Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > True Crime
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-11-2006, 08:13 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to azathoth777 Send a message via Yahoo to azathoth777
Newborn Suffocates Between Sleeping Parents

Carlos Franco didn't live long enough to see his first sunrise.

Only hours old, the infant apparently suffocated after slipping between his sleeping parents in a shared bed at Torrance Memorial Medical Center, authorities said Wednesday.

The child's death over the weekend appears to have been an accident, but police said they were awaiting the Los Angeles County coroner's autopsy results for confirmation.

Carlos was born at 9:20 a.m. Saturday. After a feeding around midnight, the infant's parents, both juveniles from Long Beach whose identities were withheld, climbed into the hospital bed and went to sleep, police said.

"The father put the baby on a pillow on his chest," said Torrance Police Officer Dave Crespin. "Mom woke up at 2:30 a.m. and found the baby in between both of them. The baby was not breathing."

The child was pronounced dead at 3:38 a.m.

In a statement, the hospital said it has a policy and practice of cautioning new parents against sleeping in the bed with an infant "because of the risk to the baby of accidental death."

Citing patient confidentiality rules, spokeswoman Ann O'Brien said the hospital could not confirm whether it warned the parents about its policy.

Lea Brooks, a spokeswoman for the California Department of Health Services, said she could not comment on whether her agency would investigate the hospital to determine if it followed its policy.

The fatality was the third in as many days involving a Los Angeles County infant who died after sharing a bed with an adult, said Craig Harvey, a spokesman for the coroner.

On Friday, Daisy Lynn Harper of Los Angeles died 26 days after she was born. A day later, Dayanara Cervantes of La Puente, who was 46 days old, also died. Both infants died at home.

Bed sharing is being investigated as a factor in all three deaths, Harvey said. Investigators are awaiting lab tests before ruling on the causes, which could take six to eight weeks, he said.

These incidents underscore the dangers of infant bed sharing.

"The evidence is growing that bed sharing, as practiced in the United States and other Western countries, is more hazardous than the infant sleeping on a separate sleep surface," the American Academy of Pediatrics warned in a policy statement published last year.

Most U.S. hospitals do not permit infants to sleep in the bed with their parents, said Dr. Rangasamy Ramanathan, director of the newborn intensive care unit at Los Angeles County USC Medical Center.

"This is definitely a no-no," he said. "Hospital beds are for one adult. There's hardly any space for a baby…. It doesn't take much to suffocate a newborn baby."

Yet discouraging infant bed sharing has been controversial, as some parents believe there are benefits.

One study published in the May issue of Pediatrics showed that bed sharing infants "engaged in more feeding and more infant-mother interactions than cot-sleep infants." Also, as breastfeeding has become more popular, studies show that bed sharing has increased in the U.S.

A separate study published in 2003 showed that the percentage of infants sharing an adult bed overnight jumped from 5.5% in 1993 to 12.8% in 2000.

Still, the safest place for a newborn infant to sleep is in a crib in the same room as the parents, said Dr. Angelika Rampal, assistant clinical professor of pediatrics at UCLA's Mattel Children's Hospital.
----------------------------
I don't have children, but even I know not to do this.
i demand and expect quality.
right now, once and for all.
quality time.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:59 AM
Fear scented candle

Defintately way in the "DUH!" column...

My baby is 8 months old now, and we never once did this.. See?

When you are an adult, you are big. babies are small. babies dont know things yet, like ot stay away from big things. And since this was a NEWBORN, he could not even crawl, much less wiggle....

On the polus side, the parents will be punished by themselves far worse than any court could. i cant imagine...
Old 08-14-2006, 07:46 PM
Evil Dead

Really, it's probably for the best. People this stupid should not breed...
quality time.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:50 PM
Grrrr.....

Send a message via Yahoo to ENTITY2000
well i am guilty of it i slept on the couch the first year of my babies life she slept in the bassinet right nxt 2 me or on my chest, i know now that was a mistake cause i can't get her to sleep in her own bed now! she has to have a hand full of my hair to go to sleep so that means she has to be in the bed with me!
Old 08-14-2006, 07:54 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by ENTITY2000
well i am guilty of it i slept on the couch the first year of my babies life she slept in the bassinet right nxt 2 me or on my chest, i know now that was a mistake cause i can't get her to sleep in her own bed now! she has to have a hand full of my hair to go to sleep so that means she has to be in the bed with me!
Sleeping on a couch with baby on chest is alittle different then between two adults on a bed.
quality time.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:06 PM
Grrrr.....

Send a message via Yahoo to ENTITY2000
that's true!

@azathoth, you sure do like true crime! are you into law?
Old 08-14-2006, 08:14 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by ENTITY2000
@azathoth, you sure do like true crime! are you into law?
No, it's more just a hobby/interest. I took Criminology classes in High School, but that's as far as it went. I just find the crazy things people will do very fascinating.
quality time.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:55 AM
Fear scented candle

Kind of took over the true crimes posts for bloodrayne :)
Old 08-15-2006, 07:06 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by Vodstok
Kind of took over the true crimes posts for bloodrayne :)
I'd be more than happy if she posted more stories. But I suspect the problem my be we get our news from the same place.
quality time.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:41 PM
Umbra Asylum

Send a message via Yahoo to bloodrayne
Quote:
Originally posted by azathoth777
I'd be more than happy if she posted more stories. But I suspect the problem my be we get our news from the same place.
Actually...I DO get most of my news from there...But, there are a multitude of other places as well:)...That one's just the fastest for when I don't have a lot of time (such as ALWAYS now that the baby's here)...But, it looks like you've pretty much got it wrapped up for me

My Karma ran over my Dogma

God WAS my co-pilot...But, we crashed in the mountains and...I had to eat him

I'm suffocating in what's become of me...
The rancid remains of what I used to be