Old 05-24-2006, 07:24 AM
Your funeral... my trial

Quote:
Originally posted by Miss Olivia
I just got "the scream" by john skipp and craig spector....I really like their writing style, no pulling punches....nice switch as I just finished Shogun for the twentieth time...
Check out The Light at the End as well. It's too bad Skipp and Spector don't seem to be writing anymore. They were two of the very few "splatterpunks" that were actually worth reading.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by urgeok
i'm reading something called Ghost .. still cant figure out if it's the inspiration for the movie or not yet.

at the same time (depending on which room in the house I'm in) a book on the Canadian Animation business, a book of Lovecraftian themed short stories, The Chronicles of NArnia, Potshot (a robert b Parker 'Spencer' novel), and a couple of others I cant recall at the moment..
ah - the other 2 are Rock This (Chris Rock)
and a 3 in one book compilation by woody allen which i wont be able to finish because it is way too repetative to be funny.

this guy was all about 'random' back in the day - it's just so dated and repetative now.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:49 AM
Hellraiser

Quote:
Originally posted by Jacob Singer
Just finished "The historian", pretty bored and doesnt tell me nothing that I don't know (before I read it) of Vlad Tepess.
I found it really dry and hard going - just as well it had all the hype before it was published to ensure it was a best seller cos it wouldn't have got there on its own.

Try "Vrolok" Nolene-Patricia Dougan - much much better historically. She weaves actual historical events and characters into her fiction. Her research is obvious but yet its never dry or boring. Let me know what you think of it.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:27 AM
EVIL CON CARNE

Quote:
Originally posted by AnnieMiller
I found it really dry and hard going - just as well it had all the hype before it was published to ensure it was a best seller cos it wouldn't have got there on its own.

Try "Vrolok" Nolene-Patricia Dougan - much much better historically. She weaves actual historical events and characters into her fiction. Her research is obvious but yet its never dry or boring. Let me know what you think of it.
Vrolok? Ok I try to find it when I'll finish Chaman. It's not bad (for a best seller) but nothing special. My problem it's just when I start to read a book I have to finish (no matter is it's something like "The Historian")
Old 05-26-2006, 03:25 PM
Hellraiser

Quote:
Originally posted by Jacob Singer
Vrolok? Ok I try to find it when I'll finish Chaman. It's not bad (for a best seller) but nothing special. My problem it's just when I start to read a book I have to finish (no matter is it's something like "The Historian")
I'm the same I just can't give up on a book no matter what.

As for Vrolok I saw an article in the Californian Chronicle about it and they called the author the "new Anne Rice". Its similarity to "The Historian" ends with the fact that it is a twist on the Dracula myth.

"Vrolok" however is a much more pacey read as it centres on the characters in the book and any historical references compliment the plot instead of stalling it.

Ps The Californian Chronicle article refered me to Amazon.com to buy it and its also on the Amazon.co.uk site if that's easier for you.

Read it and let me know what you think - I love discovering "new" authors the so called bestsellers seem to just churn out books for the sake of it sometimes.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:01 PM
Living Dead

The Silent Strength of Stones. It's pretty good and the author is local:)
Old 05-28-2006, 09:13 PM
Ssh...did you hear that?

Send a message via Yahoo to Miss Olivia
Right now I'm reading James Clavell's Tai Pan. He's one of my favorite authors. Shogun is one of my top three favorite books of all time.
Let your bloodline feed my youth
------------------------------
Ssshhh....did you hear that?
Old 05-29-2006, 03:16 AM
Hellraiser

Maximum Ride - James Patterson - dross - finished it in two goes had great potential just never fulfilled it.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:23 AM
Foxhole Atheist

How to pass Technical Selection Tests

&

How to pass Advanced Aptitude Tests

Not exactly riveting reading, and i cant get a handle on plotlines, but helpful enough if you have any psychometric tests coming up on the horizon.

Battle Royalty, 2009
@Wolf_Scousemac
Old 06-07-2006, 03:54 AM
Banned

i just added to more to my pile ..

some heroic fantasy book i just got called Swordsman of MArs and a canadian rocker bio by Greg Goddovitch (which is pretty damn good)