Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-18-2014, 04:52 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
I preferred the sequel because it was a lot darker in tone (same deal with Final Destination 2). Urban Legend was part of the whole Screamteen hangover of that era where most American horror was quite lightweight/fun. That era was touted as some kind of revitalization of the genre but in many ways it almost killed it. Ginger Snaps was one of the few films of that era I'd actually rate as a decent horror flick.
I'm remembering a bit more about the Urban Legend sequel now. At least that the setting was good and the actress from Once Upon a Time was in it. The rent-a-cop from the first one too, I think. But I do like the Ginger Snaps movies. The setting of the third one as a prequel confused me when I first watched it.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:50 PM
Evil Dead

Toad Road (2012)

This one messed with my head a little bit. It's a bit like a mumblecore film, with lots of meandering, improvised dialogue. However, since most of the activity in the film is not simulated, including drug use, pranks with fire, and drunken face-punching, it comes across more as a raw, wasted youth documentary than a pure drama. The fiction stuff (i.e., the horror parts), are surreal and genuinely creepy, and intertwined with the docu-stuff makes for a disorienting experience.

As if the film were not already chilling enough, I noticed during the closing credits that the film is "In Memory of Sara Anne Jones," who I recognized to be one of the two main actors. My first thought was that it was a Blair Witch-like marketing ploy, but a quick internet search reveals ample evidence that the actress died of a heroine overdose not long after making the film. Given that her story arc in the film is that of a newbie drug user who goes further down a spiral of (unsimulated) drug use, this fact left me shaken. I'm still not sure what to make of the experience, other than I enjoyed the film and am still thinking about it, and am grateful to have survived my years of similarly reckless behavior.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:21 PM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
The setting of the third one as a prequel confused me when I first watched it.
Yeah I really didn't like that one when I first saw it. Been meaning to re-watch the series and see if I like the third film this time round. The first sequel was entertaining but thematically it was dumbed down compared to the original. Still it's got nothing on the embarrassingly bad high school level feminist ideology of Nurse 3D

Valentine was another one of that era that wasn't too bad either IMO. Definitely no masterpiece but it was good to see a straight up slasher without all the overdone self reflexive bullshit.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:57 PM
Pirate of Bengal

We Are What We Are (2013)

The Mexican original was far more engaging & entertaining. Though it's not a straight remake as plotwise both are quite different but where the original version did have some social commentary, it just a tale of a cannibal-family, made decently with a slow & subtle approach.

>>: B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giganticface View Post

Toad Road (2012)

As if the film were not already chilling enough, I noticed during the closing credits that the film is "In Memory of Sara Anne Jones," who I recognized to be one of the two main actors. My first thought was that it was a Blair Witch-like marketing ploy, but a quick internet search reveals ample evidence that the actress died of a heroine overdose not long after making the film. Given that her story arc in the film is that of a newbie drug user who goes further down a spiral of (unsimulated) drug use, this fact left me shaken.
That's really sad. I was thinking to gave it a watch but read couple of mixed reviews of it and so wasn't sure. There's plenty of interesting movies to watch, I might give it a shot someday.

Last edited by roshiq; 02-18-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:15 AM
From The Beyond

Twelve (2008) Reasonable slasher about a man disfigured while in prison getting revenge on the twelve jurors that put him there. Was decent enough-kept me entertained was paced pretty well. The killer was a little bit derivative of Leatherface but other than that worth a watch.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:45 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

British gangsters followed by American gangsters.

Even with a very used story, the British gangsters are infinitely more interesting to watch.

Recognizing this, the head American gangster was also British :)

(the photos ended up posting out of order)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg l_1213648_42fa133f.jpg (48.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg the_town_bluray.jpg (34.0 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by urgeok2; 02-19-2014 at 03:47 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:13 AM
Evil Dead

The Devils Due..I thought it was a pretty lame movie...One to avoid guys
Old 02-19-2014, 05:33 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giganticface View Post
As if the film were not already chilling enough, I noticed during the closing credits that the film is "In Memory of Sara Anne Jones," who I recognized to be one of the two main actors. My first thought was that it was a Blair Witch-like marketing ploy, but a quick internet search reveals ample evidence that the actress died of a heroine overdose not long after making the film. Given that her story arc in the film is that of a newbie drug user who goes further down a spiral of (unsimulated) drug use, this fact left me shaken. I'm still not sure what to make of the experience, other than I enjoyed the film and am still thinking about it, and am grateful to have survived my years of similarly reckless behavior.
Oh wow, I had no idea that she overdosed in real-life. That definitely changes my opinion of the film, especially since the actress is my age. Gives me the chills. God, what a tragic waste of a young life. That heroin is really something else. I mean, just look at Philip Seymour Hoffman. Ugh.

Anyway...

...on a not-as-depressing note, here's my round-up from last week.

Kissed (1996)--A Canadian film about a young woman involved in necrophilia. The movie seemed to focus more on the philosophical (and dare I even say it?) "romantic" aspects of the taboo, unlike "Aftermath" which was all about unhinged sexuality and brutal perversion. The female lead did a great job with the role, although I think her supposed reverence and "love" for the departed was still an act of extreme violation in so many ways. But hey, it made for a great horror Valentine's Day movie. Much more engaging than the usual rom-com schlock.

Paranoid (2000)--I was a huge fan of Jessica Alba when she starred in the TV series Dark Angel, but beyond that, I think she's proved herself to be less of an artist and more of a "I'm too pretty not to be in movies" type of actress. Since Paranoid was one of her very early, pre-Dark Angel roles, I thought I'd give it a chance. But what I can say, Alba is a mess, the story is a mess and the only thing I somewhat enjoyed was seeing Iain Glen outside of "Game of Thrones".

Satan's Little Helper (2004)--This one was just too ridiculous for me and the acting was terrible. A poor man's "Trick r' Treat", I suppose.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:23 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

Killer Joe

Mesmerizing, dialogue and music driven film. Half unpleasant, half funny.
It strikes a lasting impression.

Maniac (remake)

Effective and well made for what it is. I have to admit i find slasher horror like this a soulless exercise i usually avoid but i was curious.

Loved the Gorgio Moroder influenced score that really drove home the 80's salute but to say i enjoyed the film would be a grand exaggeration.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:10 AM
Evil Dead

Mama...love this movie..one of the best movies of 2013..

Tags
movie