Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-22-2012, 01:00 PM
Alone in Empy Town

Send a message via Skype™ to masterj
Intense horror films

Hello, horror film lovers! :)
I'm searching for really good INTENSE (including mystery) psychologic (atmospheric) horror films :) You know, the films that grab you and hold you on the edge of your seat trying to understand who or what is the antagonist, how the protagonist will survive and such... Basically the film should have strong script, without any useless 'talk' minutes that give no real information in the end and doesn't lead to the final scene directly.

Some examples, that I really liked:
Joyride (2001)
Vacancy (2007)

and one that I can not remember, but it's name was something with the "call" or "missed call"... About a girl that comes to a house to watch a child as nanny. And then bizarre things start to happen as the killer is after her in that house... or something :D

Also A Perfect Getaway (2009) was quite enjoyable to me.

Maybe you will have some good suggestions as to what other films should I watch... :) And thank you all for reading this kinda long thread ;)

P.S> I'm most interesned in the films, released after year 2000 (I know, I know, that 70s-80s are the best year for horror films, but I just want to see what last 10 years gave us). Also please no "guts/head/body cutting, torture only" films. I like killer movies, but it has to be one intelligent killer.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:29 PM
Misanthrope

Inside was very intense and one of the better horror films in the last 10 years.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:10 PM
Alone in Empy Town

Send a message via Skype™ to masterj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
Inside was very intense and one of the better horror films in the last 10 years.
Isn't this one a torture type of film? I mean like gross with cutting of parts and stuff?
Old 01-23-2012, 02:24 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterj View Post
Isn't this one a torture type of film? I mean like gross with cutting of parts and stuff?
A little more then say Vacancy.

You might want to check out THE STRANGERS. I loved Vacancy and The Strangers is right up that alley.

While it's not edge or your seat, it's a great movie MAY with Angela Bettis is magnificent.

If out right brutally is your thing MARTYRS is a not to miss. I personally hated this movie because of the "explanation". Which was just STUPID. But, for outright shock and awe Martyrs is tops.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:09 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterj View Post
Just a duplicate of above. I didn't realize everything on here was checked before being posted. Weird.

Last edited by vanlutz; 01-23-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:30 PM
Demon from Ago

I'll just rattle off a few here:

High Tension/Haute Tension
Funny Games
The Collector
Laid to Rest I & II
Hatchet I & II
Old 01-23-2012, 07:04 PM
HDC Idol

Based on your request for a movie that has you wondering about the antagonist, I think you might dig Surveillance (2008): http://www.imdb.com/rg/em_share/rt_i...itle/tt0409345

Inside is a great flick, but if you aren't a fan of gore and violence, I say stay away. It's not a torture flick, if that's what you're concerned about; just very violent and absolutely intense .
Old 01-24-2012, 06:16 AM
Eater of Heads

Good atmospheric horror movies that build tension, for me anyway, include Session 9, Insidious, Lake Mungo, The Innkeepers, Jacob's Ladder and to a lesser extent Fragile. All have supernatural elements. Some of them might be too slow burning for you.

I'm not so huge on the home invasion movies but I can second Funny Games and The Strangers, and perhaps even The Children, though that's a bit different than the others.
Life is just a dream. If we're lucky a nightmare. Dreams fade away, nightmares stick to your brain like peanut butter to the roof of an unsuspecting mouth. Horror speaks to what makes us human. Peanut butter speaks to what makes us hungry.

www.lifeafterundeath.com
Old 01-24-2012, 11:41 AM
Demon from Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraveDave View Post
Good atmospheric horror movies that build tension, for me anyway, include Session 9, Insidious, Lake Mungo, The Innkeepers, Jacob's Ladder and to a lesser extent Fragile. All have supernatural elements. Some of them might be too slow burning for you.

I'm not so huge on the home invasion movies but I can second Funny Games and The Strangers, and perhaps even The Children, though that's a bit different than the others.
Never heard of Lake Mungo, what's it about?
Old 01-24-2012, 11:48 AM
Eater of Heads

It's a mockumentary about a family who lose their daughter to drowning. Weird stuff start happening around their house. She shows up in photos, videos and dreams. It's very subtle and, I thought, quite good with a pretty good jump scare thrown in. It's very slow building though, so some people might find it boring. You can check out my full opinion on my site if you feel like it, but yeah, that's it in a nutshell.
Life is just a dream. If we're lucky a nightmare. Dreams fade away, nightmares stick to your brain like peanut butter to the roof of an unsuspecting mouth. Horror speaks to what makes us human. Peanut butter speaks to what makes us hungry.

www.lifeafterundeath.com