Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Comics

Old 01-29-2012, 10:01 AM
Wanna Join?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertSmith View Post
I've been catching up on this list: http://www.besthorrorcomics.com/submissions.html

Every one I've read on there is solid gold.
Lots of good reading it looks like.

"Within the framework of most horror tales we find a moral code so strong it would make a Puritan smile." Stephen King, DANSE MACABRE
Old 02-14-2012, 02:03 PM
Little Boo

None of the comics I read are horror. I read The Walking Dead, but it ran out of steam for me by around issue 60 or so.

But I read seven or eight titles a month, and I'm still waiting for a nice ongoing horror series.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:30 AM
Fresh Meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertSmith View Post
I've been catching up on this list: http://www.besthorrorcomics.com/submissions.html

Every one I've read on there is solid gold.
Thanks for this. great find!

www.reelybored.com
Old 02-22-2012, 09:40 AM
Wanna Join?

Stories from Batman and Detective Comics featuring Batman's "new look" beginning with it's introduction in Detective Comics 327, May 1964. This was the dead of the Silver Age and it was obvious DC needed a new strategy to battle the new powerhouse on the block, Marvel. A hardcore Marvelite at the time I didn't appreciate DC's efforts to change without losing its distinctive character but many decades later I'm enjoying them now.

"Within the framework of most horror tales we find a moral code so strong it would make a Puritan smile." Stephen King, DANSE MACABRE

Last edited by sfear; 02-22-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:12 AM
HDC Idol

Just finished We3 by by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely (Aug 23, 2011)

I'm having a hard time deciding whether I liked this or not or not. It definitely hits you over the head with the pretty familiar scifi tropes of HUMANS: BAD, SCIENCE: BAD, NATURE: AT BAD MAN'S MERCY, WORLD: BLEAK... To be honest, those aren't my particularly favorite scifi tropes; I typically like my scifi more whimsical and less BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEAK.

I found the story profoundly sad and grim. And while clearly that was the intent, I couldn't help but feeling as though it was overly manipulative as opposed to a good, clean piece of scifi. Also, the writing wasn't really great. As I mentioned, it really does hit you over the head with the aforementioned topics.

Gorgeous art, but not my favorite graphic novel.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 03-27-2012, 12:53 PM
HDC Idol

Powers Vol. 1: Who Killed Retro Girl? by Brian Michael Bendis and Michael Avon Oeming (2001)

Pretty fun read. I like the world that Bendis and Oeming set up here. Looking forward to read a few more volumes to see where it goes.

Desolation Jones by by Warren Ellis (Author), J.H. WIlliams (Illustrator), Jose Villarrubia (Colorist) (2006)

Loved it. Love Ellis. Really wish that there were more to this series outside of two additional comics outside of this volume. As per Ellis' usual, you have a great character in a dystopic future. I want more.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 03-27-2012, 03:07 PM
That fucking Guy...

Read a new one by Mark Millar called "SuperCrooks", first issue.
Storyline revolves around a mid-level villain coming up with the theory that he and his cohorts would actually start succeeding if they relocated to a place not known for it's large superhero population - Spain.
Aside from the introduction to the characters, not a lot more happened in the first issue but it was a good introduction, the main character is pretty likeable and the dialogue is well done, and pretty funny.
Yeah I'll probably read this one as it comes out.

Speaking of Millar, now that I got the final issue I read through "Kick Ass" series 2. It was ok. Can't say I really liked it that much, and it didn't as such feel like a complete story as the first one did - If they're going to base another movie on this series they're going to need some more material.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:21 PM
Immortal horror fan

I'm still reading the Ghost Omnibus. A surprise character made an appearance in the last issue. The Predator!
Old 03-28-2012, 06:14 PM
That fucking Guy...

Quote:
I'm still reading the Ghost Omnibus. A surprise character made an appearance in the last issue. The Predator!
Is he an enemy?

I just got done reading the latest "Walking Dead", and things manage to fuck up, yet again. Good read.

Also the "new 52" latest issue of Aquaman.
This is probably the best and most accessible Aquaman title I've come across, though I didn't mind the last one (sword of Atlantis, in which a new aquaman was introduced, likely erased from existence in this new 52 line though...).
This issue (re)introduced the Black Manta character - and damn, he is COLD.
Looks as though his character will have a little more depth this time around too. Not my favourite New 52 title, but one of the better ones, and a good run for the character and the atlantis thing so far.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:09 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheebacheeba View Post
Is he an enemy?
Yeah, he's an enemy. The main Ghost character has a cool moment against him.