Old 03-18-2014, 06:22 AM
Undead

Most wanted remake is.......

although not a fan of remakes or as the industry valles them reimagining or rebooting, I was curious. Sure, I know it's a little like reprinting the Mona Lisa in that it is simply recreating something already established by someone else, but, with today's technology, what would many of us horror fans like to see re presented?

Personally, for me:
Curse of the Demon
Legend of Hell House (more like the book than the film though)
Call of Cthulhu (the Andrew Leman short)
Old 03-18-2014, 06:46 AM
Evil is Better

I think a remake of Gremlins would be cool if they kept it dark and did some of the things from the original script that they didn't use.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:21 PM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

There is actually a 1979 version of 'Casting the Runes' made for TV - it's low budget but still enjoyable though no where near as good as Night of the Demon.

I dunno if a big budget, CGI Monster version of COC would do the story justice. I love the 2005 version of the film, even if it's budget lets it down a little at the end.

Again, I love the original Legend of Hell House though it was a pity that they boiled down the history of Hell House to a couple of lines by Roddy McDowell's character (though they were great lines). Richard Matheson the author of the novel also wrote the screen play, so I wonder what the reasons he had for changes he made from the book. Did he consider his material too explicit for the screen?

Talking of Richard Matheson, a remake of I am Legend that is closer to the source material would be interesting.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:54 PM
Evil Dead

I'd like to see Videodrome updated somehow. VHS tapes are ancient history. It would have to be by Cronenberg, of course, or perhaps his son.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:38 PM
Evil Dead

I don't think much could be done to top Curse of the Demon. The best thing you could do is get rid of the goofy monster close-ups that were added later against Tourneur's edit. That would basically make it into a perfect movie.

I mentioned before that one movie that would benefit from a higher budget is The Stone Tapes. Great screenplay, great performances, but kind of a shoddy BBC production. It could be redone better. Along those lines, I think the Quatermass movies would benefit tremendously from a bigger budget. They are effects heavy movies made in a time when there wasn't much energy put into visual effects. The ideas, characters, and dialogue are still golden though. Also I would love to see what some sharp young director could do with the Dr. Mabuse series, I think that has potential to be completely badass. One more thing, I think the Blob could be made into a pretty menacing monster. It was always treated in a campy manner, but it could be a real nightmare in the hands of competent film makers. For a taste of how the Blob could be truly horrifying, check out this old episode of the radio play 'Lights Out'. Take that play, and give it to some serious film makers with a 50 mill budget and that could potentially be amazing.

Last edited by shadyJ; 03-18-2014 at 11:51 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:27 AM
Evil Dead

One more thing, if a remake of Legend of Hell House were to be done, it would need to be done by someone who knows when to use restraint, you would could end up having another 'The Haunting' remake, a grossly inappropriate approach to that material. I think some of the Japanese horror film makers would be a better match than most American directors, perhaps with the exception of someone like Ti West. The Japanese seem to have inherited the Val Lewton tradition of restraint and suggestion to build tension, as opposed to vapid attempts to shock with grotesque images and sudden loud noises.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:31 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Good Call on The Stone Tapes...
I'm a big fan of the fan of the Quatermass movies - I do think they they were already done pretty effectively, maybe I am more forgiving of old effects though. I think Quatermass and the Pit (the film) look particulary effective (though I prefer some aspects of the Tv Series).

As a kid I loved The Quatermass Conclusion but it is a bit of a mess. There are some good ideas there - I would have loved to see them better executed.

Did you see the 2005 BBC remake of The Quatermass Experiment? It wasn't bad though it lacked something (maybe Jason Flemyng as the Professor).
Old 03-19-2014, 01:41 AM
Evil Dead

I would welcome a remake of the classic It,not the Stephen King version but the Herbert J. Leder one starring Roddy McDowall.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:39 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox13 View Post
Did you see the 2005 BBC remake of The Quatermass Experiment? It wasn't bad though it lacked something (maybe Jason Flemyng as the Professor).
Didn't see that 2005 Quatermass. I'll have to look into it.

Another movie I always thought was an idea that deserved better treatment was Cronenburg's Shivers. I heard something about someone attempting to remake that, but I don't know anything else about that project. I think the material should have had a lot more sexual explicitness than Cronenburg was able to give it back in '75. You could launch an entire subgenre of 'body horror' from that movie, 'sexual horror'. Think of how much sexual insecurity people have as it is, and how easy it would be to exploit that insecurity for the purpose of horror. 'Shivers' was a great idea in that direction, but the execution was flawed, ironically due in part to the film maker's own inhibitions, in my opinion.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:46 AM
Undead

Love this. Lots of great observations and suggestions.

I've only seen one Qutermass film and being a fan of Hammer and Amicus stuff this was fine by me and agree as far as visuals go it stands the test of time. I was unaware there was a TV series?! No I need to search it out.

I Am Legend has always been a favorite book but I still enjoy Omega Man and Last Man on Earth despite the liberties taken. Heck, a remake of Duel with all the petrol fueled films in the last several years could work. Capitalize on the trend.

Cronenberg. The guy that finally received a lifetime achievement award up here in Canada. The man has an unusually destitute vision of horror. Touches on something we all fear which is the corruption of our flesh. Rabid would be another good one. I still like Videodrome though, the lower level of technology seems to work, it would feel a bit like Ringu replacing the tape with a DVD. Less organic technology. The more tactile the experience the more it strikes home for me. Like the idea of someone finding an old cassette tape, listening to family Christmases and birthday stuff, then at the end a hiss and the sound of someone being killed. Knowing the tape was reused and forgotten. Hmmmm a script idea.

Gremlins. Interesting idea. Would introduce the franchise to a whole new generation.

Just thought the TV movie "The Norliss Tapes" would have the potential to launch a series of supernatural investigations a la Supernatural.

Oooooh. Spectre!