Old 12-22-2008, 09:52 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

my kid thought it was awsome ...
Old 12-22-2008, 10:14 AM
Banned

I thought it was ok. Like urge has stated....the casting could have been better.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:52 AM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgeok2 View Post
i didnt hate it - i didnt love it ...

it wasnt as well structured or fun as any of the alien or predator films ... and i found it hard to readjust my expectations as i'm a big fan of both those franchises (i like all 6 films)

I thought AVP felt rushed and lazy ..

there were some things i liked about it - the creature effects were up to par ... but the cast was weak and the story was goofy.

the only reason this thing took place under the ice is because they obviously didnt have the budget to do the jungle or the streets again....

All in all it just didnt have the impact any of the alien or predator films had - and considering this was a combination of the 2 franchises - expectations were high - and not met.

i think the worst crime was in the casting. Every single alien and predator film to this point had a strong stellar cast.

this was not the case in AVP ... just a bunch of pretty kids ... it might as well just had been a cheap slasher film.

It was rushed alright. Fox made Anderson hurry with the end-product the moment they had the script in their hands. They held Cameron off for as long as they could (seems like Alien 5 wasnt their priority, sadly...and Cameron's rep didnt help much either), and the result? We had a half-baked piece of cornbread on our plates.

The casting left a lot to be desired. The female lead couldnt have been more straight-faced...for chrissakes she was dealing with Aliens and Predators all alone! At least the scream queens of the 70s and 80s did their bit in screaming their lungs off...and here we have a new-Millenium Ripley-wannabe who isnt much bothered by that fact AT ALL. As for the rest of the group, the less said the better. Henriksen was wasted, IMO...he had the strongest role of all the characters. The accents looked forced, and so did the characterisation-fittings.

I really see this as a much cheaper jungle flick than one set on ice. Suburbia might have cost more, but jungle was where this should have been in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodstok View Post
I really disliked it. It was filled with references, which i typically love, but it was done with the ham-fisted ineptitude i have come to expect from Anderson.

A quick note for the human/predator teamup naysayers... It happened in the comic books, so you cant really blame Anderson for that. Even the lead predator dying, carving his symbol on the human chick's forehead thing was pulled directly from the original series.

The gratuitous use of bullet time annoyed the shit out of me and moved Anderson from being a poor film maker to retarded Uwe Boll territory in my estimation.

All told, i am glad I saw it, and even more glad I got to see it on a Free HBO weekend so all i spent was the time it took to watch it.

Yes they "borrowed" from that one comic, like I mentioned above. But the setting in the comics was a bit different than that shown here. The human heroine there actually engaged and fought off an Alien, before killing it. Ergo the "acceptance" of an "equal warrior" of sorts by the Predator, sort of like a "mutual hunter respect".

But wasnt the Ripley-clone begging for her life on her knees (bowed after throwing him his plasma cannon) in the flick before the Alien jumped on the Predator? Ergo my question...how can such a "creature" command any sort of respect from an "advanced and fierce alien warrior with ethics"?

The more I think of it, the more I feel that AvP is a great example of lost potential. Anderson had everything in his hands, but he made a total mishmash of it.

I still dont regard it as a bad movie, or one which I would hate. I would rather watch it again, groan audibly, and with a long sigh, mumble to myself, "What if..........?"
Old 12-22-2008, 04:18 PM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodstok View Post
A quick note for the human/predator teamup naysayers... It happened in the comic books, so you cant really blame Anderson for that. Even the lead predator dying, carving his symbol on the human chick's forehead thing was pulled directly from the original series.
Exactly dude. The Predator is more of a thinking creature than the Alien who runs more on instinct. A Predator would team up with someone to get the assistance they needed in the "hunt".

I'll echo the posts of bad casting and wasted potential. This flick is so mediocre that I don't love or hate it I just don't care.