Old 12-06-2011, 10:37 AM
indie sludge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
Hard to compare it to the films that you listed - It's really in its own class here. Also, I really liked Inside but not the other two.

Exploitation films in general really do a number on me, so I may be the wrong person to ask, but Martyrs truly filled me with a feeling of utter despair and hopelessness. I cried at the end out of the pure and utter bleakness of it all, and it haunted me for a while afterward. It's one of the most nihilistic and bleak films I've ever seen.
Damn! :eek: Now, maybe I'm not so much looking forward to it...is it really that hard-hitting?? I'm actually a little scared now, lol, cause I might be watching it close to Christmas. Do you think it'll ruin my Christmas?
Old 12-06-2011, 11:01 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by are_you_sad View Post
Damn! :eek: Now, maybe I'm not so much looking forward to it...is it really that hard-hitting?? I'm actually a little scared now, lol, cause I might be watching it close to Christmas. Do you think it'll ruin my Christmas?
LOL - No, I don't think it will ruin your Christmas.

Now I probably built it up so much that you will be disappointed when you finally see it. ;)

Like I said, I'm probably the wrong person to ask because I'm fairly sensitive to the nihilistic tendencies of horror (yet I keep coming back for more!) and have a really low tolerance for exploitation, so I tend to stay away. I'm surprised I watched Martyrs all the way through.

It may not phase you as much as it did me - There's a thread about it somewhere on here if you want to see others' opinions.

In the end, I do think it's an incredible movie. It just depressed and disturbed the HELL out of me. I wouldn't want to see it ever again.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!

Last edited by ChronoGrl; 12-06-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:28 AM
indie sludge

I do feel as though I'm a little on the sensitive (or over-sensitive) side, so I imagine that it's going to hit me pretty hard.

However, I think that's where my interest in horror films comes from. They are almost like a self-dare to see how much I can take or if I can handle what I'm watching.

That said, I have a feeling Martyrs is something ENTIRELY different than anything I've seen before. Just reading reactions to the film (being careful not to read a spoiler), it looks freakin' intense.

How long did the film's impact stay with you?
Old 12-07-2011, 05:40 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Martha Marcy May Marlene (2011)

Psychological Horror/drama/thriller is one of my very favorite genres and I do very much appreciate slow burn, art house or bleak films with a good & interesting story & at least some reasonable characterization. Now, here this is a film that centers around a woman named Martha who escapes from a Manson-family like screwed up cult group & then starts living with her sister in a beautiful lakeside cottage. But as she tries to adjust back to a normal life, she is continually haunted by the memories of her life in the cult. The premise was fine & the acting was convincing but the problem lies in the story progression as it was soo boring & dull that in the midway of the film I was kind of asking myself "what & why the hell I'm watching this shit anyway?" But as I have a great tolerance for shitty movies so I finished the movie where nothing actually happens in its 100 minutes running time. The story goes back and forth with some negligible scenes on Martha's life in the cult and a new 'beginning' with her sister but there was actually no development of anything. Though it tried to focus too much on Martha's "increasing" paranoia about her guilt ridden life back in the cult but there was no single interesting incident happens or they shared with the audience or they couldn't even able to show something properly. This is not something like a "thinking person's psychological drama"; this is straight away a very much dull movie that only has the capacity to waste your time.

>>: C-

Deadheads (2011)

Not bad; just an okay Zombedy.

>>: C

Last edited by roshiq; 12-07-2011 at 05:43 AM.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:47 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by are_you_sad View Post

How long did the film's impact stay with you?
"are_you_annoyed" would be the proper nick for you.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:01 AM
Love is like dying

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
Martha Marcy May Marlene (2011)

Psychological Horror/drama/thriller is one of my very favorite genres and I do very much appreciate slow burn, art house or bleak films with a good & interesting story & at least some reasonable characterization. Now, here this is a film that centers around a woman named Martha who escapes from a Manson-family like screwed up cult group & then starts living with her sister in a beautiful lakeside cottage. But as she tries to adjust back to a normal life, she is continually haunted by the memories of her life in the cult. The premise was fine & the acting was convincing but the problem lies in the story progression as it was soo boring & dull that in the midway of the film I was kind of asking myself "what & why the hell I'm watching this shit anyway?" But as I have a great tolerance for shitty movies so I finished the movie where nothing actually happens in its 100 minutes running time. The story goes back and forth with some negligible scenes on Martha's life in the cult and a new 'beginning' with her sister but there was actually no development of anything. Though it tried to focus too much on Martha's "increasing" paranoia about her guilt ridden life back in the cult but there was no single interesting incident happens or they shared with the audience or they couldn't even able to show something properly. This is not something like a "thinking person's psychological drama"; this is straight away a very much dull movie that only has the capacity to waste your time.

>>: C-

Deadheads (2011)

Not bad; just an okay Zombedy.

>>: C
i was going to watch deadheads but did not know if it would be funny or boring, one of those movies i left on the back burner, was it a funny movie.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:06 AM
indie sludge

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
"are_you_annoyed" would be the proper nick for you.
Gee, thanks.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:33 AM
HDC Idol

Hugo (2011)

I actually just wrote up a more detailed review about this, but keyboard quick keys just fucked me and wiped it all away. :mad::mad:

In short:
Great movie. Loved it. Defied my expectations - Movie took a turn from the story I was expecting it to be (the story of a lonely little kid) to be much, much more. It's magical and a true love story of the cinema - For those of you who love cinema, definitely see this in the theater.

Pros:
The adult casting was superb, right down from the antics of Sacha Baron Cohen (whom I wish would take more of these roles; loved him in Sweeney Todd as well), to Christopher Lee, Ben Kingsly, and Helen McCrory. The direction was incredibly well-done and the sets were truly magical.

Cons:
The kid casting was terrible - Asa Butterfield as Hugo was pale, uninteresting, and clearly forcing lines, while Chloë Grace Moretz really just sucks. I hated her in Kick-ass (with the exception of action scenes) and I hated her here too. She is not a great actress at all. Luckily this movie wasn't about the kids, though. Like I said, much, much more.

Also, not really sure why it needed to be in 3-D. Didn't necessarily take advantage of the technology.

4/5.

Attack the Block (2011)

Maybe I had high hopes for this movie because folks on here liked it, but I have to be honest, I was really disappointed.

What truly bothered me was this: Don't slap some sort of sociopolitical statement about slumdog thugs being constantly pigeon-holed and wrongfully fingered by police WHEN THE MOVIE STARTS OUT WITH THE FUCKERS PULLING A KNIFE ON A WOMAN.

I mean - COME ON - You want me to like these kids? You want me to sympathize with them? You want me to cheer them on when they turn from thugs to heroes?! DON'T START THE MOVIE WITH THEM PULLING A HEINOUS CRIME. Honestly, if, say, the alien had attacked her and she fingered the kids instead - THAT would have been a better statement about racial and socioeconomic profiling - But don't try to sell me on it when our anti-heroes start off by mugging a woman AT KNIFEPOINT.

So, really, in short:
I hated our characters. I really did. From the onset I wanted them to get their comeuppance. Not to mention, they're fairly 2-dimensional... Want to make a statement about THUGS NOT BEING THUGS? Well, maybe add some character development in there outside of MUGGING A WOMAN. Seriously. Want to show me that these kids aren't ACTUALLY bad? How about DON'T SHOW ME THEM MUGGING A WOMAN IN THE FIRST SCENE. Fuck your socio-political commentary. Do I understand that people of certain races and socioeconomic standing get pigeonholed and wrongfully fingered by the police? Absolutely! However, if I see a person committing a crime, I WANT THEM PUNISHED FOR IT! There is no punishment here - In fact they're hailed as HEROES even though, ultimately, it's their own hubris that caused the entire fiasco to occur at all (AAAAAAAAAARGH).

The last movie that I was annoyed about hating the main characters was The Horde, but the difference between the two is that The Horde is a significantly better movie, with significantly more tension and action and some truly nail-biting scenes. Attack the Block simply did not have that. Just horrible people who I wanted to see get gobbled by space aliens.

Disappointed.

2.75/5.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Cranky

Your review makes me want to write a story where a "bad person" is redeemed by his good actions.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 12-07-2011, 04:45 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Your review makes me want to write a story where a "bad person" is redeemed by his good actions.
I'm not saying it's impossible - I just think that it didn't work in Attack the Block.

Plus in the movie, they're not so much "redeeming" themselves, but "cleaning up the shit that they caused in the first place for being stupid fucks."

Ugh.

I guess what really annoys me is that the statement about pigeon-holing "bad people" ("thugs," "low-lifes," etc.) is actually a pretty important one to me. Growing up in a relatively poor city and then going to a rich WASP college where kids there would pretty easily throw out a racial epithet when it came to crimes being caused in the news, it infuriated me. I want to see kids who are type-cast as villains turn out to be heroes... But in the movie they were just 2-dimensional and unlikable.

Last edited by ChronoGrl; 12-07-2011 at 04:51 PM.