Old 08-21-2009, 07:51 AM
That fucking Guy...

Toys remembered...

I never had a shitload of toys, but I did alright.
I remember having a lot of water pistols, and things that shot rubber darts.

Had a few transformers, and a fair few he-mans. I liked those, but not especially.
I had one he-man badguy that had a button on his back, and it looked like blood was pumping through his chest when you pressed it. The He-man I had, you put ring caps in it, and when you twisted his torso one way and let go in a "punch" motion, the cap would go off. It was great.

Another couple of things I really liked were seldom purchased at toy stores.
Sometimes you'd get 'em in bubblegum dispenser type machines - the sticky slapping hand things, or the "pop" cap type dealys that bounced.
You could get these other things usually at fairs/fates/carnivals, you could get them as prizes usually - a little guy you threw up in the air and he came down in a parachute. Loved 'em.
There was also the little thing you held, pulled the rip cord, and it would launch a flying propeller with a ring around it? I remember removing that ring and firing it towards people, it cut this one kids face.

Aside from lego/mechano, which are a given cool thing to play with, I really liked a couple of toy like things I had...more like electronics, but hey.
One was called the "Armatron" from radio shack - Did anyone here ever play with one of these? You could only really pick shit up and move it around but I felt like it took some skill to master and it was a really enjoyable thing to use.

Another thing I had, and I can't for the life of me remember the name or what exactly it looked like, but it was a remote control robot. No moving limbs or anything it was a little rolling thing on tank type tracks, bit like R2D2 kinda thing but smaller and I seem to recall it having a dark see-thru plastic type dome head. Pretty small, could fit under a standard bucket.
The thing about this robot was, well the cool thing I thought, was that you could also speak into the remote control similar to a walkie talkie, and the robot would speak your words. Any info on what this thing was would be helpful, I would really like to get another, I have no idea where the first one went, although I do recall my grandmother didn't much like some of the things it was saying.

I got one more. I once knew a kid who went on holidays to singapore or somewhere 'round there, and bought back (this is like 18 years ago at least) a plastic ball, a little smaller than a basketball, and yeah, it was a remote controlled ball. It didn't go real fast, but it looked like some great fun...
Anyone ever come across one of these? Do you know where to obtain them?
'Cos yeah I've looked, seems pretty hard.

A few things I always thought looked fun were those glider planes with the wind up rubber band propellers, and of course the model rockets with blast caps, never got around to using either of those.

So toys,
What were your favourites, why?
Old 08-21-2009, 08:02 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

my all time favorite toys were Major Matt Mason toys ..

maybe Newb will remember them - no one else will.

he was an astronaut guy .. flexible bendy .. with a space helmet and a glider.

there were about 4 guys ,... a green see through alien. a space crawler, a space station, a special suit for 'taking rock samples' a solar tent, and some other stuff.

i frigging loved these toys. recently saw an ebay auction of these - a big lot of everything i just mentioned in unperfect condition and it went for about $500.00 maybe more ... (shamefully - i bid $300.00)

i also had every movie related car there was.

the green hornet
chitty chitty bang bang
james bonds car from goldfinger
batmobile
hatari (john wayne)
yellow submarine (i think .. not sure if it's just a weird memory)

all gone, all worth a fortune.

the only thing i still have is my batman cape from the mid 60's - which adam west signed a couple of years ago
Old 08-21-2009, 08:19 AM
Banned

G.I. JOES.......the big ones....I had a ton of them.[ wish I kept them ]

I don't remember Major Matt Mason....maybe that was a Canada thing.

Slinkys

View Master

Rock em Sock em Robots

nice thread Cheebs....bringing me back :D
Old 08-21-2009, 08:26 AM
Banned

another toy that I absolutely loved was my "James Bond Attache Case".

I would love to find one of these at some vintage toy store.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:32 AM
Banned

holy shit....I googled Major Matt Nelson and was shocked ....I did have this toy. I can't believe I forgot about it [ beer does kill brain cells ].

Old 08-21-2009, 08:43 AM
HDC Resident Serial Killa

Send a message via Yahoo to Freak
I had a ton of G.I. Joes, the small ones.Still have a few laying around somewhere.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

He-Man

Thundercats

Thats all I can think of right now.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:29 AM
Soundtrack to Rambo

i used to have the boombox transformer toy, which is my favorite. i remember the little tape would come out and change into a hawk or something. and it was a cool dark blue.

bunch of g.i. joes, i liked the ninjas so i had obtained snake eyes, slice, and dice.....they kicked asss. oh and my original cobra commander with the first mask...he had a backpack that would say a couple thing, forgot what.

micro machines, a little stage i went through......they looked realistic as a kid and that dude talking fast didnt help.

legos, haha

what else......

a few radio controlled cars, with the wires attatched...ahh yess bringing back the christmas miserys...

had ataris, nintendo, supernintendo, playstation, playstation2,xbox, then xbox 360..
Old 08-21-2009, 09:59 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
holy shit....I googled Major Matt Nelson and was shocked ....I did have this toy. I can't believe I forgot about it [ beer does kill brain cells ].

wow - i never saw that red alien guy before
Old 08-21-2009, 11:04 AM
HDC Resident Serial Killa

Send a message via Yahoo to Freak
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloody_ribcut View Post
i used to have the boombox transformer toy, which is my favorite. i remember the little tape would come out and change into a hawk or something. and it was a cool dark blue.

bunch of g.i. joes, i liked the ninjas so i had obtained snake eyes, slice, and dice.....they kicked asss. oh and my original cobra commander with the first mask...he had a backpack that would say a couple thing, forgot what.

micro machines, a little stage i went through......they looked realistic as a kid and that dude talking fast didnt help.

legos, haha

what else......

a few radio controlled cars, with the wires attatched...ahh yess bringing back the christmas miserys...

had ataris, nintendo, supernintendo, playstation, playstation2,xbox, then xbox 360..
Man I forgot all about Micromachines.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
I was an action figure guy. I still have so many of them. Mainly marvel superheroes and a good deal of Beast Wars Transformers. My Uncle who lives in America used to regularly give me GI Joes aswell. I preferred them to the English equivalent; Action Man. The GI Joes were more varied and had cooler stuff. I had one with real feeling hair.

The Ferrets like it...