Old 04-24-2008, 11:59 AM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Zero...I'm looking at you.

SAINT JOHN, N.B. - There's still no sign of a little black monkey named April who was stolen from New Brunswick's Cherry Brook Zoo, but keepers remain optimistic she will be returned.

Zookeeper Lynda Collrin said Thursday posters with pictures of the young, brown-eyed monkey are being put up around Saint John, there's a Facebook site, and school children are joining in the search for April. "There have been no tips so far but we're not giving up hope," Collrin said in an interview.

April was stolen after someone jumped a fence, kicked in a door and nabbed her from the enclosure she shared with her family.

Collrin said April's mother, father and brother continue to call for her.

She said April's brother is taking the loss especially hard, and has not stopped searching the enclosure for her.

"It's heartbreaking," she said.

April is a rare callimico monkey, also known as a Goeldi's monkey. The primates, originally from the Amazon region, are known for their close, family ties.

They are tiny animals, and it's estimated nine-month old April weighs only about half a kilogram.

Collrin said that if the monkey was stolen by someone who simply wants a pet, there's a good chance that person will realize the high-maintenance primate with her special protein diet is too much work and will return her.

She said if someone feeds April grapes and citrus fruits, she could go into insulin shock.

Collrin is also hoping someone might spot the monkey and report her whereabouts.

"Someone having a little black monkey would be hard to miss," Collrin said.

----------------------------------------

Probably the most depressing thing I've heard in ages...
Old 04-25-2008, 12:38 PM
Some sort of shouty cat

Send a message via MSN to Abominus
http://www.livingrainforest.org/lib/img/goeldis.jpg

How do you walk out with that?
Old 04-25-2008, 01:28 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

UPDATE:

Published: Friday, April 25, 2008

A rare baby monkey stolen from the Cherry Brook Zoo in Saint John, N.B., was successfully reunited with its parents and brother Friday morning.

"They're just bouncing off the walls down there," said Lynda Collrin, the director of zoo development. "The mother and father are jumping from branch to branch. The little baby and the brother are chasing each other all over the place, which is what they normally do."

"One was on one end of the branch, one was on the other and the mother and father were sitting there watching, and the little female and the brother met in the middle of the branch and touched noses."

April, a South American Callimico goeldii monkey, was abducted from her cage Tuesday night, sparking a desperate plea from zookeepers for her safe return.

Police got a call around midnight Thursday from a man with "a low voice," who provided the exact location of the baby monkey. They found her behind a building near a gas station in a plastic container with a few air vents cut into it, and speedily returned her to the zoo.

"Two police cars came with lights flashing and they hadn't touched her," said zoo employee Shirley MacAulay. "They didn't even know if she was alive or not."

April spent the night in a crate and was returned to her family during the morning feeding time.

"There's always the possibility of rejection," said Collrin, a primatologist. "Is there a smell on her they're going to find abnormal? Are they so upset by this that they're going to turn on her? You never know."

"But there was absolutely no rejection whatsoever. They were just so excited to have her back."

Collrin said the zoo will not press charges but a police investigation into the heist continues.

Police said a note was attached to the top of the box April was found in. It said the animal had been cared for and fed, although it also suggested the zoo increase its security measures.

---------------------

Yay! She's home :)

@ Abominus - Wouldn't be that hard really...damn thing weighs less than a pound. Plus considering the funding that this zoo gets, their security system is about as high tech as a padlock.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:11 AM
Umbra Asylum

Send a message via Yahoo to Rayne
I wonder if it was returned because the thief read the newspaper article (or heard on the news) about how the monkey could go into shock or die if not fed properly, and figured it was too much hassle

That also makes me wonder if the zoo didn't just float that story so someone WOULD think that it was too much hassle...Hmmm
Old 04-26-2008, 06:32 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
That also makes me wonder if the zoo didn't just float that story so someone WOULD think that it was too much hassle...Hmmm
Expanding upon this...who says the whole thing wasn't just for publicity + pity?

This whole thing is local news for me; the zoo is literally about 15 minutes drive from my house. Anyway...they are notoriously hard pressed for funding. I hate to suggest something like this, but who says that a zookeeper didn't just take the monkey on a little vacation to win the pity (and paychecks) of the community?

Considering that a municipal election is less than a month away, I'd have to bet that there's more to this than meets the eye. Or maybe I'm just paranoid - one or the other:p
Old 04-27-2008, 07:57 AM
Umbra Asylum

Send a message via Yahoo to Rayne
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Return View Post
Expanding upon this...who says the whole thing wasn't just for publicity + pity?

This whole thing is local news for me; the zoo is literally about 15 minutes drive from my house. Anyway...they are notoriously hard pressed for funding. I hate to suggest something like this, but who says that a zookeeper didn't just take the monkey on a little vacation to win the pity (and paychecks) of the community?

Considering that a municipal election is less than a month away, I'd have to bet that there's more to this than meets the eye. Or maybe I'm just paranoid - one or the other:p
Actually...The note said they should increase security...Set up for an appeal for more money to increase security?...I doubt that's what the money would be used for, but still...Interesting
Old 05-01-2008, 01:27 PM
my opinion counts dammit

Send a message via MSN to stubbornforgey Send a message via Yahoo to stubbornforgey
I think the return should be paid an award for having that monkey ..umm..returned.
I think zero read this..felt really really bad or was sick of harrasment and sent it back..
good on the both of you. 'applaud all around'