Old 06-05-2016, 08:30 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueWolf View Post
Personally I think it's story is more plausible than, for example, Nightmare On Elm Street or The Howling; a teen becomes possessed and priests are bought in who are struggling with their faith.

I've seen scarier films; I love a good splatterfest, but the creepy ones that get your brain thinking do it for me.
I thought it was very realistic too. Shot in a very serious semi cinema verite style.

What films were scarier than the Exorcist to you?

Old 06-06-2016, 12:35 AM
Total Creep

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBlueWolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
I thought it was very realistic too. Shot in a very serious semi cinema verite style.

What films were scarier than the Exorcist to you?
I enjoyed The Strangers. While it's not up there as a really scary film, the thought of 3 masked psychos terrorizing and killing a random couple "because they were home" is a very plausible concept and something that could actually happen.

Handyman I like because his story is something that could realistically have happened and it's transition into an urban legend is well done, more so because it deals with the uncomfortable subject of racism.

The Banshee Chapter had me on the edge of my seat wondering where it was going. I'm a fan of H.P. Lovecraft too.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:16 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueWolf View Post
I enjoyed The Strangers. While it's not up there as a really scary film, the thought of 3 masked psychos terrorizing and killing a random couple "because they were home" is a very plausible concept and something that could actually happen.

Handyman I like because his story is something that could realistically have happened and it's transition into an urban legend is well done, more so because it deals with the uncomfortable subject of racism.

The Banshee Chapter had me on the edge of my seat wondering where it was going. I'm a fan of H.P. Lovecraft too.
Sounds like you mean "Candyman" as opposed to Handyman, right?

You found those three scarier than Exorcist? I know a lot of people who found Candyman scary. For me it came off a bit more weird than scary, but I'm afraid I had too many distractions the first time I saw it. I don't think I've seen the other two. If you're saying they're scarier, I'll have to check them out.

Last edited by Sculpt; 06-08-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:38 AM
Scholar

After consulting someone older and wiser then me, because I do not find the Exorcist scary, I was told that the reason was due to it being cutting edge for its time. There weren't a lot of slashers, or gore or high special effects movies during that time period. Most of the scare tactics in Exorcist were new when it was released.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:04 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
After consulting someone older and wiser then me, because I do not find the Exorcist scary, I was told that the reason was due to it being cutting edge for its time. There weren't a lot of slashers, or gore or high special effects movies during that time period. Most of the scare tactics in Exorcist were new when it was released.
Not really. The FX were nifty, even by today's standards, but they weren't ground breaking for 1973. The concept, subject matter and it's presentation was new. The sound and makeup are just fricken wicked -- again, I don't know if we'd want to slap on the "cutting edge for its time" on those either. Rather they are just expertly effective for all time.

The Exorcist scares people today. I'd assume movies don't scare you anymore, period. Maybe... maybe, if this was the third horror film you ever saw, it would have scared you. After someone's seen some 300 horror films, they're pretty darn desensitized to horror films in general.