Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > True Crime
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-09-2004, 01:35 AM
Umbra Asylum

Send a message via Yahoo to bloodrayne
Mayor Fails Drug Test

Coyne Faces More Jail Time After Failing Drug Screens
Tests Positive For Cocaine

Rocky River - Former Brook Park Mayor Thomas J. Coyne failed two drug screens, testing positive for cocaine once and purposely diluting a second test the same week, according to his probation officer.

Coyne appeared before Rocky River Municipal Judge Donna Congeni Fitzsimmons via video link Thursday.

After listening to probation officer Judy Nash's description of the two failed tests, on Oct. 17 and 22, the judge said enough evidence existed to show that Coyne violated his probation.

Coyne did not admit the violations and, through lawyer Joan Synenberg, asked for a hearing to explain his side. The hearing will be Wednesday. Coyne could be sent to jail for six months.

Coyne did not speak.

The arrest of the 55-year-old Wednesday was his second since being sentenced to three days in jail and probation for drunken driving earlier this year.

He first violated probation in August, when he passed out nearly naked in a North Olmsted driveway after a night of drinking at a local Mexican restaurant. He spent 10 days in jail after a month of rehabilitation at the Betty Ford clinic.

Two weeks ago, Coyne's urine samples were sent to a lab and analyzed for many different types of drugs.

After Thursday's hearing, Nash did not speak specifically about Coyne's case but said that people can dilute urine samples by drinking a lot of fluids or adding water to the urine sample. Several kits are available that claim to "clean" a "dirty" sample.

Nash said that after someone tests positive for a drug, the urine can be further analyzed to determine whether the level of use is high or low.

Coyne's nephew Chris Bakos, who attended Thursday's hearing, said he was shocked that Coyne was using cocaine but that it demonstrates he needs more support from family and friends.

"He's my uncle and I know him well and it just doesn't fit," Bakos said outside the courtroom, surrounded by television cameras. He said the fact that Coyne's illness has elevated from drinking to cocaine use puts Coyne in a "grave situation."

Coyne was released on a $7,500 bond. Fitzsimmons ordered him to report to Nash Monday morning and follow all of the conditions of his probation.

My Karma ran over my Dogma

God WAS my co-pilot...But, we crashed in the mountains and...I had to eat him

I'm suffocating in what's become of me...
The rancid remains of what I used to be