Old 10-20-2016, 11:22 PM
Evil Dead

The Belly of the Beast by Desmond Doane. About a third of the way through. Third in his The Graveyard: Classified Paranormal Series. This one is moving a bit slower than the first two. I guess it's building suspense, but it needs some action Real Soon Now.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:48 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinFan View Post
The Belly of the Beast by Desmond Doane. About a third of the way through. Third in his The Graveyard: Classified Paranormal Series. This one is moving a bit slower than the first two. I guess it's building suspense, but it needs some action Real Soon Now.
Have you read the Felix Castor series?
Old 10-21-2016, 07:20 AM
Evil Dead

ROSE MADDER-_Stephen King. One of King's better books, although the supernatural stuff comes very close to dragging it down. Very good characterization.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:23 PM
Horror Fan

Old 10-24-2016, 08:01 AM
Evil Dead

I was reading Penance, but I had to stop. Its well written, the author seems to have a good idea of what its like for kids under 15 homeless in chicago and hustling(prostituting) in the late 80s. A kind of serial killer is 'collecting' them. Not explicitly graphic, but enough in regards to rape and physical abuse involving kids. I was reading it for a while, engaged. I stopped and then an hour later I felt overwhelmed with the rape and physical abuse described. It was too much for me. Kids depicted in fiction or in real life(important not be look away/be ignorant of)) being abused and sexually assaulted is something I find very hard to handle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg penance.jpg (25.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-26-2016, 02:58 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBossInTheWall View Post
Have you read the Felix Castor series?
Pretty sure I've read the first two. I should probably read them again and find the rest, they are better than this Desmond Duane series.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:22 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinFan View Post
Pretty sure I've read the first two. I should probably read them again and find the rest, they are better than this Desmond Duane series.
They rest of the series is as good as the first two, maybe a bit less for the last book.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:46 AM
Evil Dead

CHILDREN OF THE NIGHT-Richard Lortz. This, along with JAWS was the "must Read" in second Semester 7th Grade (1975) and this was described by a peer as "Really Gross"
Five Slum children become feral to escape horrible home lives. Not badly written, but full of degradation, sleaze and perversion...You will probably want a shower afterwards.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:37 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
CHILDREN OF THE NIGHT-Richard Lortz. This, along with JAWS was the "must Read" in second Semester 7th Grade (1975) and this was described by a peer as "Really Gross"
Five Slum children become feral to escape horrible home lives. Not badly written, but full of degradation, sleaze and perversion...You will probably want a shower afterwards.
The quote from the book at goodreads.com makes it sound fairly cheesy. Is it like that?
Old 10-26-2016, 01:41 PM
Evil Dead

The Dead Sea was a decent read. Obvious Lovecraft influence, but the writing style is the author's own. I was entertained and did not feel annoyed thus not needing to stop for a long length of time. The characters weren't too deep, but varied enough not to be interchangeable. Fairly decent descriptions and a well thought out story in regards to being ship wrecked in a very unknown sea. As well as the pace was slow and fast when it needed to be. The plot points were also well thought out. The ending felt like it was cut to shorten the length of the book. Its a decent length too. 328 pages with smallish text and wide pages. I enjoyed it and will be keeping it for a reread sometime in the future. I definitely recommend it. 5/10.

*The picture of the front of the book jacket makes it seem like the book takes place in the 1700-1800s. It doesn't, it takes place in...the late 80s? I think. Modern story.

Take a journey into a place unknown to humanity. A space between spaces. When the Mara Corday, an aged freighter, enters the Graveyard of the Atlantic, nightmares become real. The crew finds themselves trapped in a realm where time doesn't exist and unimaginable horrors dwell. Lost in a becalmed sea, in a netherworld where evil manifests itself in hideous forms, the survivors of the Mara Corday have an eternity to find a way out - if they aren't killed first by the creatures stalking them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deadsea.jpg (21.3 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by TheBossInTheWall; 10-26-2016 at 01:45 PM.