me, I probably enjoyed this more than your average horror fan (the boyfriend thought it was stupid). Doesn't do anything new for the horror genre, or the "found footage" style, but I enjoyed it. Made me jump at the right times, though they do spend a bit too long just running around in the woods (which was my boyfriend's main complaint). Also, when you start to dissect the end, it's really really silly.

Regardless, I enjoyed it. Solid little average flick.

3/5.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 12-22-2011, 02:12 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerfan View Post
I like Robert Pattinson better in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Me too......because he dies.

AVADA KEDAVRA!!!
Old 12-22-2011, 03:34 PM
Evil Dead

A day of Pirate adventure for me:

1) "Swashbuckler" (1976)
-Robert Shaw, James Earl Jones

Plot: IMDB
A pirate and a hot-tempered noblewoman join forces to protect Jamaica from a tyrant.

Phantom's Review: I remember seeing this movie in theaters back in '76 and thinking it was a blast, having not seen it in a while I decided to put it on today and much to my surprise, it's still a blast Plenty of pirate action and adventure. Entertaining story and a fine cast. Robert Shaw seems to be having the time of his life. Watch for a very young Angelica Huston in a totally dialog free role as a mysterious woman in the Governors mansion and, also watch for Horror fave Sid Haig as one the pirates. (the role suits him well) A very enjoyable film.

2) "Cutthroat Island" (1995)
-Geena Davis
Plot: IMDB
Morgan Adams and her slave, William Shaw, are on a quest to recover the three portions of a treasure map. Unfortunately, the final portion is held by her murderous uncle, Dawg. Her crew is skeptical of her leadership abilities, so she must complete her quest before they mutiny against her. This is made yet more difficult by the efforts of the British crown to end her piratical raids.

Phantom's Review: Like the previous film, I also saw this one in the theaters and apparently I was one of the very few. One of the biggest flops in film history, i found this film to be plenty of fun. Geena Davis is not a great actress, but does a credible job as the pirate captain. The best part is watching Frank Langella as her evil uncle "Dawg" Brown. He's chewing every scene he's in. Some exciting stunts, huge sets and plenty of action. A fun movie.
--
Old 12-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Little Boo

Paranormal Activity 2. I liked the first one much better.

Insidious. I was pleasantly surprised with the decent acting and storyline. The woman with the gun is my favorite character.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Midnight toker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
Atrocious (2010)

Pretty average "found footage" film. Since these types of movies really do it for me, I probably enjoyed this more than your average horror fan (the boyfriend thought it was stupid). Doesn't do anything new for the horror genre, or the "found footage" style, but I enjoyed it. Made me jump at the right times, though they do spend a bit too long just running around in the woods (which was my boyfriend's main complaint). Also, when you start to dissect the end, it's really really silly.

Regardless, I enjoyed it. Solid little average flick.

3/5.
Watched this a while back, gotta agree with your boyfriend, had trouble even getting through it, and damn they drag out the running around the maze...
Old 12-22-2011, 08:50 PM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
I just watched this today, as well. I'm pretty much with you. It was really a lot of fun, but I think it lacked that epic feel that it should have had, like they just didn't have enough material to round out a feature-length. But even still, I did have a good time watching it. The kid that plays Pietari was really great. I'd definitely throw it in every Christmas season.

Last edited by _____V_____; 12-28-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:28 AM
Pirate of Bengal

The Devil's Double (2011)

>>: B

BBC Four's Ghost Stories for Christmas: The Stalls of Barchester (1971) & Lost Hearts (1973)

Followed the success of Whistle & I'll come to You and A Warning to the Curious, this two are another shinning examples of translating the brand of chilling, heavily suggestive subtlety which characteristics M.R. James' short stories into the medium of television. Elegantly produced, beautifully acted and filled with strong and unrelenting atmosphere of unease and creeping dread, both are highly effective televisual adaptations that's highly recommendable for the fans of great old school ghost stories.

>>: A-
Old 12-23-2011, 08:55 AM
Whip In My Valise

I haven't been able to find The Stalls Of Barchester or Lost Hearts.:(

I saw The Signalman and Stigma, the 1976 and 1977 entries. They were both excellent.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:55 AM
Horror Fan

Thumbs up

Just watched White Noise (2005) last night. 7.5/10.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:57 PM
For Vendetta

Watched a few obscure 70s-80s horror titles I picked up on my trip, over the past few days: